• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR .223 Proof Research Upgrade?

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
My low budget RPR .223 trainer has steadily consumed far more then my initial investment intent: PRS, Timney, AO stuff, Atlas, etc. I just really enjoy shooting it and considering my local range is limited to 200y it just makes sense. Now I am focused on better reading wind which blows 20-30 mph here constantly and my fundementals. This brings me to the question of upgrading the factory barrel for a Proof Research CF tube. I have been pretty satisfied with the factory barrel. It shoots sub MOA easily when I do my part, usually .6 - .7" 5 shots at 100y but also seems to occassionally and unexplicably throw a shot when I didnt feel I blew it. I am wondering if the investment in the Proof CF barrel would improve consistency and skinny the groups down even further, and if so, how much? The barrel would end up costing as much as I paid for the rifle new (~$750) so its a serious question on if the juice is worth the squeeze or am I asking too much considering at the end of the day its an off the shelf Ruger production rifle. I see a lot of guys upgrading the 6.5 RPR with Proof barrels but dont ever recall hearing anyone doing it with a .223. Thoughts?

Reactions: Islas82
Not too sure that very many do .223 pre-fits for the RPR. I believe CarbonSix does, but When I was looking into it several months ago, I couldn't find anyone else that was doing the RPR in .223.

That might be different now a days. Good luck. If you do find some, it'll be a neat project.

Do you need the CF weight savings?

Need? No. But she’s no lightweight that’s for sure. With my OBR mount and gen 2 pst plus suppressor it’s pretty hefty. I would consider an all steel or SST replacement. What have you got in mind?

In my experience, going to a higher quality cut rifled barrel doesn't improve accuracy regardless of what ammo you put in it. I think your best bet for improving accuracy would be tailoring the ammo for the barrel. Perhaps if you've already done this and just topped out what the factory barrel will do, then buying a top shelf barrel will yield results. I only have one Proof CF barrel and it is a picky bitch. It is very specific about what bullets it will shoot well.

.233 bolt guns are really fun though

Yeah, Ive tried several different match loads for it. for my range (200y) Ive found Black Hills 52gr HP Match to be the best. I have some Prime 50gr Match that I havent tried yet. Tried lots of 68,69,75 and 77gr loads and nothing did any better then the 52 Black Hills, but all costed more. I hand load for my 308 and a coupel others but havent fooled with hand loads for the .223 yet

Curious as to what you ended up doing? Am actually on the same boat now am looking at the proof .223 wylde barrel (steel) as an upgrade. I too have a lot invested on this “cheap” factory rifle, I just have a lot of fun shooting it.

Curious as to what you ended up doing? Am actually on the same boat now am looking at the proof .223 wylde barrel (steel) as an upgrade. I too have a lot invested on this “cheap” factory rifle, I just have a lot of fun shooting it.

Proof barrels are amazing and worth it whether you're talking SS or CF. Their SS prefits are an absolute bargain for what you get for the $$ too. $400ish for a top tier cut rifled prefit is just insane.

I installed one of their 6.5 Creed SS RPR barrels for a buddy who gave me a pile of ammo and asked me to put some rounds through it and get it broken in for him too. Right out of the gate it was hovering just over 1/2moa with cheap Hornady American Gunner 140gr BTHP and even the worst groups were sub 3/4moa. I also shot some FGMM 130gr Berger and Prime 130gr through it that I had on hand and those groups were all sub 1/2moa with most closer to 1/4moa.

I put together a SPR a few months back using their 18" 1:7 SS barrel and it shoots right under 3/4moa IMI Razorcore 77gr and the two groups I shot with some of my Berger 77gr loads left over from another rifle were one little ragged hole. I have some FGMM 69gr and 77gr to test next time I go out.

Proof barrels are amazing and worth it whether you're talking SS or CF. Their SS prefits are an absolute bargain for what you get for the $$ too. $400ish for a top tier cut rifled prefit is just insane.

I installed one of their 6.5 Creed SS RPR barrels for a buddy who gave me a pile of ammo and asked me to put some rounds through it and get it broken in for him too. Right out of the gate it was hovering just over 1/2moa with cheap Hornady American Gunner 140gr BTHP and even the worst groups were sub 3/4moa. I also shot some FGMM 130gr Berger and Prime 130gr through it that I had on hand and those groups were all sub 1/2moa with most closer to 1/4moa.

I put together a SPR a few months back using their 18" 1:7 SS barrel and it shoots right under 3/4moa IMI Razorcore 77gr and the two groups I shot with some of my Berger 77gr loads left over from another rifle were one little ragged hole. I have some FGMM 69gr and 77gr to test next time I go out.
They’re a bit more expensive if you go thru proof directly. Where did you get yours? I see OpticsPlanet actually carries .223 wylde barrels but they’re estimating 3-4 months at the moment.

They’re a bit more expensive if you go thru proof directly. Where did you get yours? I see OpticsPlanet actually carries .223 wylde barrels but they’re estimating 3-4 months at the moment.

Stockys is a really good place to order who typically stocks the popular stuff like the RPR and AR barrels and if they're out of stock you can pretty much bet they have those on order so you most likely won't wait the full lead time. Stockys runs 10% off sales for all the major holidays so that's the best time to buy, their memorial day sale will be coming up soon.

You can also find the UPC code for the barrel you want (sometimes it can be a little tricky but they're out there) and then copy and paste the UPC into gun.deals search engine and it will show you places that have it in stock and the prices. This only works for the popular ones like the RPR barrels and such that major distributors stock and the dealers list the inventory and drop ship. That's how I found my SPR barrel in stock and I paid $390 delivered which is about what they end up for at Stockys when they run a sale too.

Gunbroker is usually another good place to find them searching by description or UPC. I know Surplus Shooting (?) is a big dealer on there that sells a lot of Proof.

You can also have any Proof dealer place an order for you. Special orders are running more like 6 months lately, but on something like that may be sooner depending on how it lines up with their production schedule.

Stockys is a really good place to order who typically stocks the popular stuff like the RPR and AR barrels and if they're out of stock you can pretty much bet they have those on order so you most likely won't wait the full lead time. Stockys runs 10% off sales for all the major holidays so that's the best time to buy, their memorial day sale will be coming up soon.

You can also find the UPC code for the barrel you want (sometimes it can be a little tricky but they're out there) and then copy and paste the UPC into gun.deals search engine and it will show you places that have it in stock and the prices. This only works for the popular ones like the RPR barrels and such that major distributors stock and the dealers list the inventory and drop ship. That's how I found my SPR barrel in stock and I paid $390 delivered which is about what they end up for at Stockys when they run a sale too.

Gunbroker is usually another good place to find them searching by description or UPC. I know Surplus Shooting (?) is a big dealer on there that sells a lot of Proof.

You can also have any Proof dealer place an order for you. Special orders are running more like 6 months lately, but on something like that may be sooner depending on how it lines up with their production schedule.
Thanks for all the info.