• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR 338 LM bolt problem (stuck in decocked position)

tranquility

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2020
Hello,

please excuse my bad english - i´m from germany :)

Half a year ago i bought a RPR 338 LM. It shoots fine so far.
after approx. 100 Rounds the following happened:

round fired, bolt could be rotated but not pulled back. i thought okay...this must be a stuck case (i read about this problem with an 308 rpr)
so i tired to tap the bolt back with a wood. this worked and i tapped the bolt completely out. but the bolt wont fit in again
first i thought the "lugs" oder chamber has been deformed. i took the rifle home and viewed in in detail.
the bolt jams on the trigger (because the firing pin is rotated in the "decocked" position). in this position it is unable to remove the bolt shroud to disassemble or recock it with a tool.
the bolt was send to the german dealer and he contacted ruger with the following answer: this happens very rare
so the dealer cut off the bolt shroud, put everything together and send the bolt last week back to me

after 4 shots it happend againg. this time with a live bullet in the chamber....not so funny

without removin the bolt shrout i don´t see a chance to get the firing pin back in its "cocked" position
the "holder" of the firing pin needs to get up the "ramps" on the bolt. i think you know what i mean ?

Has anybode heard about this problem ? or had it to himseld ? or knows a solution ?

i don´t know why the firing pin has the possibility to get in this fucked up position. as far as i know there is nothing adustible in the bolt ? an no possibility to reassemble it in a wrong way ?

thanks so far....

if anybode needs pictures i can post them...

Im not super familiar the the big rpr and your story is super confusing and seemingly conflicting but you cant just rotate it back to the cocked position?

I dont see why you dont post the pics in the first place since you seem to have em.

exactly.
i found one person with the same problem in the internet...but the thread creator didnt answer. look here:

pictures didn´t exist. i created some now

the first 2 pictures showing the firing pin with its "head". they are completely loose. they move if you shake the complete bolt.
20200513_052359.jpg

20200513_052405.jpg

the next 2 pictures show, how far i can rotate the head on the firing pin using the bolt schroud. i tried to fix the firing pin head on a table and push the bolt down to keep it rotated. the firing pin spring is a bit compressed but this doesnt work with full success. it rotates a bit more then....but not enough..and snaps back (no picture of this status)
20200513_052430.jpg

20200513_052443.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Stana
i contacted the dealer per call today. my mail hasn´t been answered.
ruger said in the end of march, that they will send a new firing pin assembly.

because of corona the dealer expects the next delivery at the end of the year.
i hope everything will be fine with the new firing pin assembly.....then its just a bit of waiting

the dealer would send me a firing pin assembly from their weapons. but they have no weapon in they warehouse

Hi everybody,
unfortunatelly I am next with same situation. New RPR 338 LM. I fired 18rounds today and...problem. Rifle has 33 rounds together!! I have RPR 6,5 CR as well and I am happy with it. Do somebody same experience with our RPR Magnum bolt problem? I am from Europe. Not easy to send it to Ruger.

Attachments

• 416F0185-5D9D-4D0C-B572-50D69B218B00.jpeg
    416F0185-5D9D-4D0C-B572-50D69B218B00.jpeg
    466.9 KB · Views: 117
  • C1172014-85AF-4629-9D21-111F2EE24682.jpeg
    C1172014-85AF-4629-9D21-111F2EE24682.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 77
  • C47C699D-9C3A-4B09-94F4-6C704069BAE7.jpeg
    C47C699D-9C3A-4B09-94F4-6C704069BAE7.jpeg
    506.1 KB · Views: 77
Hi everybody,
unfortunatelly I am next with same situation. New RPR 338 LM. I fired 18rounds today and...problem. Rifle has 33 rounds together!! I have RPR 6,5 CR as well and I am happy with it. Do somebody same experience with our RPR Magnum bolt problem? I am from Europe. Not easy to send it to Ruger.

Not sure if this is what's causing your bolt hang up but figured it's worth posting to you and then you can further diagnose the problem.

RPR Bolt Shroud problem explained

RPR Bolt Shroud Replacement

RPR Bolt disassembly and assembly

RPR Bolt Fix

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
I have a fix.

with the bolt shroud pointed up and looking at the cocking piece. Turn the cocking piece as far counted clock wise as it will go. It should be in the fired position with the tip of the firing pin protruding from the bolt face. Now In this position you should be able to compress the spring by using a flat head screw driver to force the cocking piece straight back by rotating it between the front of the cocking piece and the rear of the bolt. Be carful as it could snap back. Once it’s pushed back into the cocked position you will need to find a way to keep it there. A quarter inch squad rod did the trick for me. Now looking down in the shroud you will see the a gap between the cocking piece and the spring retainer nut (the part that is causing all the trouble) insert a flat head screw driver into that gap. Hold it there and Remove the item keeping the cocking piece back transferring the spring load to the flat head screw driver. now rotate the bolt shroud to disassemble the unit while maintaining pressure on the screw driver to maintain that gap.
It’s not the best write up but if anyone needs help feel free to pm me.

Reactions: oldblue56
Awesome! So glad I found this thread very helpful. Mjnelson's advice worked for me and saved my weekend of shooting. I'm running a RPR Magnum in 338 LM also. Sure hope this doesn't become a recurring problem.

I had same problem on my .300 win mag after maybe 400 rounds . I sent bolt in for service. It's on its way back. I wish I read this thread first to save the trouble. I can't believe they can't fix the issue. How can they not have a bolt be reliable?!? Regretting this purchase .

Got my magnum bolt back from ruger. Looks like they installed a new handle and shroud. No written explanation of what was wrong. Dry fired it s few times. Seems to work out but for how long?

The important thing is anyone that encounters this should report it to Ruger. I’m sure that if enough people report it Ruger will investigate and issue fix or recall. On that note, I only had it happen the one time. Several hundred rounds through the gun reliably since :unsure: