• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR barrel question

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I want to change out my new to me Ruger precision rifle barrel from 6 creed to a caliber I reload for. I want to do 6.5 but there is a 20" White Oak barrel in 308 for 250 NIB that I know of. I wouldn't mind 308 as I reload for that too but it's not what I really am after long term. and after selling the Creed barrel I could essentially have a new WOA barrel for 100 bucks. Anyone see anything in my logic here that I am missing?
    Thanks.

life's too short to shoot a 20" 308
    Yeah, I'm sure happy having replaced by factory 20"er for a 26"er on my .308 RPR, and . . . it's nice not having to replace a barrel so often as one would with the likes of a 6 creed.

Ok I thought it was more like an AR barrel that fits in it's groove and is locked down by the barrel nut. I've changed many savage or remage barrels. I hoped the RPR barrel swaps would be similar to not really have to worry about headspace moving.

Those of you who change out those barrels, is the headspace repeatable, in that does it effect your loads?
    It just really depends on how the chambers and threading are cut. Is it repeatable; yes, but not necessarily. So one must rely on go and no-go gauges to get the headspace that'll work and maybe the same as one before it. You're dealing with .001 of an inch, which can be a challenge to duplicate the previous headspace

Reactions: EscapeVelocity