• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR barrel swap help

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I am trying to swap the barrel on my RPR. I have heated it with a torch, wacked on the armorers wrench with a mallet, and used a 3 ft cheater bar each direction to try to budge that damn barrel nut. Do I need a action wrench for this thing. I have the barrel in a vise and it is fucking tight around the barrel and when I use the cheater bar I just spin the barrel in the vise.

Any advice?

I've pulled 2 of them and never had the dreaded gorilla torque issue. I'm surprised the cheater bar isn't working. You can buy a reaction rod for the chamber from Anarchy Arms. May be helpful.

Last edited:
    Do I wrench on the receiver itself first or just on the barrel nut AR style thing? It looks like this.
    16487687746627710966539729276624.jpg

The reaction rod goes in the receiver and locks in the chamber.

26430f95-cd45-5196-ab44-f2f6fcd64468__64525.1551221446__10322.1563901380.1280.1280__87382.1648...jpg

The barrel nut is what you need to wrench on. Make sure you're going counterclockwise as if you were looking down the barrel.

Dont, do not use a reaction rod on a Factory installed barrel as you may convert the action into a paper weight.

You need to get more grip between the barrel and the barrel vice, use some rosin powder or similar to create friction.
    Make sure you are turning the nut the correct direction.

What wrench are you using?

Reactions: 1588
    Why are you removing the barrel, to install a different barrel?

i used a 6' pipe over the end of the armorers wrench and has to put all my weight on it.

Looks like you got a friday rifle. Mine was that way as well. It took heat a breaker bar and a cheater to get it off.
    The reaction rod goes in the receiver and locks in the chamber.

View attachment 7840105
    The barrel nut is what you need to wrench on. Make sure you're going counterclockwise as if you were looking down the barrel.
    Just to clarify, that is an action wrench available from anarchy outdoors. A reaction rod is made by Geissele and is for AR’s.

Oh, I called ruger and they told me that they put the barrels on and torque the nut to 150 ft lbs.

That seems a little high to me, lol.

Hi, this is my first post. I too am interested in changing my .308 RPR's barrel. Is this the Wheeler Delta Series AR-15 Upper Vise Block that will work with the RPR receiver? Thank you!

Attachments

• 33787EC0-6D2B-451B-A013-2B5609DA15A6.jpeg
      33787EC0-6D2B-451B-A013-2B5609DA15A6.jpeg
      222.7 KB · Views: 33
    I got it off. Went over to Karl Kampfeld's place and he did it for me on the spot. Nice guy and a nice shop so if any of you need work, I'd give him a shot. It helps that he is right down the road from me.

So what is it he did to get it off that you couldn't? What tools were different?

Glad you got it off.

Am I the only one that puts the action into the vise with leather as padding? I then put a cheap fucking NcStar AR wrench on the barrel nut and whacked a couple times with a dead blow. Zero issues.

If you put just the barrel in the vise, the action may be spinning with the barrel nut.

In my opinion, you need to isolate the receiver from moving, not the barrel.

Am I the only one that puts the action into the vise with leather as padding? I then put a cheap fucking NcStar AR wrench on the barrel nut and whacked a couple times with a dead blow. Zero issues.

If you put just the barrel in the vise, the action may be spinning with the barrel nut.

In my opinion, you need to isolate the receiver from moving, not the barrel.
    I have done a couple and never had had the action spin. While your method probably works just fine, for most knuckleheads clamping the barrel is safer than crushing or warping the receiver.