• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR gunsmith question

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I have a RPR in 6.5 PRC. Ammo availability has made the thing a paper weight.

Is it possible to bush the bolt and do the extractor modification, if needed, to a standard size bolt? Or does anyone have any recommendations as to a source that may be able to help?

Thanks

I'm sure Chad at LRI could do it. Me thinks the juice is not worth the squeeze.
I think the RPR is an excellent entry level rifle, you might want to consider selling it and building something on a Zermatt origin action so you can swap bolt heads

How attached are you to the caliber?

To me, a 6.5 PRC RPR doesn’t make a lot of sense because you’ve got a competition type rifle in a barrel burner caliber.

For a comp rifle, I’d choose something a little more barrel friendly.

For a hunting rifle, I’d go something a little less weight.

I'm sure Chad at LRI could do it. Me thinks the juice is not worth the squeeze.
I think the RPR is an excellent entry level rifle, you might want to consider selling it and building something on a Zermatt origin action so you can swap bolt heads
Thanks, I'll reach out to LRI.

How attached are you to the caliber?

To me, a 6.5 PRC RPR doesn’t make a lot of sense because you’ve got a competition type rifle in a barrel burner caliber.

For a comp rifle, I’d choose something a little more barrel friendly.

For a hunting rifle, I’d go something a little less weight.
I'm not attached at all. I bought on a whim when it first came out. Bought 3 cases of ammo when it was cheap and available. Shoot 1 case and sold the other 2. It's a really nice shooting rig with the factory ammo. If it's feasible and not terribly expensive, it would become a short barreled proejct. Or it stays a giant paperweight.

+1 selling it and getting something you really want with more flexibility.

RPR is a great gun for the $. Replacing the barrel after shooting it out is great.

Not sure about spending $ on modding it from where it is tho.

+1 selling it and getting something you really want with more flexibility.

RPR is a great gun for the $. Replacing the barrel after shooting it out is great.

Not sure about spending $ on modding it from where it is tho.
That'll be the deciding factor, or one of them. Can they do it and what'll it cost. I emailed LRI this morning. See what they say.

That'll be the deciding factor, or one of them. Can they do it and what'll it cost. I emailed LRI this morning. See what they say.
Most of LRI’s services and pricing can be found on their website which would also give you a rough idea of the cost involved.

Most of LRI’s services and pricing can be found on their website which would also give you a rough idea of the cost involved.
If they can do it and keep it under $750, including a barrel, that would be an easy decision. Cheaper than a barreled action and chassis.

If they can do it and keep it under $750, including a barrel, that would be an easy decision. Cheaper than a barreled action and chassis.
You’re looking at $325 to fit the barrel on an RPR. Add ~ $400 for a barrel and that’s your budget after taxes, shipping, etc.