• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR in .308 for Getting Back in the Game?

Paul_H

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 20, 2019
Norwich, CT
It's been a year+ since I posted last and last time I shot a match. At that time I had a 6.5 CM build on a TL3. Due to some unexpected medical bills I had to sell some guns and my reloading setup. I'm now ready to get back to shooting matches, but need to buy a rifle. I'm looking at a RPR. My dilema is whether to go with .308 this time or do 6.5CM again. Based on my past experience I'd jump on the 6.5 in a heartbeat, except for one problem. There's a severe lack of factory ammo and reloading supplies from what I can see (price gouged offerings on GunBroker not withstanding). If I go .308 I will still have the same reloading supply issues, but at least for now looks like I can stock up on factory ammo.

1000yds is the farthest out I will shoot in the matches around me, so I think the .308 will work even if not ideal.

Questions.
1/Does the .308 make sense in this scenario?
2/Any other caliber I should look at? 338 Lapua and 6mm BR also seem to have factory ammo available. I'm thinking the 338 is a bigger round than I want. I've never played with the 6mm BR.
3/Should I stick with the 6.5CM and suck it up to pay bloated prices to get reloading supplies (I have a couple hundred rounds of brass on hand but nothing else I could use for reloading rifle)?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts and inputs.
Paul

Last edited:
I personally wouldn’t choose a caliber that I would regret in a few months just to satisfy today. I’ve been able to find what I’ve needed for pretty reasonable prices but just have to be patient and check often. If you really want a 6.5 that’s what I would get.

The 6.5 is a better round for what you want to do. A 6mm is another popular round

Everything is currently hard to find. Prices will adjust but will take some time. I don’t think you’ll be satisfied with the accuracy and performance of factory ammo in a 308 vs hand loads in the 6.5 past 700 yards

If you shop the px here you should be able to find the supplies you need to load 6.5

With the popularity of the 6.5 I would assume the market will have a decent amount of components available in short time when things get back to normal

If you stock up on factory 308 now you’ll likely swap to 6.5 again and have a stash of 308 ammo to sell that you likely would take a loss on

Even with the Ruger you may be shopping for in the used department. My LGS said Ruger has major delays lately and they’re receiving previous generations of guns they order. As if they’re using old stock to fill current orders

I ordered a Ruger Ranch 556 back in October that has zero estimated arrival time currently

The 308 is a fine rifle for 1000 yards and in. It will probably even make you a better shooter since you will have to pay attention to your environment a little better.
And if you come to realize you much prefer the 6.5, then you can always change the barrel.

A fellow member was kind enough to point out some reloading supplies on GunBroker that were not completely price gouged, enough so that I've ordered up what I need to reload the brass I have. I also found some Lg. rifle primers that match the brass I already have on hand, so only had to buy some bullets and powder. Powder was still a bit more than the last time I bought, but worth it for now.

Thanks for the advice to not settle just to get something now and quick that I would end up buying again at a later date. I'm confident I would have ended up with a 6.5CM after buying the .308, so thanks for the reminder to have some patience. First match here in New England is not until April anyway, so I have time.

I've swapped barrels on my RPR twice. The process is relatively simple without the need for over specialized tools. It's for this reason I like the RPR. I currently shoot 6 Creed out to 1000 with excellent results. Components for loading are not unobtainium, but you do have to pay attention.

I have a NIB RPR 6.5 CM generation 1 that I plan on listing on the PX soon. if you are interested in it, please PM me.

Thank you everyone. I ended up bumping my budget up and bought a rifle from Surgeon. It ticked all the boxes for me and isn't something I'll feel the need to upgrade any time soon. Did go with 6.5CM, which I was very happy with in the past. Waiting for FedEx to get it delivered to my local FFL.