• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR or CZ For NRL22

Josh Elam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
Memphis
I currently have a Ruger RPR .22 that I feel shoots pretty good. With lapua center x it averages .65” at 50 and normally 1.25” at 100 but 1 out of 8 shots has a mind of its own. I’m trying to decide between starting to modify my current RPR or getting a CZ trainer in the manners stock. I would either get a barrel for the Ruger or get the CZ. I will end up with a barrel and trigger in either i bet. But first off would you think the Ruger with a barrel or CZ Trainer would be better.

which ever you choose should be fine shoot and have fun .

I really like my ruger. I'm getting sub moa at 50 yrs and about like yours at 100. I wouldn't put any money into it other than dollars to test and shoot more ammo. Mine is high on FGMM and eley club. Get a 457 and shoot it a bit as stock. Then get a t1x and do the same thing. Then......

Reactions: Speed and JKW70
I wouldn't get the CZ 457 in the manners stock, the 24" barrel is just too long for NRL22 and gets in the way moving in and out of positions. If you were going to get a CZ then the new Varmint Precision Chassis in a 16.5" would be the way to go - https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-varmint-precision-chassis/

If it takes Center-X to shoot .65" on your RPRR then I would definitely just leave it the way it is, shoot base class / sell it. And then build yourself a CZ, Tikka, B14R, etc. For NRL22, you do need to be sub moa at 50 yards if you are trying to maximize score. Shot NRL22 today and all the CZ's in the match, which were all factory models shot really well. I personally owned a Tikka, and I've been shooting the 10/22 Custom Shop Competition model the past 6 weeks while waiting on the Vudoo to be built.

The manners stock model is available in 16.5, 20.5” , and 24”. The 20.5” is not threaded. I’m manners stock is similar to my centerfire rifle but doesn’t have a adjustable cheek which I wish it had. I’ll look into the CZ 457 Precision Chassis. Beside Vudoo who has some of the most accurate Rimfire‘s?

The manners stock model is available in 16.5, 20.5” , and 24”. The 20.5” is not threaded. I’m manners stock is similar to my centerfire rifle but doesn’t have a adjustable cheek which I wish it had. I’ll look into the CZ 457 Precision Chassis. Beside Vudoo who has some of the most accurate Rimfire‘s?

If you know a rimfire smith who knows how to properly chamber, cut the tenon, do the crown and the flats, then I would say that you can take any of these Tikka, CZ, Bergara actions and get a really solid shooter out there. One of the member's Tikka was custom done with a $200 Federssen barrel by his smooth and outshoots most rifles I've seen, including Vudoos.

Factory out of the box, the best shooters I've seen are Tikka T1X, CZ 457 MTR (the match barrel one), Anschutz. B14R I've seen a lot of variances. CZ 457 other models, I've seen a lot of variances.

RimX, Ultimatum Deuce have yet to see live results. RimX you need to get your own prefit barrel, so you're in the same lot as any quality barrel made for any action imo.

I went with the no hassle, great customer service, just get it working way -- and bought a Vudoo.

I’ve seen very mixed results with the RPR. Even if they do shoot the ones I have seen have been very picky about ammo. I’m also not real big on the ergonomics of the RPR but that is personal. I have a CZ 457 pro Varmint and it is an excellent rifle and very accurate. It however will only shoot Lapua/SK ammo. Anything made by Eley shoots like crap. My Tikka T1x factory barrel seemed to shoot everything pretty well and some ammo exceptionally well. If you really want to squeeze every bit of accuracy out of your rifle though you will want to have a smith chamber and fit a blank for you. I have a Tikka T1x that I had rebarreled using a $140 Feddersen blank. I had a smith custom fit it and cut an Eley EPS chamber. That rifle flat out shoots better than any rimfire I have ever shot and it does it with $5 a box Eley ammo.

Just to share my 1cent."DARE TO BE DIFFERENT" Do you considered this on you NEXT NRL22 COMPETITION sir!

Attachments

• 20200215_185937.jpg
    20200215_185937.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 55
At a local match today I found out about a MPA 457 that I’m going to pick up in a couple days. Hopefully it will hold me over for awhile. I also need some serious practice at standing and unsupported prone.

Reactions: littlepod
I also have a Ruger that shoots very well, however, just like yours, occasionally it will throw one into the “where the hell did that come from” region. That just pisses me off, to the point that I get mad when I shoot it. I shoot for fun, not to be pissed off. I’m really struggling with this in matches. If I throw a shot, I can live with it. When the shot breaks clean and I see the impact over there, I really struggle with that. My wife says God is trying to teach me patience. It’s not working.

Just to share my 1cent."DARE TO BE DIFFERENT" Do you considered this on you NEXT NRL22 COMPETITION sir!

Current requirements for base class are significantly different than those alluded to in the posted article. Go to https://nrl22.org/about/rules/

Op-

I’ve got both RPRr and CZ457 mtr As well as some 10/22s and more.

if it were me I would get the CZ457 or Tikka T1x

the RPRr has an upgraded barrel and I think I have fixed the extraction issue and it shoots 1/2” @ 50 yards with ammo it likes but it needs a new trigger still and all said and done I would be into it the same as a cz457 in a manners.

if the Ruger was an all aluminum chassis I would feel better about it but the gun seems hold sensitive where the MTR doesn’t.

the Ruger is much lighter so my young boy shoots it.

you might be able to pick up a RPRr aftermarket barrel for cheap now and see if that works but resale value really won’t be there like a CZ