• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RPR trigger problem

Travelor

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2003
Central Arkansas
After finally getting my RPR to shoot with a Green Mountain barrel I have a new issue: sticky trigger release blade, part number 17

When I cycle the bolt into firing position, the "trigger release" blade locate inside the trigger is hanging up. i.e. it is sticky. I have cleaned the trigger group up and put some oil on the trigger pivot pin which initially lessened the problem but it is now coming back. Feels like something is bent and causing the trigger release to stick then releasing it. Once I pull the trigger release back thru the sticking cycle once the sticky cycle it does not do stick again until I cycle the bolt for the next round.

Anyone had this and what was the fix?

I had the same thing happen, I pulled mine appart and flushed everything out. Lightly stoned the edge of the safety blade where it is dragging (top front, sorry have no way to illustrate but you should see a little wear...). Re-lubed and mine improved for a bit then mine began doing it again. I am not sure where the "catch" is coming from and it is strange that it returned.

This "catch" in the safety blade is stiff enough that it has caused me to throw some shots as it breaks free and actually is heavier than my trigger break. This really frustrated me as the work I have done in shimming and stoning my trigger had resulted in a really good trigger pull that rivals some of my better triggers.

Stay with it and good luck.

ETA:
I also stoned the sides of the safety blade to make sure that there was no flash or anything that would cause it to catch in the trigger slot. The fit was lose enough that I don't think it was related to that though.

Last edited:
I believe Ruger paid Savage to use their patented Accu-trigger system. My experience with it on my Savage and RPR is that if you change out springs or get carried away adjusting for lighter trigger pull it is possible to cause the trigger to occasionally not engage the sear but engage the blade when the bolt is closed. Adjusting trigger pull up a little bit can cure this, otherwise the trigger to sear engagement needs to be increased. You may have to take it to a gunsmith.

My centerfire RPR had a similar issue. The blade had just a hint of a "catch" before it would move. Replacing it with a Timney 2 stage solved the issue.

stick a trigger shoe on it to hold the stupid blade back......

stick a trigger shoe on it to hold the stupid blade back......
This would work as would just removing the safety blade. Either way would work fine, however in my case it doesn't explain why this "sticking" developed or returned after some changes had been made. This points to something wearing or tolerances of parts within the assembly changing. But I agree, the best way to deal with it is to omit the safety blade in some fashion.

When having a problem like this with the safety bade, why not just call Ruger and have them replace the whole trigger assembly?

Since I've adjusted my trigger to where the pull is less than 1lb, I wouldn't want to remove that blade as it keeps the trigger from releasing if or when the gun gets a substantial bump. 3,200 .308 rounds out of my factory gen2 RPR and no problems and no issues with the blade. Am very satisfied with the trigger performance in my RPR.