• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RR LAR-8 in .308

glocksig40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2009
Noth Dallas 40 Texas
This is a mid-length 16" barrel in .308 in progress. Had the rifle for a little while but research took time to find the right stuff for it. I used a Daniel Defense 7.62 rifle length quad rail. Replaced the factory barrel nut with the Daniel Defense nut for the RR. Replaced the factory gas block with low profile from YHM so I could use the longer quad. Replaced factory flash hider with a brake made by Gene Williams from Princeton Texas. Duracoated the barrel, gas block and upper reciever in Green/Grey. Added Eotech XPS3 and 3X magnifier. When cash flow recovers, I will change the factory stock to something more comfortable and the PVS-14 will be added. I finally found some 5 round and 10 round mags and have them ordered so I can hunt with it. Looking for a good range day opportunity in the near future. Will update when I know more.
IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

IMG_2809.jpg

Re: RR LAR-8 in .308

Very nice Stacy! I bet that will be perfect for those vermin that invest your place. When you put that PVS-14 on you will really smoke them.

Thanks Axe and Jonathan. It's still in progress but range ready now. Jonathan, I'll be ready to go down in the bottom pasture with old porky soon. May have another get together soon.

That will be a Hog slaying machine. Nice brake too

Looks real good Stacy, hogs will roll! Let me know about another get together if you have it. Got my LR-308.

I have seen a few of these and checked them out at my local gun shop and thought they were very nice. The prices were very good, alot of gun for the money. I have a coyote ar 15 with prs stock for varmint hunting and it shoots great along with the others i had. Looked into buying a LAR8 when they were first starting to appear but backed out because i was told that alot of other company parts would not enterchange on their platform. Are you able to put any of the magpul stocks on them. Also did the barrel nut you used work out good. I know on their web site they say not to interchange them. I am thinking of maybe buying one if it is not a problem changing out stock and rail. Thanks.....DAN

Dan I will give you the low down. You can change with Magpul PRS stock and thats my plan next. The only thing with using the PRS is: The charging handle on the LAR-8 pulls back about 1/4 more than the other AR platforms and will hit the cheek riser of the PRS if you dont do 1 of 2 things. 1st way around it is to dremel tool off about 1/4 to 5/15 inch off the plastic cheek riser or second option use an extension that is between the rear of the reciever and the stock. This is about 1" extension that puts the stock 1" further back to keep from hitting. Of course you have to change the buffer tube and spring if you are replacing a CAR type stock.
When replacing the Rock River forward rail: The front rail support from the factory is triangular shaped and if you bought a non free floating rail it wont match up and fit the support due to this. Now if you remove the factory D ring, forgrip and hardware as well as the RR barrel nut you can install something different. BUT..... The RR nut has a different thread pitch (not size) than the other manufacturers. Daniel Defense makes a replacement nut that is quite a bit smaller in length specifically for RR. This nut is used as a means to clamp the new Daniel Defense 7.62 lite rail to. The rail is in 2 pieces. 1 small ring that goes over the barrel and then the new nut is put on and torqued. After the nut is torqued the big piece of the rail goes over the barrel and it is then bolted to the small ring you installed prior to the nut. The gas tube has a place to go thru the small piece. When you tighten down the 6 screws connecting the 2 rail pieces it clamps down on the new barrel nut making the new rail fit tight and keeps it from turning. I reaserched this stuff for a while and DD had the only nut for the RR that I could find. The DD 7.62 lite rail is made for either make of AR in 308 and when ordering the rail it will prompt you to pick the replacement nut based on which firearm model you have. DD didnt have either nut or rail in stock but I found them both at Cheaper than Dirt. I ordered the wrench for the new nut from DD. I tried to go thru RR to make these changes but found the RR customer service lacking in "customer service". Dont be afraid to buy the rifle, there are things you can do to it. In this picture you can see the rail where it butts up to the reciever. The screws are clamping the small piece to the larger piece and the nut is inside. The rail on the long piece extends over the top of the small piece and butts up to the flat top of the reciever.
IMG_2811.jpg

Stacyp thanks for the info. It was very helpful. Rifle looks great. I will have to hit some gun shows or see what they have on gun broker. I like the prs stock but want to use the ubr instead. What do you think? Is yours the 16 inch? Like to know how it shoots. Good luck with your project, it looks great...DAN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dan I will give you the low down. You can change with Magpul PRS stock and thats my plan next. The only thing with using the PRS is: The charging handle on the LAR-8 pulls back about 1/4 more than the other AR platforms and will hit the cheek riser of the PRS if you dont do 1 of 2 things. 1st way around it is to dremel tool off about 1/4 to 5/15 inch off the plastic cheek riser or second option use an extension that is between the rear of the reciever and the stock. This is about 1" extension that puts the stock 1" further back to keep from hitting. Of course you have to change the buffer tube and spring if you are replacing a CAR type stock.
When replacing the Rock River forward rail: The front rail support from the factory is triangular shaped and if you bought a non free floating rail it wont match up and fit the support due to this. Now if you remove the factory D ring, forgrip and hardware as well as the RR barrel nut you can install something different. BUT..... The RR nut has a different thread pitch (not size) than the other manufacturers. Daniel Defense makes a replacement nut that is quite a bit smaller in length specifically for RR. This nut is used as a means to clamp the new Daniel Defense 7.62 lite rail to. The rail is in 2 pieces. 1 small ring that goes over the barrel and then the new nut is put on and torqued. After the nut is torqued the big piece of the rail goes over the barrel and it is then bolted to the small ring you installed prior to the nut. The gas tube has a place to go thru the small piece. When you tighten down the 6 screws connecting the 2 rail pieces it clamps down on the new barrel nut making the new rail fit tight and keeps it from turning. I reaserched this stuff for a while and DD had the only nut for the RR that I could find. The DD 7.62 lite rail is made for either make of AR in 308 and when ordering the rail it will prompt you to pick the replacement nut based on which firearm model you have. DD didnt have either nut or rail in stock but I found them both at Cheaper than Dirt. I ordered the wrench for the new nut from DD. I tried to go thru RR to make these changes but found the RR customer service lacking in "customer service". Dont be afraid to buy the rifle, there are things you can do to it. In this picture you can see the rail where it butts up to the reciever. The screws are clamping the small piece to the larger piece and the nut is inside. The rail on the long piece extends over the top of the small piece and butts up to the flat top of the reciever.
IMG_2811.jpg

</div></div>

close but no cigar there are some non floating railed handguards that will fit . I have one that I got in a trade that I slapped on mine . It actually is a wasted effort and I have since got rid of the bi-pod . the prs stock is just a tad to long and like a moron I cut off a 1/4 of an inch and all is well but it would of been just as easy and looked better if I had took the time to read and bought a spacer . also you should not cut off the stock 5/15 of an inch try 1/3 instead lol just pulling your leg on simplifying fractions. I called rra and they dont have a clue when there quad rail will be out so it looks like for a railed free float d.d. is the only game in town although rra does have the aluminum tubes avalible if you dont need to mount a bunch of stuff.

de46de1b.jpg

Looks good JWB. I wanted to get rid of the D ring and have a long rail myself. It was expensive to use the DD rail and nut but I couldn't be happier about the end result. Now I'm still saving for NV and IR illuminator.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stacyp thanks for the info. It was very helpful. Rifle looks great. I will have to hit some gun shows or see what they have on gun broker. I like the prs stock but want to use the ubr instead. What do you think? Is yours the 16 inch? Like to know how it shoots. Good luck with your project, it looks great...DAN </div></div>
Dan the rifle is 16 inch. It's all I wanted to haul around in the woods. Plus it will be over24 with a can on it. I still haven't locked in on the stock. The factory CAR is not comfortable at all. I'm considering the PRS or even an A2 standart to replace it with. Roll of duct tape and a kitchen towel would be an improvement over the current stock.
I don't like the slack between notches in the CAR. I want it to be more substantial when I put my cheek on it. I'm sure it will work out but for now, it's range ready and my wallet is light. Thanks for the compliment.
SP

Can a UBR stock be used on the rra. And if you can would you need a spacer? DAN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like they have a couple of free float tube out:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=440

I've got both the mid-lenth (16") and the Varmint model (26"). Both have been outstanding shooters!

Your rifle is looking really good! </div></div>
Thanks. Yeah they have them advertised but not in stock. After multiple calls to RR, they finally told me that the items I asked about were not in stock due to the inventory being used to build new rifles. I tried to use RR to replace my rail but got poor customer service so I moved on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can a UBR stock be used on the rra. And if you can would you need a spacer? DAN </div></div>
Dan I'm not sure because I haven't researched the UBR. I don't know why it wouldn't be useable but also not sure about the spacer. The spacer is only required because the Cheek piece sits up high and it's sits where the charging handle hits if not dremeled or a spacer used.
SP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like they have a couple of free float tube out:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=440

I've got both the mid-lenth (16") and the Varmint model (26"). Both have been outstanding shooters!

Your rifle is looking really good! </div></div>
Thanks. Yeah they have them advertised but not in stock. After multiple calls to RR, they finally told me that the items I asked about were not in stock due to the inventory being used to build new rifles. I tried to use RR to replace my rail but got poor customer service so I moved on.
</div></div>

Well, that's too bad. FWIW, I've had really good customer service from them.

I was disappointed that they seemed that I was bothering them. It saerted with me asking about getting a quad rail. I asked if they had any in stock. The guys said "no". Then a long pause like he was waiting on me to go to the next question. I asked if they had a forcast of when they would have it in stock. Same no. I got off and called back the next day. Lady told me the new ones were going on rifles and didnt know when the inventory would be high enough to have stock. I wasnt pleased with the lack of give a shit they showed so I moved on. I also asked if they recommended a rail from another source and they said something about the nut being specific to rock river and I would void my warranty. Bullshit. I dont understand why they didnt seem to want to sell anything. WHo cares now.

stacyp did you shoot your rifle with the regular hand guards before you changed to the dd rails and are the dd rails lite?
I also got the same crappy response from rra . I dont like the handguards I have but I already had them stuck on the shelf so I changed just to be different. by the way that rifle you got should be a bacon makin machine with the piggys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwb47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stacyp did you shoot your rifle with the regular hand guards before you changed to the dd rails and are the dd rails lite?
I also got the same crappy response from rra . I dont like the handguards I have but I already had them stuck on the shelf so I changed just to be different. by the way that rifle you got should be a bacon makin machine with the piggys. </div></div>

Still havent shot it. Damn work keeps getting in the way, but if I dont do the work and OT I cant buy the PVS so its a no win situation. I didnt want the factory hand guard because there was no way to put a pod or anything else on it without drilling holes and screwing down something that looked like shit so I just replaced it. Couldnt be happier with the rail. I dont care about the weight. Im going to make it the way I want it and get on with it. If it weighs too much Ill put wheels on it and a trailer tongue and hook it up to the truck. Hopefully I can get to the range soon. Thanks for looking.
SP

Stacyp,
You typed a sh!tload in this post so I am gonna ask again if it has been already.

Have you shot your rifle before and after you installed the YHM lo pro gas block? Any difference?

JW

Still haven't been to the range. Overtime at work all week and weekend. Working to buy the NV. Haven't shot it at all yet. I had it in Crockett when we were all there but didn't have time to break it out and hadn't gotten the Eotech on it then. Buy the rail man it's only money. The gas block I'm sure will work fine. Lined the holes up with a borescope so I know they are right.

Hi, Like your PRS stock and would like to use one on my LAR-8 Varmint. Question, Is it the Magpul for the 308 or the AR 15.
Sure could use your help. Thanks

Nice rifle stacy. I have a POF I am working on getting together and hope to make it to one of your shoots in the future

I must be one of the first to have one of these on their LAR-8 as I have not seen them -anywhere-. This is RRA's new free-floating quad. I got ultra pissed at them for sending me the wrong handguard and buttstock so they fixed me up. Took about a month, they told me some crap about their molds needing work. Whatever... This guard is quite a bit heavier than the daniels full-length equivalent. Does your retractable stock allow the bolt to travel far enough to catch the bolt release? I had problems with mine, in that I needed an extension to make it work properly.

5676.jpg

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=1953971

My stock is the factory issue. I dont like it but havent decided on the replacement yet. May get an A2 or PRS. Just havent had time plus saving for the night vision. Your rail looks nice. The NF on top is a nice addition as well. I have one atop my bolt gun and like it very much. I tried the RR route but couldnt deal with the piss poor customer service. I wont even try to deal with them on anything in the future. I would spend twice the cost to buy from someone else. I love the rifle but the manufacturer needs better sales/customer support people.