• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA 2 Stage Nat. match trigger vs. Rem 700 40X

tireys

StealthMode223
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Show Me State
I went to the range today. I just mounted a Vortex optic in a Burris P.E.P.R. 1 piece mount and wanted to get it sighted in. All in All The rifle and scope performed well. The kicker was the trigger difference. I only took my RRA along so I could get what I needed to get done, done. I have been shooting my REM 700 XCR comp. Tact. lately and I noticed a considerable difference in the triggers and how I factored into manipulating them. The 40X is butter and with a guess I would say somewhere around a clean 1.5 to 2 lb. pull. by comparison I would say the RRA 2 stage Nat. Match trigger was pulling 4 lbs. or more. I seemed like my interupted trigger control method was taking forever for the shot to break.

Re: RRA 2 Stage Nat. match trigger vs. Rem 700 40X

The RRA NM should have been breaking at 4.5pounds or more, as that is what is required of the NM trigger. Thus, the difference you noticed.

John

I did not know that about the Match trigger requirement and yes that would explain the difference. I was only guessing at the pull weight. Possible solutions are shoot it more and get used to switching from one to the other type triggers or get an after market trigger (Timmney or Jewell). What are the opinions of the masses for AR triggers?

For Service Rifle division of HP or EIC competition, where the trigger weight will be tested, the two-stage trigger is popular for a multitude of reasons. For any other division of HP or LR, I prefer a single-stage trigger.

I won't be shooting any comps. This is strictly a coyote/varmit killin machine.

JP makes a great single-stage adjustable trigger kit for the AR15. Make sure to get their lightweight hammer also, as it doesn't come with the trigger set. A fantastic varmint trigger, I installed one in my Colt CAR-A3 Accurized Elite (CR6724). Couldn't believe how much of an improvement it made over the standard Colt "Match" trigger. I've got it set at 2 1/4 lbs and it's maintained that setting for almost seven years and counting.

Highly recommended!

Send your RRA trigger to John Holliger at White Oak Armament. He did my RRA NM trigger and it's sweet! The first stage is 3.5 lbs...then the second stage breaks like the proverbial glass rod at 1 lb!

Unfortunately I dont think John is working on RRA triggers any longer. Sucks, cause they need it more now than ever. And, if ya aint gotta run 4.5 pounds, I would go lighter. You could get a Geiselle match version and run it a LOT lighter. They are pretty darn slick....but not cheap.

John

Bill Springfield is pretty well regarded for working over stock AR triggers. Reasonable rates too! Try his link below:

http://www.triggerwork.net/contactinfo.html

I like a 2 stage trigger on any semi-auto rifle. A 2# second stage pull is excellent. You might try installing a JP light spring kit if you can find one. For about $8 you will notice a difference.

Get a hold of Iron Ridge Arms, they have an excellent drop in single stage trigger with a nice crisp break on it. They even give you instructions on how to polish and tune it a bit which isn't hard at all.

Thanks for the 2 pennies, everyone who gave them. I will have to do something sooner than later.