• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA carbine to Dissy

josephberry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
N Georgia
I really like the feel of a dissipator. Anyone know if I can convert my carbine to a dissy with the stock barrel. If so could someone walk me through it. It's a Tactical entry.

Re: RRA carbine to Dissy

If you use standard handguards or a non-freefloat type rail you will basically use a second gas block or front sight post to hold the handguard/rail. The standard carbine length gas block you currently have is still used, the second is not used as part of the gas system, but strictly to secure the handguard. You may need to replace uour existing gas block with a low profile unit so it will fit under the new extended handguards/rail. Basically, you have a standard carbine length gas system and a second non-functioning gas block in front of the handguard. If you go with a free float style rifle length tube, the second gas block is not required unless you want to run a standard front site base.

Kirk R

So if I use a standard fixed front site, it will attach to the barrel, second non functioning gas block is to secure longer handrail. Existing block may be to big to fit inside of new hand guard.

You would have to use a lo pro gas block at the carbine location, this is to provide your rifle with needed gas to operate the BCG. A front sight base (FSB) is used at the end of the barrel as a sight and a place to secure rifle length handguards. The FSB does not have any part of the operating system. Essentially all you would be doing is having the ability to have rifle length handuards and a fixed front sight.
One alternative is to get a good rifle length free float rail set up and use a Troy, Daniel Defense or like rail mounted fixed front sight.
Buying a premade Dissy upper means you will have the pins drilled and installed on the FSB.
I would just suggest a free float rail and fixed sight.