• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing RRA Handgaurd removal

308Gunner

Full Bird Private
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2013
    W TEXAS
    Does anyone know how to get thes off. This thing will not budge tried heat Carefully tried cold any suggestions.

If it is a freefloat like what the Operator series has, there is a jam nut on the barrel nut. It is blue loctited and needs a little heat

308G,

Can you post a good photo where it attaches to the upper? As dang472 stated, there is most likely a jam nut that needs to be backed off first. There is spanner designed for this, or use a cold chisel (after grinding a square shoulder) and tap it with a hammer. Also stated ^ ^ ^, a good strap wrench may work. Again, if it has the jam nut, it has to be broken loose first.

Your profile says "texas" - where? Someone might lend some assistance.

I had a RRA factory rifle with a factory installed hand guard a few years back that would not budge (yes the jam nut was lose). I tried heat, strap wrench, etc. The only thing that finally did it was a floor vise and a huge pair of channel locks. Well, needless to say it fucked the rails up. I looked at the barrel nut and saw a 3" wide lake of dried blue Loctite 360 degrees around the threads. I've never used as much Loctite in my entire life as was on that one part. I took photos and called RRA, I was basically told to go suck a rock and that they don't expect nor condone the disassembly of their stuff.

Needless to say, they have never gotten a dime of my money since.

When I get bored I'll see if I can fish the photos back up if I still have them saved.

There is no such thing as a little locktite with rra. I have had several in the last few months and was even told by their CS that I was incompetent and they don't use locktite. Well I sent photos and they told me that was not locktite. OK then what is it. NO response. So lots of heat and I mean lots and lots and keep it on while removing it.

Rifle is a predator rifle and it has a free float tube. Caliber is 223. I used heat but backed off not wanting to buy a new handgaurd but if this thing don't come off its mister smoke wrench time thanks for the advice. I to called RRA and they said it should just spin right off and it might if I could bench 600lbs.

I broke two strap wrenches trying to get one off but I agree heat is your friend. Good luck

Here is something else I have done. Wrap two ( soft wood like pine) boards in a towel, put one under forearm and the other on top and give its smack with a hammer. Sometimes the shock can help loosen them. Hope you get it off.