• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA lar 8 new barrel which caliber?

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    Well i just got a rock river arms lar 8 varmint and had benchmark cut the barrel down to 22 and put on brake and honestly the thing shoots great honest 1/2moa at 100yds and seems to hold moa out to at least 600yds. i am enjoying shooting it so much i am thinking i will have another barrel made for it with better ballistics, i was thinking either 243, 6.5cm, or 260. the mags i run only have 2.8" available in them and whatever caliber it is i want to make sure it is reliable so any advice would be appreciated. no matter what barrel it is it will be a fast twist to shoot heavies and be 24-26" long.

thanks for helping this newbie gas gunner out.

these things are a blast!!!

Re: RRA lar 8 new barrel which caliber?

I was on RRA's website the other day and noticed that they are now making LAR-8 uppers in .243 and 7-08. You could order a barrel directly from them if one of those calibers suits you. I would love to own and AR-10 in the 7-08, that would be fun.

i just that out they look sweet however they are only 20" and the 243 is a 10 twist and i would want 24" and 8 or 7.5 twist.

I too have a RRA LAR. Mine is the elite operator. It too is a honest 1/2 moa gun. Wonder what the 708 would do at 2.8 oal with 162s?

well i currently am running the 7mm-08 at 2.92" with 162's out of my bolt gun with an already compressed load so i am not sure how that would work.

The guys at benchmark convinced me to try the 6.5creedmoor so thats what i ordered yesterday. a 24" 8 twist 6.5 creedmoor with r&d muzzle break and jp adjustable gas block. Should be fun to play with.

So you ordered a barrel for your upper. Can you buy a upper only by itself? Then put a 6.5 creed on it? What did that cost?

they are just taking the 308 barrel off and swapping it out with a 6.5 creedmoor. price is around $550-600 depending on specifications.

Where did you get the barrel from? I've been wanting to do the same thing. I've wanted either a .260 or 6.5 Creedmore upper for my RR and was patiently waiting on RR to come out with one, but instead they come out with the .243 and 7-08.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steelhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where did you get the barrel from? I've been wanting to do the same thing. I've wanted either a .260 or 6.5 Creedmore upper for my RR and was patiently waiting on RR to come out with one, but instead they come out with the .243 and 7-08. </div></div>

Benchmark Barrels 360 652 2594, they will not dissapoint tell them i sent you. i feel totally confident the creedmoor will shoot 1/2moa after seeing how well most of these rra varmints shoot with there factory barrel. mind you mine had been cut threaded and recrowned but still really impressive.