• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA LAR-8 Standard A4

Prairie Dog Dundee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2002
Utah
Any owners out there willing to share their experience with this rifle? The RRA web site claims 1 MOA @ 100 yards. What is your experience as to accuracy and reliability?

Re: RRA LAR-8 Standard A4

Has this rifle got leprosy of something? The factory claims one MOA out of a 20" cryogenically treated barrel and no one has tried it? Is this like the fat girl that nobody will admit they dated?

Have my 20" barrel out getting fluted, will let you know how it shoots when I get it back. My buddy has the 16" and says it shoots well under an inch when he is functioning properly!!

Did they change the mag/feed system? Last I heard the mag system had a flaw in design. Plenty of people with Fal mag issues with this gun. One of the big manuf's even did a write up on why Fal mags were a poor choice for the ar-10 platform (armalite?).

Run a search of forum...there are some folks here who have posted reports/questions/etc. with their RRA LAR-8 rifles and most reported pretty reasonable results from the best of my recollection.

The reason that not a lot of people are running the RRA 308 rifles is that they are too damn proprietary compared to other rifles on the market and there is simply not a lot of aftermarket support as there is with Armalite, DPMS, etc. platforms (although that may change at some point in time).

I don't have that particular model, but I do have a 16" and 26" model. Both shoot under MOA. The 26" Varmint model can shoot extremely well, as seen here:

DSC_0106.jpg

5 shot group at 100m
Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
Nosler 180 gr. Ballistic Tip
RL-15 42.5 gr.
AVG. = 2624 FPS
SD: 15 FPS
ES: 39 FPS

I did have a broken bolt hold open rod at around the 1000th round on my 16" rifle. RRA sent me a new one free of charge and it install easily. I've since shot another 500 rounds with no issues. I've also had issues with some old beat up, look like they've been to war and back FAL magazines. They function fine, but stick in the mag well. "Newer" looking magazines work fine.

The fit and finish are great on them. Typical RRA quality. I've actully had better functioning and accuracy than the Armalites and DPMS's that I've owned. I would definately buy them again and will probably buy a new one or one of their new configuration uppers in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did they change the mag/feed system? Last I heard the mag system had a flaw in design. </div></div>

Can you be more specific? The magazines are the tried and true FAL mags. No issues. The only issues I've had are with old beat up magazines that won't drop freely, mainly because they are 'warped' out of shape from hard use.

Perhaps you are thinking of the DSA built magazines?

Thank you gents. This is what I'm looking for, anyone else?

What about the mag issues? I think Bushmaster tried a AR10 with the FN mag and had problems. Is this still an issue with RRA?

My question is, does the LAR-8 feed directly from the magazine lips or are the actual feed lips built into the gun as in the FN FAL rifles? In the FAL, the feed lips are machined into the upper receiver similar to how the feed lips are machined into the bottom of a Reminton 700 receiver. If the LAR-8 is using just the magazines lips, that would account for the ocassional feeding problems due to slight variations in mags.

The LAR8 has feed ramps, or better said, ramp. It's very similar to a FAL or AR15, but its one big ramp, instead of two.

What I was asking about was actual feed lips that are machined into the upper receiver as in the FAL where they work with the magazine to feed the cartridge up to the feed ramps then into the chamber.

IMG_4275e-1.jpg

IMG_4276e-1.jpg

I was wondering if Rock River Arms had feed lips built into their upper receiver or if they use just the feed lips of the magazine to guide the cartridge to the feed ramp.

oh, ok. I miss understood your question. I will check when I get home tonight.