• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report RRA LAR-8 Varmint and Mid-length

Steelhead

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2003
Idaho
I was able to get out and shoot the LAR-8 Varmint and mid-length today. I just goofed around with the mid-length and just shot surplus through it. I had purchased a Trijicon 3.5x ACOG scope with .308 ballistic reticle, so I got it all sighted in and then proceeder to have a great time banging steel out to 550 yards with it! This mid-length model, I've had since last October. I've used it a couple of times in some high round competitions and it has performed flawlessly for me. I went through 350 rounds in about 20 minutes with it at one such shoot, all the while I had my suppressor attached to it. I didn't have one issue with it. It shot very well for me too. Enough for me to take second place in fact.

My main point in going to the range this last weekend though was to test some loads in the LAR-8 Varmint and I got some excellent results! Every round fed fine. I had no failures of any kind.

Temp = 77 F
Elevation = 2500
RH = 27%
Baro = 27.12 (station)
Distance = 100 meters (110 yards)

Here's a load using 155 gr. Lapua Scenars:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
155 gr. Lapua Scenar
RL-15 44.5 gr

DSC_0108.jpg

Here's a load with 175 gr Sierra Match Kings:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
175 gr. SMK
RL-15 43.5 gr

DSC_0107.jpg

This one was the best:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
Nosler 180 gr. Ballistic Tip
RL-15 42.5 gr.
AVG. = 2624 FPS
SD: 15 FPS
ES: 39 FPS

DSC_0106.jpg

Looks like the Noslers are the winner! I only had 5 rounds, and all went into the same hole, as you can see in the picture. Hopefully I can get out and test this load at further distances soon.

Devin

Re: RRA LAR-8 Varmint and Mid-length

Woo Hoo! that is great.

What do you mean by "mid length" ? Did you chop the barrel to 20" ?

I am going to chop mine and get a can - just not sure which one. The Ops Inc reflex looks like a good one but the barrel has to be turned down. Which can and attachment did you use?

here is mine:
rra_lar8.jpg

My best group w/168gr FGMM (but I only have 185 round through it yet):
rra_lar8_shots.jpg

I am hoping it gets better as it breaks in. Looks like I need to get back into reloading. I need to try 175 and 180 grain bullets. Darn, a new setup is going to cost....

Re: RRA LAR-8 Varmint and Mid-length

No, I haven't cut the barrel on the Varmint model. In addition to the LAR-8 Varmint, I have a LAR-8 Mid-Length model. This is RRA 16" barrel LAR-8. As seen here: LAR-8 Mid-Length

I have the YHM Phantom 7.62 Stainless QD. I've been very happy with this can. I recently descovered that I have no POI shift with this can. I've used it on my bolt gun, my AR15 and on the LAR-8.

The 168's look promising. I've tried 175 match in my mid-length and they did really well. I'm going to try some of these 180 Noslers in it, the next time I'm at the range and see if they perform as well in it as they do in the Varmint model. I'm also hoping to try them at further distance in the Varmint model. I'm curious to see if they hold the same accuracy out to 1000 yards.