• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA predator pursuit upper

jackh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2008
College Station, TX
anyone got one? opinions, reports, issues, likes/dislikes etc?

i have an armalite upper that now sports a 6.8 upper that i hunt deer and hogs with. id like to get a .223 upper for varmints and plinking and seems like this upper would work well for my needs. i know a guy thats a dealer that can get me a good price, i just have to tell him the exact configuration i want.

thanks

Re: RRA predator pursuit upper

I had one and it shot very well. It was sold to another member here who used it a few months ago on a multi-day prairie dog shoot with success, and he loved it too.

It's heavy, but, if you aren't bothered by this or aren't planning on using it outside the scope of its intent, you should enjoy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one and it shot very well. It was sold to another member here who used it a few months ago on a multi-day prairie dog shoot with success, and he loved it too.

It's heavy, but, if you aren't bothered by this or aren't planning on using it outside the scope of its intent, you should enjoy it.

</div></div>

what exactly is the scope of its intent?

i planned to use it to carry in the truck on the ranch in case i see varmints or something. also to shoot targets and called coyotes. i dont think id mind a gun a little on the heavy side, i just dont want something that is a pain to go out and call with. i want it to be practical for hunting, so weight is an issue.

does anyone know how much weight the 16" upper cuts off from the 20" upper?

would one of their other varmint A4 or EOP uppers suit me better for my needs?

Well, it's a bit heavy for walking around much, IMHO, compared to a standard AR.

That is based on the 20". I have not handled the 16".

For what you've stated you intend to do with it, it will suit you fine.

Here are the specs on it as a complete rifle: http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=229

Figure in Bipod, scope, etc, and you're easily approaching the 12 pound mark depending on what you have installed. Many people carry rifles that heavy anyway, but, keep in mind a lot of the weight distro is forward on the RRA Predator Pursuit unless you counter weight the butt stock.

An EOP model complete @ 24" is 10 pounds without anything else on it.

My vote would be a 16" Varmint A4 or Predator Pursuit. Easier to maneuver in the vehicle without banging it all around upon exit, less barrel to snag on brush, etc.

I am personally interested in these uppers versus the MK mod type. Yeah I know the RR upper does not have the cool factor of the other but in the end I want as much accuracy as I can get.

For the price the RR sounds good.

I bought the 20" barrel complete version a few years ago, added the stock and a Nikon Monarch 5 x 20.

I would not want to carry it all day - as others have pointed out, it is heavier than other options. It is very comfortable to shoot, and with the Privi 75 gr "match" ammo, prints 1/2" at 100 yards.

I know the RRA doesn't get the cool factor of other makes, but I am quite happy with my Predator Pursuit.

IMGP2320.jpg

Had mine for 4yrs zero issues
heavy???
My only concern is how it shoots, for an AR its as good as anything else designed for accuracy including customs.

a guy on another forum pointed out that he preferred the EOP because he didn't have to buy extra high rings to get his objective off the hand guard and that it brought the optics up to his eye perfectly. hadnt though about that...

is the heavy barrel of the predator pursuit lighter than the bull barrel of the A4 and EOP?

how is the hogue free float tube? its got a rubber like coating on it instead of just plain aluminum like the RRA right? im guessing this would keep it from being freezing to the touch in the winter and maybe more durable? seems like a rubber free float tube might quieter than aluminum but hold dirt easier too

No troubles whtsoever with Hogue tube--actually like it on a varmint rifle---also others think the 20" is heavy but I disagree---I think a 20" varmint is heavy--the nat'l match bbl
is a joy to carry for me personally--just my opinion--I added a
brake so I could watch hits thru scope--(ADCO threads and installs)

How do these preform at longer distances? I'm thinking about picking one up to go to a class that will shoot out to 600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had one and it shot very well. It was sold to another member here who used it a few months ago on a multi-day prairie dog shoot with success, and he loved it too.

</div></div>

what exactly is the scope of its intent?

i planned to use it to carry in the truck on the ranch in case i see varmints or something. also to shoot targets and called coyotes. i dont think id mind a gun a little on the heavy side, i just dont want something that is a pain to go out and call with. i want it to be practical for hunting, so weight is an issue.

does anyone know how much weight the 16" upper cuts off from the 20" upper?

would one of their other varmint A4 or EOP uppers suit me better for my needs? </div></div>

The PP 20" = 8.1 lbs.
The PP 16" = 7.2 lbs.

I went with the ATH Carbine with an 18" barrel = 7.7 lbs. Even with the PRS stock I added, it's not too heavy to carry all day long on a coyote hunt and it shoots great. Every RRA that I have seen has been a shooter.

DSCF0011.jpg

10 shots @ 100 with 55 gr Blitzkings
10shots.jpg

5 shots @ 100 with 50 gr Ballistic Tips
4.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(I can't use a RRA lower becaues its on the no-no list here in California) </div></div> RRA changed the name on there lowers so you can get them in commyfornia. I have one.