• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRA Varmint .223 Field report

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
I recieved my rifle last week that I bought from HOGGHEAD (another first class guy) here on the Hide. It is a Rock River Arms LAR-15 with a 20" SS bull barrel. I gave it a once over and mounted my Bushnell 6 X 24 x 50 Tactical on top, for the mean time it will share scopes with my DPMS LR .308.
I own another .223 gas gun, but it is not set up for bench rest, so I was glad to get this and find out just how accurate a gas gun .223 can be. HOGGHEAD had pm'd me and told me that this rifle just loved BlackHills 50 grn V-max. I roll my own so I was a little reluctant to "PAY" for ammo but I stopped by a gun shop and they just so happended to have a pile of Black Hills Re-Manu. ammo for $30. per 50, so I picked up a box.
By the time I got my ass to the range it was around 10:30 about 45 deg. and sunny, with just a hint of a breeze. The way the range is set up, it has you shooting just a little South of due East, so it can challenge your optics a little. After getting it sighted in I shot these two groups, in the second group I was getting lazy and only taking a few seconds between shots. I tried some different hand loads, and my 40 grn V-max came close but I had to single feed them, because they were made extra long for my bolt action Remmy. I purchased this rifle with the intentions of shooting the heavier bullets, so now that it has been confirmed that this rifle can shoot I will do some research for some heavier load combinations.
Overall, I am very happy with my choice of this rifle, and would recommend it to anyone who wants to shoot small groups. I did install a gas ram, because I don't like the "washing machine sound" that the standard spring makes, and I will most likley change the stock to a PRS so it will match my DPMS LR.
Any feedback on heavier loads will be appreciated.
SScott
RRArifle.jpg

RRAtarget.jpg

Re: RRA Varmint .223 Field report

No feedback on loads but I can't wait to get in your shoes on my Grendel. Almost! Congrats on the shooter.

Nice - I have a RRA Predator/Pursuit, similar rifle, slightly thinner barrel, also 1 in 8 twist.

Mine really likes the PPU 75 gr BTHP ammo that is out there now, shoots similar groups (e.g., < 0.5")

You don't say what the twist rate of the barrel is, but, I'd guess it's a 1-8, or, 1-9. If so, either should like Hornady, 60 grain V-Max with Varget behind them. If it's a 1-8, a Hornady, 68 grain, match hollow point with Varget behind it should work well too.

It is a 1 in 8 twist barrel, I was a little concerned about the Hollow point bullets feeding through the system. I seen some at the store today, but I thought I better research more before I buy any.
The things are almost as expensive as my .308's LOL,,,,I guess it is about half the powder though.
I did some shopping online and the SMK's aren't near as expensive as the ones at my local gun store, they must be sitting on some of last years Expensive inventory.
SScott

My HP 223 likes the Hornady 75g HPBT and 23.2g RL 15 (NOT in Federal case, they have too little volume) and Wolf SRM. This load will shoot MOA for 10 rounds (that is with iron sites and just me driving - just think if someone new what they were doing). I tried 75 and 80g AMax with RL15 but kept getting vertical stringing (didn't to go nuts on charge weight in a gas gun).

RRA makes some fine rifles. I went with a friend to sight in his new RRA today. Pretty impressive trigger for factory. He and I'm sure you are very happy!