• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS Anvil Ball Head ?

Moose

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2005
    NJ
    Did any one handle the new anvil ball head at shot,and if so how would you compare it to the leveling base.

@Moose We designed it to be as strong as the leveling base but have more features and still allow user to go into the prone. It is $40 more expensive than our most expensive ta-3-lc-hk setup of leveling bases, so fairly comparable. But it has double the range, if you figure out how to time it differently than how it will be shipped you can make it much stronger than the leveling base but not be easy to move around with a hand-held lrf mounted (thats for you tinkerers). It also has a dual clamp built into the main body that accepts picatinny and RRS Dovetail.

I am going to do a video on it in a few weeks. It is looking to start shipping beginning to mid April as long as no other foreseeable issues. Some things have changed as far as the appearance like the main lock handle and the color.

@Moose We designed it to be as strong as the leveling base but have more features and still allow user to go into the prone. It is $40 more expensive than our most expensive ta-3-lc-hk setup of leveling bases, so fairly comparable. But it has double the range, if you figure out how to time it differently than how it will be shipped you can make it much stronger than the leveling base but not be easy to move around with a hand-held lrf mounted (thats for you tinkerers). It also has a dual clamp built into the main body that accepts picatinny and RRS Dovetail.

I am going to do a video on it in a few weeks. It is looking to start shipping beginning to mid April as long as no other foreseeable issues. Some things have changed as far as the appearance like the main lock handle and the color.
    Will be looking forward to the video. Thank's

Here are some SHOT Images, I know we have others on here,

IMG_3511.JPG

IMG_9543.JPG

Holding up the AX .50 Cal

Reactions: BallisticPrimate

Can you explain "timing it differently than how it will be shipped" versus the leveling base, do you mean the potential for more friction experienced in tilt and pan, pitch of threading of some sort? Sorry if this is a blatant oversight on my part in advance.

And that apex pretty much has me sold, y'all tightened things up a lot.

We will pre-set the timing for the low end tension (un-locked) position and high end tension (locked) position. If your mechanically savvy you could figure out how to set the timing as high or low as you want but would undoubtedly void the warranty.

In R&D testing we actually got the holding tension to be pretty sticking high per ft-lbs!!! But the minimal tension was unusable without a rifle (long lever).

Ah, tension, that's what I meant, tension-friction, bleh... Good to know, thought it was something like this, but thanks for clarifying.

Might you be able to say when/if your QR Pic + RRS rail mod for Atlas bipods might appear?

Correct the option for the e series and 3 series platform adapter is for current tripods and you just wanna switch out your center removable platform. We should have a price up on that very soon as well, they just arent ready, my apologies.

Great looking product. I'm about to pull trigger on a RRS package. Looking forward to a tri pod system can run my rifle, NF spotting scope and Nikon D7200. This head looks ideal.

@MPHReallyRightStuff At latter date will the Anvil 30 adapter for the RRS Series tripods be available to purchase if I buy the Anvil 30 without a adapter now? And what would the cost of the adapter be? i just can't afford the tripod and Anvil right now. Thanks.

yes i meant 3/8, my bad. The underside also has 4 other tapped holes and 3 non taped holes. If you want a super solid mount you can put a few screws up through whatever platform you have and it'll be anti-twist.

Is there a conversion for guys with tripods already to run this new head?

You guya make an awesome product. Im about to order a rrs ta-u-lc. This anvil ball head looks awesome, just not sure id utilize it for the price difference.

I just ordered one today. I've been using a TVC-24 tripod for my spotting scope for years and had no idea RRS was making stuff for rifles. I made myself a hogg saddle and adapted it to the Gitzo head I was using. This setup will so much better!

@MPHReallyRightStuff quick question from looking at the photo of the Anvil on your site. If I mount this on a standard 3/8" threaded mount, is there a set screw to keep it from rotating? It looks like there might be in the picture. In my limited experience with tripods, that 4 foot long lever they call a rifle will loosen even a properly torqued locked up ball head from the mounting screw pretty damn quick, so having a set screw would be a major plus.

@atxhorn4425 Under the Anvil is a threaded center hole 3/8" normal camera mount style. All around that threaded holes is 4 other threaded holes you could use as set screws to make it not able to twist if using someone elses tripod. When you buy it with our apex or the 2/3 series tripod adapters it will come with 4 screws to utilize those holes.

We designed it to work amazing with our products but if you do not have our tripod I hop you find a way to make those threaded ports work to your benefit.

Reactions: atxhorn4425
    I'd love to see how well this would pair up with the Leofoto 364.

Since the ta-3 fits the opening in the 364 I would think the anvil and 3 series adapter should fit. I've been thinking about it.

If I start using mine more I may go for it. For right now for what I use it for the leofoto leveling base works well enough and was only $30. I just can't go all the way to the ground with the handle sticking out.

I think once they are out in the wild it may become the go to head.

I have a Leofoto 404c that I would like to use with the anvil. Is the any way to get the measurements of the version that you can attach the tripod legs to. Would be nice to order that version if the Leofoto legs would bolt on. I saw this asked in another thread but it was never answered so I'm sure several people might want to go this route is possible.

Edit:

Just received the latest update, the part that we are waiting on right now is the ball. We are working on different coatings to make sure there isn't any issues with lock-up, galling, etc. Once that is finished it will take a week and half to coat, assemble and ship. The listing says Mid April-Early May and I will most likely change that to Beg-Mid May just to give the most likely estimate, but it could still go out in April.

Last edited:
    Reactions: rymart
    Since the ta-3 fits the opening in the 364 I would think the anvil and 3 series adapter should fit. I've been thinking about it.

If I start using mine more I may go for it. For right now for what I use it for the leofoto leveling base works well enough and was only $30. I just can't go all the way to the ground with the handle sticking out.

To say it "fits" is a bit misleading. Yes, you can drop it in, but the retention lock doesn't key into the grove on the RRS plate. You can use the clamp as the only way to secure it, but that's just asking for it to fall off and get lost, since the clamp lever isn't all that low-profile, nor difficult to twist.

Edit:

Just received the latest update, the part that we are waiting on right now is the ball. We are working on different coatings to make sure there isn't any issues with lock-up, galling, etc. Once that is finished it will take a week and half to coat, assemble and ship. The listing says Mid April-Early May and I will most likely change that to Beg-Mid May just to give the most likely estimate, but it could still go out in April.

how are things looking with the coatings? still looking at early/mid may?