• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS Ascend ball head vs BH-30

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    It looks like the ball head that comes on the new Ascend tripod can be used to hold a hunting rifle of reasonable weight, based on some of the pictures I’ve seen.

With that as a reference, would it also be safe to consider the BH-30 ball head capable of doing the same thing? @MPHReallyRightStuff

I am considering downsizing from TFCT-34 with Anvil 30 to something smaller and shorter. I glass and shoot from sitting exclusively, and want more portability.

@Crews Depends on what you are shooting when you aren't glassing. Lately we have been recommending BH-25 and above for hunters using rifles as well. The Ascend Ballhead will hold but there are limits as it wasn't designed high leverage and people using in a free recoil setting. I personally like the Ascend tripod with platform center column with BH-40 SC or the Anvil. I lose the excess weight of the 2 or 3 series TFCT and I can have a 3 inch center column by removing the bottom portion for smaller adjustments.

I am thinking TFC-14 (no center column), and BH-30 because it saves me a good amount over the BH-40. As long as I am not sorely disappointed on stability. I am only using 10# hunting rifles and certainly not doing any free recoil. In all honesty I only mount a rifle 20% of the time to begin with.

Got in the TFC-14 and BH-30. I am 5’9” so at max height it is just tall enough for me to shoot standing at full extension. I couldn’t stand upright and glass with the 34 anyhow, so no big loss there. I did some dry firing while standing…. I don’t feel like I’ve given up a ton of stability over the TFCT-34 and Anvil 30. From seated and kneeling it’s about the same. The ballhead is definitely a bit nicer for observation, can set the tension for moving binoculars around without them flopping loose like the Anvil 30. The whole package is lighter, and 3”+ shorter so it’ll be easier to fit in the backpack. All in all, I am very happy with the decision to downsize.

@RMOReallyRightStuff
    @MPHReallyRightStuff
    Thanks for the advise. A very happy customer with 1st and now 2nd RRS product.

Last edited:
    E3CE2528-D845-4979-82B2-6C64E648ECB7.jpeg

024F79B8-51DE-4808-9C91-1A8605023F2C.jpeg