• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS R-Lock?

great I just received my setup two weeks ago lol. It looks pretty cool but I don't know how much of a benefit it would be for me personally.

I’ve never had an issue with slippage including shooting a lightweight magnum, so I won’t be upgrading my RRS stuff. But I’m all for innovation and options. If it doesn’t cost more, then I don’t see a down side.

Reactions: RS14
Can it go picatanny and arca? What makes 419 better?
I think the positive locking of Area 419 is a better design.

In an Arcalok clamp the locking pins index on the outside of the rail. As the clamp is tightened the pins will drop in to the serrations on the outside of the rail. You can't really land in between the serrations. When the clamp is tightened it is self aligning.

It seems the new RRS system requires you to slide the rail/clamp back and forth in order to engage the positive locking pin. I don't argue the strength or positive locking of Rlock. I just believe it requires a little more thought and time. The small holes on the rails also seem like a good spot to collect grit and debris, maybe impeding the locking function.

I am not bashing. I am a huge RRS fan and love my Anvil30. I think a RRS/Area 419 collaboration Anvil30 would be awesome. The Anvil30 locking lever with Area 419 Arcalok pins would be perfect.

Took the pins out of my arcalock clamps when I had them. I run mostly arcalock rails but the clamps weren't compatible with the non-arcalock rails with the pins. With arcalock I had to choose between locking functionality or backwards compatibility. I see RRS's being better given what looks like seamless compatibility and you get the ability to be picatinny and arca compatible.

I am bias of course.

Once you guys get to play with it i think the tune will change.

The R-Lock holes have some excess room built in, you don’t have to align anything. Attach your bipod or tripod as fast as you need to in any position, don’t worry about indexing. If you shoot or do something that causes the clamp to move, the pin will lock into place and you can continue what your doing.

We are still utilizing the clamp pressure, which is now adjustable in tension, to secure your bipod or tripod but now there is an additional safety.

There are a few other hidden gems with the clamps. Play around and you’ll find some new ways to run it that you aren’t able to with any other system currently.

We also made these new USR rails pretty awesome. They are universal with these shuttles that are the mounting hardware. M-Lock, KeySlot, Direct thread for most chassis, and a direct thread for people threading into a installed tnut.

Last edited:
Will the Rlock get a similar model as the BTC-Pro? I just noticed the SC-ARC appears to be as wide as the ARMS-LR. I don't understand why they are noticeably wider and double the weight of the BTC-Pro. I have some ARMS-LR and BTC-Pro and while I'd rather have the lever I have been going back to the BTC-Pro for non competition use.

This is a huge fail to me.

Arcalok by A419 seems far superior in almost every way
Can you explain that?

Not only is the RRS lever clamp superior in clamping force, ease of use, and speed vs a knob clamp, but mechanically speaking a retaining pin in a hole is superior in strength to scalloped pins that only have tangent contact.

Interesting that you're saying the A419 is superior when you're selling a product to increase tension on the knob so that it doesn't slip.

Reactions: RS14
So, has this system been tested in extreme conditions where you have those fine silt or moon dust soils? I can see that spring loaded pin becoming seized in that kind of environment. Worst case scenario is the pin doesn't retract, and you can't remove the accessory from the rail.

Yes we have done testing on it and sent it to some proving areas for their testing. Yes anything can get dirty. We were unable to load it with enough of anything to get the most recent rev to fail. But by making it adjustable from the user allows you to easily take it apart and clean it out. If necessary that will also enable you to remove it if a worst case like that were to happen some how.

Last edited:
No the SC-ARC is an updated clamp modeled after the ARMS-LR clamp we have. It will move into the Anvil design shortly, we do not have the time yet open for preorders. But since the mechanism can now adjust, the clamp side that houses the end of the action rod needed updates. The other side of the clamp received updates as well to house the butterfly and new geometry so we weren't able to make it something you could add on. Plus the R-Lock pin needs to be housed in side. Really the clamp being designed as apart of the Anvil not needing to be bolted on is a double edge sword in regards to this.

No the SC-ARC is an updated clamp modeled after the ARMS-LR clamp we have. It will move into the Anvil design shortly, we do not have the time yet open for preorders. But since the mechanism can now adjust, the clamp side that houses the end of the action rod needed updates. The other side of the clamp received updates as well to house the butterfly and new geometry so we weren't able to make it something you could add on. Plus the R-Lock pin needs to be housed in side. Really the clamp being designed as apart of the Anvil not needing to be bolted on is a double edge sword in regards to this.
Would be very interested in how this newer model played out in comparison if you guys are able to share the changes

I was already looking at getting another anvil so I'll gladly say shut up and take my money as soon as y'all are ready lol

What about the BH-40 and BH-55 ball heads or VYCE clamp? I have been saving up to get a tripod possibly with an ANVIL 30 or ballhead and VYCE. I guess I need to keep saving a little longer.

Im not sure what you are asking.
But to throw out some more info since you mentioned BH-40 and BH-55, R-Lock looks to be the future ahead so most of our products should get it. There will definitely be a way to install the SC-ARC on a traditional BH ballhead.

Reactions: Emmaandhaley
Do you have any plans for a barricade stop that can be attached to the rail? That is the only thing I see that the Area419 system has over this.

We currently are not making one. If it is something people want we can look into it more, the current barricade we have really lost popularity a few years ago.

Our current barricade stop can attach to either end of a USR at the moment or if you have a barricade stop you like, that attaches to the ARMS-17s standard you could mount that on a SC-ARC and have an extremely fast adjustable barricade stop. If we pump one out it'll definitely be advertised.

@carbonbased

Initially we didn't design the SC-ARC and other R-Lock clamps to be rapid adjustment. After alot of testing and torture, I requested it be added as a must have feature. That is one of the little gems I was speaking of, finding the ability to down tune the clamping force of the clamp and relying almost solely on the indexing R-Lock pin for recoil forces.

Check out the video with Ryan, a SOAR employee moving the bipod fairly easily fore and aft.

but you guys won't let me have it tangle passed the fore grip :(

"Note: The USR is a low-profile, lightweight system. The rail is not designed to be cantilevered out beyond the foregrip of a rifle. A minimum of one anchor per slot on the rail is required for adequate support, equally distributed. The rail needs to be installed on a flat surface and not all gunstocks are equally flat. Mounting to a surface that is not perfectly flat will result in a bow in the rail and lead to inconsistent performance of the clamp. Due to the universal fitment of this rail system, Really Right Stuff is not responsible for the bending or deformation of the rail due to improper installation or use."

I have been using this for about 3 months now,

definitely a worthwhile upgrade, it's mainly for the gamer crowd but there is some military applications especially in the mountains when adjusting the tripods for the angles. It allows the loading of the rifle at the angles by sliding it.

The ACRA Rail changes are welcome also, standardizing the layout needs to happen. Too many companies were buying low-budget ARCA plates off the internet where no standard exists and that has caused fix and feature problems with clamps not working right. I had one not too long ago, the clamp on the bipod was sliding with no options to tighten it down.

The option to adjust, to align ,and the lock spacing on the rails to hold is smart

FYI,

They did a test dropping a rail on the rail, and the AREA 419 teeth broke right off... I have seen the video and pictures of it, they dropped a rifle off a tripod I think and that alone ground the teeth off

I fail to see how AREA419 is superior based on my observations

Upset I missed the SC-ARC being in stock but here’s a question: what to do about getting the most out of USR on a Manners T2A? The 240mm USR is fairly short not giving you full length of the forearm, but the 340mm would be cantilevered out probably a good 40-50mm.
Currently you could either put two together, in order to make your preferred length or go to a company that makes the specific size you want and ask they add the R-Lock design into it. Its free, we will give them the details. Its tough unfortunately to carry rails for every length wanted as so many people have varying needs and requests.

We tried to hit as many markets as possible with out offerings, but still decided to make it fully open source with a fee free licensing if someone wanted to use it. Doesn't take away from anyone's rails they are already making but adds more options with minimal increased operations. I know Sawtooth Rifles has a few different options as well currently for his take on the R-Lock improved rails. I am sure there will be others shortly.

Bummed ours doesn't fit your needs perfectly.

FYI,

They did a test dropping a rail on the rail, and the AREA 419 teeth broke right off... I have seen the video and pictures of it, they dropped a rifle off a tripod I think and that alone ground the teeth off

I fail to see how AREA419 is superior based on my observations
I agree. Took the pins out of my 419 clamp cause they were more trouble then they were worth.

Also bought 3 Arca rails that turned out to be out of spec. They work with the knob adjust bipod clamps, but no dice in the RRS ball head. I've been slowly replacing them & there doeas seem to be a gap in length. Wish there were more options in the 12" range.

Currently you could either put two together, in order to make your preferred length or go to a company that makes the specific size you want and ask they add the R-Lock design into it. Its free, we will give them the details. Its tough unfortunately to carry rails for every length wanted as so many people have varying needs and requests.

I suppose 2x 140mm might get it done. What’s the solution for making sure it’s continuous - installing the two perfectly level with respect to each other?

I suppose 2x 140mm might get it done. What’s the solution for making sure it’s continuous - installing the two perfectly level with respect to each other?
If i were to do it, Id use a clamp and make sure I attach it to both of them. Attaching at the connection point would ensure it is aligned enough to pass from one to another. Then mount it as if it were one piece, remove clamp after.

Reactions: TheOE800
This is a huge fail to me.

Arcalok by A419 seems far superior in almost every way
My first thought also.

I too do not use the pins in 419 clamp. I use it on a JAE ARCA rail and it doesn’t move which fulfills my needs.

But I’m neither a comp or mil guy so there may well be advantages to this RRS that I simply have no appreciation for.

Last edited:
What ARCA rail is compatible with this new RRS locking clamp system?

It’s the RRS standard dovetail so the clamp is backwards compatible, but there are no suppliers of R Lock rails beyond RRS as of yet.

Reactions: TEUFEL820
Can you add weights to RRS rails. Right now I’m running Area 419 rails with weights, is there an RS alternative?

Makes sense since Sawtooth Rifles makes their rails.
I will hope for a stand-alone Sawtooth product for my Manners then, but hopefully something longer than 7”….

Last edited:
I will hope for a stand-alone Sawtooth product for my Manners then, but hopefully something longer than 7”….
If you want to try something if Sawtooth doesn’t have what you need we do have USR rails for composite stocks longer than 7”.

Can you add weights to RRS rails. Right now I’m running Area 419 rails with weights, is there an RS alternative?
Not at the moment, looking at possibilities but it might not happen.

We made it backwards compatible, our new clamps should go on all rails of arca type whether it has R-Lock or not.

It’s the RRS standard dovetail so the clamp is backwards compatible, but there are no suppliers of R Lock rails beyond RRS as of yet.
There are quite a few companies that have the standard. Typically people don’t release products until SHOT, but if there are other companies that want the standard we offer it to them for free. It doesn’t take anything away from their current rails just adds a locking functionality without altering the edge geometry.

My first thought also.

I too do not use the pins in 419 clamp. I use it on a JAE ARCA rail and it doesn’t move which fulfills my needs.

But I’m neither a comp or mil guy so there may well be advantages to this RRS that I simply have no appreciation for.

If your opinion changes or you want to try it out, we made sure the USR rails with the chassis hardware would work with the old JAE as well. Honestly the system works the same. You don’t have to worry about adding or removing any pins. If there were any chance for a clamp to shift the R-Lock will engage. We had quite a few people request to make it fully non slip, since it’s going on all our rails, bipod clamps and ballheads you may see it more.

If anyone has any more questions or comments please let them fly. It’s a new product. There aren’t many clamps out there yet, so I understand people have questions as to the why and how’s.

@MPHReallyRightStuff - Any plans for 12" R-lock rails? Also it would be pretty sweet if someone had interchangeable lug interface options for the attachment side (top side) of the rails. Drop in Key-mod, M-lock, & universal install adapter attachment lugs.

Currently for this initial launch we picked those 3 sizes through research of most rifles on market.

The current USR have drop in boats or lugs to put the same rail on multiple types of rifles.

If I am understanding correctly, you are asking to attach something to (ex: mlok) on the bottom of the rail when installed on a rifle, I think we could figure out a way to do that with the rails.

What’s the eta on more SC-ARC clamps?
@MPHReallyRightStuff - Any plans for 12" R-lock rails? Also it would be pretty sweet if someone had interchangeable lug interface options for the attachment side (top side) of the rails. Drop in Key-mod, M-lock, & universal install adapter attachment lugs.

Hey I’m not the only one wanting a 12” rail 🙌🏻

Reactions: Maelstrom
Currently for this initial launch we picked those 3 sizes through research of most rifles on market.

The current USR have drop in boats or lugs to put the same rail on multiple types of rifles.

If I am understanding correctly, you are asking to attach something to (ex: mlok) on the bottom of the rail when installed on a rifle, I think we could figure out a way to do that with the rails.

12" is the sweet spot for about a third of my rifles. Works well on several Manners stocks that have a shorter fore ends or long actions. 12" also works well on AR platforms with 12.5" - 15" hand-guards. You lose about 2-1/4" -2-1/2" of hand-guard for the barrel nut section.

As for weight kits.....I'd be tickled if you just offered the same rails in an all steel nitrited version. KRG does this for their chassis, but there not universal. Most people I've talked to at matches with the 419 weight tuning rails, have all the weights installed. myself included.

Actually it looks like you've already done exactly what I was hoping for. I just wouldn't have picked up on it from the pictures on the web sight.

Maybe I'm a little slow, but the first time I looked at the USR rails I thought the Key-mod/M-locks options just applied to the attachment fateners. Having lugs that engage is a really attractive feature that deserves to be highlighted a little better on the web-sight.

I thought the drop in adapters where flat on top. I was wanting lugs that engage either M-Lock or Key-mod & that's exactly what you did I think?
Best pic I could find below appears to be M-lock lugs.

I will get the 340mm & the SC-ARC.

Thanks

1638726936616.png

I want to see both 12" and 14" mlok versions. I prefer having the rail extend to the very end or just past the handguards on my small frame AR's.

I want to see both 12" and 14" mlok versions. I prefer having the rail extend to the very end or just past the handguards on my small frame AR's.

There is a 340mm/13.39”/8 slot USR with MLOK hardware offered by RRS.