• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS TA-2U Leveling Base Gripes

aaronk

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Washington
Anyone else running this? Gotta say, I'm not exactly in love with it.

The base doesn't move super smooth and there's a lot of tension on it even with it completely unlocked. So much so, I don't even bother locking it down when I have optics in it as the unlocked base still provides enough tension to keep optics steady.

The locking lobes are located in great spots to be able to lock down with a single thumb push regardless of tripod orientation, but I almost wish there was more travel from unlocked to locked so you could more easily fine tune the base tension.

Is this thing adjustable at all? I can live with the locking lobe travel, but it would be great to be able to back off the tension on the base a little when it's completely unlocked. Anyone else experience the same with this particular base? I thought I'd get something comparable in feel to a TA-3 leveling base in terms of tension and lockup feel/travel, but the TA-2U has turned out to be quite a bit different.

Take the 4 screws out of the clamp. Remove the clamp, loosen up the nut on the inside (which times it) and try it out. See if it works better for you.

Reactions: aaronk
I run it on a manfrotto tripod and don’t have any of those problems. Maybe if you can take it apart and clean it?