• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS TFCT-14L - Shoot Standing?

mjspeers

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2020
I have a hunt planned in October. RRS says they may not have tripods by then, but they might. I was eyeing a TFCT-24L with Anvil, but don't know if they'll be available by then. I have found a sight that has a TFCT-14L with anvil.

Does anyone have experience shooting from a TFCT-14L? I am 6'1" and would like to be able to stand and shoot. Lighter is better but doesn't have to be the lightest, this will be a hunting tripod. I don't glass much. I already have a Two Vets No Name, so looking to stay as light as possible while maintaining decent stability and the ability to shoot standing.

Thanks

Probably get flamed for this. But I didn't notice a much stability difference between my nightforce tripod (guessing cheap chinese) and the RRS 14L with integrated ballhead. I returned the RRS 14L and got the 34L with Anvil30. It was absolutely night and day better. I would try and find a 24L, but I'll be packing my 34L this fall. I don't think I can justify a 24L on top of mine already.

You guys are confirming what I was suspecting.

I'm seeing Two Vets has a "Ruck" tripod, that's relatively light and super cheap in comparison. I may pick that up and throw my Anvil on it if all else fails.

You guys are confirming what I was suspecting.

I'm seeing Two Vets has a "Ruck" tripod, that's relatively light and super cheap in comparison. I may pick that up and throw my Anvil on it if all else fails.
I have a Ruck and periodically shoot from it. It's pretty wobbly even kneeling. I use the Ruck as a glassing tripod that I might be able to use in limited shooting scenarios. Depending on the kind of hunting you do, you might get by with the Ruck, but I agree with the others that a 24L is the way to go.

Reactions: mjspeers