• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS Tripod / Anvil 30

Andy27AL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2013
North AL
Stepping up my tripod game from the 0311/hog saddle. Planning to start the switch over to Arca - starting with my new long range hunter / steel killer.

Who has RRS stuff in stock? Hide sponsors?

I see there are quite a few different tripod options - I can read, but is there anything to particularly watch out for?

Thanks

I’ve never had leveling bases or a hog saddle, but I really like the anvil 30. I did however have the 22i and did not like it personally. It’s massive and doesn’t fold down to be compact. Sold it and got a 24L which I really like. Very compact and lightweight, perfect for range shooting and hunting which is all I do.

I had a RRS leveling base. It was very stable but limited in vertical range. I now have an Anvil 30 and like it so far

Leveveling bases are a bit more stable than ball heads in my opinion.

RRS was kind enough to let me try out a Anvil 30/24L setup for a 2 day match last July in UT with lots of high angle shots. Most were breeze to get a good firing position off the Anvil head kneeling and standing.
I felt panning was a bit trickier on the Anvil with the tension fully open that panning with their Leveling base unit.

The universal leveling base does have less travel than a ballhead or the Anvil. I run the older version which has 15 deg in every direction and i feel is more than enough for most shooting situations.
The new model offers 20deg travel which i think is perfect.

I seriously think you can’t go wrong with either. Pick whichever you feel will serve you best.

Reactions: Andy27AL
one of the main keys for me to using the anvil is finding the sweet spot in the tension to it isn't flopping around and isn't difficult to adjust without having to reach down and loosen the tension. i found that i like about 2-3 lbs of resistance (measured at the end of the buttstock).
in other words, the rifle is stationary, but will move in any direction without a lot of effort, and stay wherever you stop pushing.

What Arca rail are you guys going with?

I understand the Area 419 stuff is proprietary and wouldn't work without using their attachment?

What Arca rail are you guys going with?

I understand the Area 419 stuff is proprietary and wouldn't work without using their attachment?

the area 419 just have serrations that line up with there clamp. They technically work with whatever arca Swiss style head you want. I’m not sure if they run to RRS specs. I know our rails are RRS specc’d.

I just got an anvil 30… haven’t gotten to play with it in the field yet. Its definitely well made. But heavy.

Thermaloptics has been good to me. I highly recommend them.

You'll be able to 'upgrade' your current Anvil 30 w/ the parts being added to the 'new' Anvil 30. I haven't run the numbers but it should be the exact same cost either route based on all their other options/prices on tripods etc.

Thermaloptics has been good to me. I highly recommend them.

You'll be able to 'upgrade' your current Anvil 30 w/ the parts being added to the 'new' Anvil 30. I haven't run the numbers but it should be the exact same cost either route based on all their other options/prices on tripods etc.
No you will not be able to upgrade your Anvil with new parts. To many things changed on the clamp mechanism, unfortunately couldn’t be avoided if we wanted to make it adjustable.

Thermal optics plus is my go to guy too. He is actualy local to me so I can run by and pick stuff up. Great customer service.

Backorders from RRS are pretty reasonable. Awhile back I ordered a Setup with an anvil 30 and it took about a month, maybe a little less. That was right as they started a current batch

I think you'll run into opinions for different scenarios on this topic...

For example I'll compare to Henry
but I really like the anvil 30.
100% agree
I did however have the 22i and did not like it personally.
100% disagree
It’s massive and doesn’t fold down to be compact.
Agree
Sold it and got a 24L which I really like. Very compact and lightweight, perfect for range shooting and hunting which is all I do.
I have a feisol that packs down small and is lighter... I never use it now in comparison
Range and a little hunting is all I do as well
I'm not a backpack hunter though and I keep travel to 2miles or less and sometimes 1/4 mile is all I'm moving.
I LOVE the 22i in comparison and like how much easier it is to keep clean than my others with most of the mud being on the outside leg vs sliding into the others! This alone makes me wish they were all inverted!

Night hunting Fields I don't even take it off the tripod to travel. Just put tripod and rifle on shoulder with barrel up and walk

I also like the ARCA myself but my hunting buddy prefers the saddle approach.

Again I think it'll swing based on personal preference and circumstances though

Maybe we could talk rrs into trying an inverted set up with a leg set a size down as well?

I have a feisol that packs down small and is lighter... I never use it now in comparison
Range and a little hunting is all I do as well
I'm not a backpack hunter though and I keep travel to 2miles or less and sometimes 1/4 mile is all I'm moving.
I LOVE the 22i in comparison and like how much easier it is to keep clean than my others with most of the mud being on the outside leg vs sliding into the others! This alone makes me wish they were all inverted!

That is true! The 22i is super easy to keep clean. The 24L can get real dirty getting mud and grime into the legs. I just couldn’t deal with that massive footprint of having to put the legs into the 2nd position when sitting on the ground. I would love a 23/24 or possibly a 33 with inverted legs!

I am inspecting my 22i after the PRS season before our final match ( PRS Italy ). When I bought it I wrapped with vetrap the lower sections. This thing looks like brand new, period end of story. worth every penny.

I called and asked rrs to build me a 22i series 3, so I could use a 75mm video bowl leveling base, they politely declined.

For night coyote hunting flat fields in the midwest, the 22i with the tau-sc leveling base cant be beat IMHO