• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RRS Tripod Assistance

elmer05

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2019
I’m trying to decide which RRS tripod to buy, between these 3:

1. TFCT 34 with Anvil 30
2. TFCT 33 with Anvil 30
3. TVC 22i with Anvil 30

I have an Accuracy Ordnance 6.5 Creedmoor and a CZ 457 22LR, both with Manners PRS stocks and Area 419 ARCA rails. I’m 1 year into long range shooting. Have taken some classes and shot the 6.5 out to 1200 yards. I shoot some NRL22 matches, and practice with the 22 a lot at my local 100 yard range. I want to keep progressing and eventually get into PRS match shooting. I don’t hunt (yet anyway), but I do have to haul everything from the truck to the shooting stations at the range. So I’m thinking that the smaller folded footprint and apex of the 34 or 33 might be preferable, but just not sure and would like to buy the one that best fits my usage (and potential future usage) without wishing I had selected a different one. Anyone have a recommendation based on similar usage?

Thanks in advance! And Happy Thanksgiving!
Elmer

Elmer, I have a TVC-22i with the new TA-2U-SC leveling base for PRS and couldn't be happier. You can't go wrong with the Anvil either. I found a cheap bag on Amazon that perfectly fits the tripod and the head. The first time you will use it in mud or snow you will bless the reverse legs like I did. I wrapped the lower section with a generous amount of Mcnett tape and this will keep it away from scratches too. With the traditional legs you can do that just with the upper sections...

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
For your specified uses I’d go to the 22i or the 33. Nothing you mentioned would put the 34 in the running.

If you plan to get into hunting seldom and will use the tripod, go the 33 route.

If you intend on only shooting at the range and entering some comps down the road the 22i is very popular for that use. It’s the stiffest of the ones you mentioned, has a slightly larger apex so you can multip mounting options, and costs the least. If you want the Anvil you’ll have to get a 2 series platform adapter for it.

Down side for the 22i where the 33 wins is picking size and easier to shoot low seated without moving the legs angles as much.

you mentioned the size carrying to the range/bench. I made the specs of the 22i to be in accordance with the most popular pelican cases used in precision shooting so my 22i just lives there with with my rifles.

feel free to ask anymore questions. I am sure I left out some stuff without re reading everything.

• Love
Reactions: Diver160651
Thank you both for the quick replies!

Michael - What's your take on the Anvil 30 vs the TA-2U-SC for shooting? I think I'm still leaning toward the Anvil 30.

I'm still wrestling with the 22i vs 33 decision, weighing the advantages of each.

I also have a Vortex Viper HD spotting scope and Sig Sauer rangefinder binos (on an Outdoorsman bino mount). Both of these have a small diameter mounting hole (1/4x20 I think). What would I use (attach to these) to quickly mount them on the Anvil 30 or TA-2U-SC? Would the Large Dovetail Plate (TH-DVTL-55) work for this?

Thanks again for the help!

For your specified uses I’d go to the 22i or the 33. Nothing you mentioned would put the 34 in the running.

If you plan to get into hunting seldom and will use the tripod, go the 33 route.

If you intend on only shooting at the range and entering some comps down the road the 22i is very popular for that use. It’s the stiffest of the ones you mentioned, has a slightly larger apex so you can multip mounting options, and costs the least. If you want the Anvil you’ll have to get a 2 series platform adapter for it.

Down side for the 22i where the 33 wins is picking size and easier to shoot low seated without moving the legs angles as much.

you mentioned the size carrying to the range/bench. I made the specs of the 22i to be in accordance with the most popular pelican cases used in precision shooting so my 22i just lives there with with my rifles.

feel free to ask anymore questions. I am sure I left out some stuff without re reading everything.

I thought I'd take advantage of your knowledge here. I really like the idea of having a tripod but I don't know enough about the particulars to make an educated decision. I'd really like to be able to use a clamp type head most of the time (unless it doesn't work well) but I also have a fair amount of AR type set ups that I could use some other type of Mount if it will attach to a m-lock or keymod rail.

I'd really like to be able to use the tripod with a number of different guns (thus the clamp type head). That would include. .270, 30-6 (win model 70 type bolt guns), as well as AR-10 , AR 15, and 10/22's. I may even want to put my mpx-9mm on it to zero my red dot further.

In short, I'd like it to work for "all around use" . There are so many out there and from the ones that I've had my hands on, the lock-up, the tension screw caps/knobs, and ease of use vary a TON! How can I make a good selection for myself??? TIA- others with lots of experience with tri-pods would also be welcome.

I was wondering the exact same three and talked to the guys over at Mile High Shooting and they suggested the TFCT 33 with Anvil 30 for what I wanted which is to hold a Larger Long Rifle steady for long range shooting and also use it for spotting scope

I was wondering the exact same three and talked to the guys over at Mile High Shooting and they suggested the TFCT 33 with Anvil 30 for what I wanted which is to hold a Larger Long Rifle steady for long range shooting and also use it for spotting scope

So you just use pic rails at the base of your rail/handguard on your AR10/15 type guns, and install pic rails on the other bolt guns that don't have arca on em?

How well does it hold in place concerning the balance of the gun while mounting so far towards the barrel?

Also, how well does it stay in place without the locking adjustment knobs on that Anvil head?

Thanks for the info

Michael - What's your take on the Anvil 30 vs the TA-2U-SC for shooting? I think I'm still leaning toward the Anvil 30.

I'm still wrestling with the 22i vs 33 decision, weighing the advantages of each.

I also have a Vortex Viper HD spotting scope and Sig Sauer rangefinder binos (on an Outdoorsman bino mount). Both of these have a small diameter mounting hole (1/4x20 I think). What would I use (attach to these) to quickly mount them on the Anvil 30 or TA-2U-SC? Would the Large Dovetail Plate (TH-DVTL-55) work for this?

The B76 would work for both of those. The B6 or BPnS is a little smaller for that outdoorsman Mount since you don’t need it as big. I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t tell you about our Cinch-LR Elite bino adapter. It’s all I use now while at competition or hunting.

Different strokes for different folks. The Anvil is by far more popular like 50:1. It’s stronger, has more adjustment and the fit of it to the tripod. People just levitate to it.
Saying that I have shot the leveling base a lot and on flat ranges with little angles it works really well, I just don’t like it as much for binos or spotter. With any leveling base I tend to smack myself in the face with the objective lens. Might be lack of using it though.

I thought I'd take advantage of your knowledge here. I really like the idea of having a tripod but I don't know enough about the particulars to make an educated decision. I'd really like to be able to use a clamp type head most of the time (unless it doesn't work well) but I also have a fair amount of AR type set ups that I could use some other type of Mount if it will attach to a m-lock or keymod rail.

I'd really like to be able to use the tripod with a number of different guns (thus the clamp type head). That would include. .270, 30-6 (win model 70 type bolt guns), as well as AR-10 , AR 15, and 10/22's. I may even want to put my mpx-9mm on it to zero my red dot further.

In short, I'd like it to work for "all around use" . There are so many out there and from the ones that I've had my hands on, the lock-up, the tension screw caps/knobs, and ease of use vary a TON! How can I make a good selection for myself??? TIA- others with lots of experience with tri-pods would also be welcome.

If money wasn’t in the equation I would say buy the VYCE with the Quick Release plate for all your traditional style rifles.

All of our Ball Heads and Leveling bases now have the option if youbuy the right pieces to attaché to picatinny and ourRRS Dovetail with the same clamp.

So if you have AR rifles that have 6 o’clock picatinny your all good. If you need keynote we have the BKmod-60. If you need MLOK we have BMLOK in 69-14-240mm lengths.
We also have diffferent chassis specific plates as well as some generic MPR in 73,113mm and 6 inches which is what I use to install to all my hunting and traditional style rifles.

Lots of info, if you have time call me tomorrow during work. 385-248-0800
Michael.

Michael and everyone - Thank you very much for the help! I just ordered the TFCT33 with Anvil 30, a B76 plate (for my spotting scope), a BPnS plate (for my binos), and a KeyMod plate (for my AR) (although I expect to be mostly shooting my bolt rifles that have ARCA rails). Now I can't wait to get it and use it!

Elmer

Reactions: giumau1
Michael and everyone - Thank you very much for the help! I just ordered the TFCT33 with Anvil 30, a B76 plate (for my spotting scope), a BPnS plate (for my binos), and a KeyMod plate (for my AR) (although I expect to be mostly shooting my bolt rifles that have ARCA rails). Now I can't wait to get it and use it!

Elmer

Thank you. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Give us a aar once you’ve had some time with it, if you feel so inclined.

If money wasn’t in the equation I would say buy the VYCE with the Quick Release plate for all your traditional style rifles.

All of our Ball Heads and Leveling bases now have the option if youbuy the right pieces to attaché to picatinny and ourRRS Dovetail with the same clamp.

So if you have AR rifles that have 6 o’clock picatinny your all good. If you need keynote we have the BKmod-60. If you need MLOK we have BMLOK in 69-14-240mm lengths.
We also have diffferent chassis specific plates as well as some generic MPR in 73,113mm and 6 inches which is what I use to install to all my hunting and traditional style rifles.

Michael.

Michael.

Hey there, I apologize for taking so long to reply to you. I had every intention of just calling you but work has just been insane. I just haven't been able to call during any sort of normal work hours.

I'd like to get a tri-pod and be able to use many gun platforms on it, but I really don't want to spend $2k on this, just because I don't shoot enough to really do that. (Of course I hope to change that sooner rather than later). On the other hand, I also VERY much don't want to get a tri-pod and head that I'm not going to be happy with, and effectively waste my money, because of then paying for a new set up that I will be happy with. I guess that's everyone's position but, not knowing much about the tri-pod stuff, I really have no idea what level of tri-pod and head will be acceptable and what will just piss me off that I wasted money on a piece of junk.

I'm trying to buy some land in 2021, which would allow me to shoot a ton more, and of course take my kids shooting there. The range is great and all but it isn't ideal.

So, that's kind of where I'm at. If you don't want to do some long reply here that's totally fine and we can try to get on a call, it's just extremely difficult for me to block out any time where I won't be interrupted right now. I thought I better go ahead and reply to this in case I weren't able to reach you anytime soon.

Thanks so much!

Thank you. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Give us a aar once you’ve had some time with it, if you feel so inclined.
Here's my AAR. This tripod is awesome!!! It is rock solid. The Anvil 30 ball head is great. It was easy to get used to managing the tension to aim the rifle, then when you're ready to lock it down it clamps tight without moving at all. I have shot 3 rifles off of it, and used it for my spotting scope at the range. I couldn't be happier with this gear!!! Thanks!!!

Hey there, I apologize for taking so long to reply to you. I had every intention of just calling you but work has just been insane. I just haven't been able to call during any sort of normal work hours.

I'd like to get a tri-pod and be able to use many gun platforms on it, but I really don't want to spend $2k on this, just because I don't shoot enough to really do that. (Of course I hope to change that sooner rather than later). On the other hand, I also VERY much don't want to get a tri-pod and head that I'm not going to be happy with, and effectively waste my money, because of then paying for a new set up that I will be happy with. I guess that's everyone's position but, not knowing much about the tri-pod stuff, I really have no idea what level of tri-pod and head will be acceptable and what will just piss me off that I wasted money on a piece of junk.

I'm trying to buy some land in 2021, which would allow me to shoot a ton more, and of course take my kids shooting there. The range is great and all but it isn't ideal.

So, that's kind of where I'm at. If you don't want to do some long reply here that's totally fine and we can try to get on a call, it's just extremely difficult for me to block out any time where I won't be interrupted right now. I thought I better go ahead and reply to this in case I weren't able to reach you anytime soon.

Thanks so much!

coming from a poor...
i went back and forth over whether to buy an RRS or "settle" for a tripod from chinama and decided on RRS for lots of reasons.
but deciding to spend the money is only the first step, lol.

i think the rrs guy knows what he is talking about, and he will tell you which one will fit your application best.
he might tell you to get the tfc-33 with the anvil-30 like elmer, which is basically perfect for shooting.

BUT, i chose a tvc-34 mk2 series 3, with the versa adapter and anvil-30 head - and here's why.

why the tvc when i intend to run the anvil? aren't you just throwing more money away?
- versatility if the tripod is used for other things later on, with a leveling base or center post.
- wider apex must be inherently more stable, just like bipods that are wider.
- extra "bulkiness" not a factor for me. i am not worried about squeezing it in somewhere.

why the 34 and not the 33?
- i am not tall and don't need to use the 4th section for standing with all legs in the 1st position.
- i don't think the extra section impacts stability that much if they aren't extended.
- why not get the one that gets shortest and tallest if i am spending so much anyway?

so as you can see, i am a master at rationalization.
i helped to justify the expense by choosing the tripod that will be most appreciated by those that inherit it after i am gone.
i thought about buying a green tripod or a chinese tripod for a fraction of the price, but then i could see those sold cheap as something "dad used for shooting" at a garage sale when i am gone.

i look my rrs tripod as an example of american craftmanship to be passed down to the next generation.
it might not be used for shooting, but that is the least common use for tripods...and they could always get good money for it.

Last edited:
btw, i don't run all 3 legs in pos1 and i am curious what is most common.
so far i get the best results with 2 in pos1 and the front in pos2. for standing that means extending the 4th section half way in front.
because the recoil is back towards the rear leg that only have 3 sections out, it is rock solid.
also, i think the forward cant of the plate in this orientation, the recoil drives the legs down instead of back.
in any case, i was able to shoot good groups with holes touching in rapid fire using this method with a load weighted tripod.

coming from a poor...
i went back and forth over whether to buy an RRS or "settle" for a tripod from chinama and decided on RRS for lots of reasons.
but deciding to spend the money is only the first step, lol.

i think the rrs guy knows what he is talking about, and he will tell you which one will fit your application best.
he might tell you to get the tfc-33 with the anvil-30 like elmer, which is basically perfect for shooting.

BUT, i chose a tvc-34 mk2 series 3, with the versa adapter and anvil-30 head - and here's why.

why the tvc when i intend to run the anvil? aren't you just throwing more money away?
- versatility if the tripod is used for other things later on, with a leveling base or center post.
- wider apex must be inherently more stable, just like bipods that are wider.
- extra "bulkiness" not a factor for me. i am not worried about squeezing it in somewhere.

why the 34 and not the 33?
- i am not tall and don't need to use the 4th section for standing with all legs in the 1st position.
- i don't think the extra section impacts stability that much if they aren't extended.
- why not get the one that gets shortest and tallest if i am spending so much anyway?

so as you can see, i am a master at rationalization.
i helped to justify the expense by choosing the tripod that will be most appreciated by those that inherit it after i am gone.
i thought about buying a green tripod or a chinese tripod for a fraction of the price, but then i could see those sold cheap as something "dad used for shooting" at a garage sale when i am gone.

i look my rrs tripod as an example of american craftmanship to be passed down to the next generation.
it might not be used for shooting, but that is the least common use for tripods...and they could always get good money for it.

That's some good points. I research the living crap out of any major or semi major purchase anyway, so I appreciate all of that type of thinking.

I can't help but think about getting a "predator tactics" or BOG or PIG type tri-pod, then put a good head on it, but that would probably bite me in the but.

I've used carbon tripods of all sorts and sizes in my photography for over 20 years. My preferences:

- 3 leg extensions
- Maximum weight capacity
- Maximum height available

3 leg extensions just because leg extensions are a pain. Adding three more controls on the tripod is more of a pain and the small savings in retracted length is not worth the extra hassle. Four extensions are not as rigid as three.

Maximum weight capacity because it makes the tripod more robust. One thing people don't mention is that less robust tripods suffer from harmonic vibrations. Those take a while to settle, if they do at all, and are readily observable in the photographs. And, the more you extend the tripod legs the less the maximum weight they hold (look at the specs). There is a reason for that.

Height is good. The more the better. Try to put the rifle stock on your shoulder and shoot up at say a 30 degree angle while using a 5 foot tripod. You're not going to like it.

I've used carbon tripods of all sorts and sizes in my photography for over 20 years. My preferences:

- 3 leg extensions
- Maximum weight capacity
- Maximum height available

3 leg extensions just because leg extensions are a pain. Adding three more controls on the tripod is more of a pain and the small savings in retracted length is not worth the extra hassle. Four extensions are not as rigid as three.

Maximum weight capacity because it makes the tripod more robust. One thing people don't mention is that less robust tripods suffer from harmonic vibrations. Those take a while to settle, if they do at all, and are readily observable in the photographs. And, the more you extend the tripod legs the less the maximum weight they hold (look at the specs). There is a reason for that.

Height is good. The more the better. Try to put the rifle stock on your shoulder and shoot up at say a 30 degree angle while using a 5 foot tripod. You're not going to like it.

I appreciate the info and the points here. This is the kind of stuff I'm trying to find out to make the best decision.

Different strokes for different folks. The Anvil is by far more popular like 50:1. It’s stronger, has more adjustment and the fit of it to the tripod. People just levitate to it.
Saying that I have shot the leveling base a lot and on flat ranges with little angles it works really well, I just don’t like it as much for binos or spotter. With any leveling base I tend to smack myself in the face with the objective lens. Might be lack of using it though.

I want to add to this and reinforce what Mike said.

I love the stability of the video bowl leveling heads as a pure shooting platform, even more than the universal; however, in the feild you will give up a lot of flexibility and speed in how you can use your legs if you choose a leveling base over the Anvil.

7BBEEB49-D707-47C9-A4F4-7B9B7CB75F1C.jpeg

For instance high prone as in the image above, you might need one apex leg lock opened up. The head must have enough range or you can not accomplish this. This is also true for steep slopes or if you want to experiment with a lower front leg for more recoil assistance when using a lightweight hunting magnum.

this thread might help illustrate some of the Scenarios I mention; it is at 17k views already.

Last edited:
So, could anyone tell me about a RRS series 1?
TQC-14 Mk2

there's a used one that seems to be in excellent shape. Is it worth getting or are the newer features that much better? TIA

So, could anyone tell me about a RRS series 1?
TQC-14 Mk2

there's a used one that seems to be in excellent shape. Is it worth getting or are the newer features that much better? TIA
not sure it accept the plate for the anvil if you want to use it for shooting but the rrs guy can tell you.
it is the lightest ones they make so not sure it is best choice for shooting but maybe great for spotter.

:eek:
not sure it accept the plate for the anvil if you want to use it for shooting but the rrs guy can tell you.
it is the lightest ones they make so not sure it is best choice for shooting but maybe great for spotter.

Oh I see, I didn't know that. That would be a deal breaker. I will probably only use this for shooting and maybe spotting. Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!