• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rubber Bands on bolt guns?

nockhunter

Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2010
    upstate ny
    I have been watching some Rimfire PRS stuff on the "tube" and noticed that some shooter have a rubber band attached to their bolts. They cycle the bolts with the rubber band attached to the bolt and the stock,(to force the bolt back). Any one have some info?

Mike

Check out min 3:39 (I know crocks too)

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
    Might have in the past had a bolt close when they didn't want to so now want to ensure it stays back?

Reactions: King_beardsly
    In some matches the bolt must be open when moving between positions and the band may be to ensure that it stays open.

A 'self-retracting' bolt might be a little bit faster to use and have positive ejection. I dunno.

I do like that shooting prop made from the crossed stair stringers though. I might make one of those myself.

I know a few people doing it on their RimX since they had the bolt go forward to strip a round while moving on a stage and then they run the bolt forward not noticing the round already attached to the bolt face causing a double feed issue.

I like to poke fun at them and say it’s their high speed low drag semi auto bolt gun, but I’ve done it on my B14R but not my RimX yet.

Reactions: Travis224
    I agree that it is to hold the bolt back while transitioning. Not a terrible idea and might start seeing it in center fire too. My Tikka bolt is so 'smooth' that it closes when I point the muzzle down.

I think it's just that one guy.....I haven't seen anyone use that method here in TX that I know of. I do use a similar setup to close the bolt against the chamber flag to keep it in, but it's from the flag side no the cheek rest.

I was thinking along those lines. Maybe overthinking a little, (simplest answer is usually the right one). I think I've seen it at other shoots also.

Mike

I use one. My Vudoo is so smooth that the bolt will move forward and chamber a round if I lower the barrel. The bungee keeps the action open for safety.

Reactions: Sniff
    Never even thought about a need for that. Never had an issue running without one and will continue without. Maybe because from years of matches my muzzle is most always level or up when transitioning. It’s cheap insurance if someone has the issue though.

• Wow
    Reactions: Cowpokey
    Never even thought about a need for that. Never had an issue running without one and will continue without. Maybe because from years of matches my muzzle is most always level or up when transitioning. It’s cheap insurance if someone has the issue though.
    Muzzle discipline?!?!? Crazy Talk!!!! [/sarcasm]

• Haha
    Reactions: Rob01
    Funny timing, as I just asked a buddy about this yesterday. He runs a light weight bungee cord on his RimX. Another guy we shoot with has a well broken in Bergara that does the same. It mainly has to do with the potential of the bolt moving forward, unseating a round from the magazine when moving into and out of barricades.

I put one on my RimX and practiced a bit, and I could see it could help with short stroking the bolt. I’ve done that a couple of times, and created a jam I had to clear. There is a match tomorrow and I’m debating running it on my rifle.

I saw a guy two years ago at NRL22 Nationals in Nebraska do that.

At first I thought it was the opposite. That he wanted a band that wrapped up from his handle to his elevation turret and kept the bolt up yet forward to keep dirt/crud out of his action.

But it was a bungee cord in fact attached to his cheekriser post and laced through a hole in his bolt handle. Neat idea. Don't know if I ever stripped a round accidentally that I can think of. The local matches here never have any vigorous movement so its not a concern really.