• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rubber Damping added to a stock?

CShooter92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I used to run a foundation stock and loved the damping characteristics of micarta. I ended up selling it just because it didn't fit quite right and I switched to a Manners TCS. It's not as bad as a chassis IMO for recoil vibration but it's still there. MDT has the new rubber kit that will dampen recoil in their chassis.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever added rubber/silicone/etc. to a stock to try to soak up some of that vibration? I'm thinking in the bottom of the barrel channel or maybe in the weight slots in the arca rail.

I added some rubber strip things a few weeks ago that snap into the MLok slots on my ESS fore end in an attempt to dampen vibration. Can’t really tell a difference when shooting but it does make the heavy beast easier to lift up and out of the safe now 🤷‍♂️

You can get a dead fill TCS 🤷🏾‍♂️

Otherwise, I don't know how else you can make a non-Foundation feel like a Foundation. Nothing else out there like it.

Why? What negative impact on hitting targets does this vibration you feel have?

Is this like a heated seats in a car type of thing?

Do people really complain about "vibration" when shooting a centerfire rifle?

LOL
No, vibration likely doesn't have much effect on hitting targets. This is mostly a "I'm interested to see if it'll make a noticeable difference" type experiment.

You can get a dead fill TCS 🤷🏾‍♂️

Otherwise, I don't know how else you can make a non-Foundation feel like a Foundation. Nothing else out there like it.
Ya I know, unfortunately I already have a standard fill TCS on my rifle so I'm working with that.

LOL
Why not? People complain about the “sproing“ sound in an Ar15. 3 prong flash hiders were replaced with bird cage flash hiders, in part, because of the ring they make when firing. And, were talking about a custom rifle. If I had a custom rifle that rang like a tuning fork every time I pulled the trigger, I might look for some dampening too.

Hmmm... maybe there's a way I can make a lot of money off this... err, I mean... interesting technical questions you raise.

If I can just get all the manufacturers to start threading the front of their stocks...

kitchoices3.jpg

Three prong flash hiders were replaced because they caught on everything and grabbed vegetation. Myself, I want someone with EDM equipment to make a muzzle device that has whistles built into it. Confuse the shit out of people at the range.

Reactions: lash
I've never shot a rifle that sounded like a tuning fork. Never once had the thought that my chassis was producing a strange vibration. So far working with a KRG W3, AI AO chassis, and MPAs. What guns have a noticable vibration during firing?
All chassis's are prone to them. MDT ACC is known for it. It's a very common issue.

What is the issue it creates?
It creates a vibration similar to a tuning fork. It does not affect rounds down range but it is extremely annoying to the shooter. Imagine someone placing a high pitched sound device on your face and inside your ears. If you're fine with that, then whatever. Some people are, some are not. Some are less prone to it, such as the XLR.

I guess I'm shooting the chassis in question and I've never even noticed it. 🤷 Are you sure the affect is as drastic as you're saying it is? Would I have to go shoot a Foundation in order to go back and shoot an MPA order to pick it up?
Not really. It likely matters on a host of other variables, too. Your findings are similar to many people, some don't notice it and others do. I'm guessing it could be based on certain calibers, actions, etc. I personally noticed it. But I didn't stop shooting a chassis cuz of the sound... I just prefer stocks and my weather certainly is not chassis-friendly (cold, wet, etc).

I noticed the acc ringing depended on where my bipod was placed. Under one particular mlock slot on a bare chassis had it buzzin. Ive since added weights and all that and havent noticed it anymore.

Reactions: D_TROS
On a side note, I've been baffled by people commenting on the affect of chassis in cold weather. Metal feels colder than wood or plastic. If it's that cold, don't you just wear gloves? I'm in Colorado and it's currently -7 at my house. I shot a match two weeks ago in a snow storm. At times you couldn't even see targets. I just wore gloves. Mainly because my hands would have been too cold, in general. Not because I was shooting a chassis.
We get the same weather. And shoot in similar conditions. I don't wear gloves when competing. In-between stages, yes. Stay warm!

Why not? You run a really light trigger and worry about trigger finger sensitivity?
I lack feeling from an injury to my arm many years ago (which included crushed nerves). Wearing gloves would further hinder my tactile ability, unfortunately.

Okay, so aside from a one-off, personal constraint, backing up to the point I made, doesn't the fact that a person needs to wear gloves anyway negate the felt temperature difference in materials?
Lots of folks don't wear gloves when shooting a stage.

Evasive.

Okay, let's go back to the why. Why don't they? Is it because they have super light triggers and are worried about ADs? Do they lack confidence in their ability to execute trigger pull fundamentals with gloves on?
It's the same reason some skydivers don't wear gloves and some surgeons request certain mil thickness in gloves when doing a job... Tactile sensation. Not evasive, it's an answer: sensation caused by pressure receptors in the skin are different for everyone. It has nothing to do with confidence or fundamentals.

Why does it matter to you who does or doesn't wear gloves?

LOL
No one’s complaining. But some people just have a knack for making things better. It’s what we do, how our minds think. We are never satisfied. You should understand this more than most. Anyway, vibration isn’t the correct description. It’s more of a sharpness that is the exact opposite of how shooting a wooden stock feels.

Because I think it's a bullshit, made up reason. The fact is people just like what they like. When they assert things as facts and then are challenged they make up bullshit reasons that sound good if you don't think about it for longer than 5 seconds. The whole cold metal thing is a perfect example. Bro, if it's cold enough that you can't carry your metal chassis thru the woods or in between stages then it's too cold for you to handle most other things and the universal solution to that is .... gloves. It's why a person has to wear contact gloves in cold weather environments. If it's cold enough you're going to wear gloves regardless of what you're shooting. The narrow bandwidth of moderate temperature where a chassis is too cold to handle but a fiberglass stock isn't ...but where you also aren't forced to wear gloves constantly....is a small negligible condition.

There's a lot of this in PRS-land and people that learned everything they know about shooting long range in PRS are the worst culprits
Ok. A very interesting thing to get worked up about. 🤷🏾‍♂️ 👍🏾

Reactions: stewbud
Comfort is personal. Cotton vs 'Dri-fit'. Cloth vs leather seats. Blonde vs brunette. Manual vs automatic. No, auto transmissions are, just, wrong, but anyway. Gloves vs man hands. Disagreeing with personal preference is stupid. Like capital S stupid. Especially on a custom rifle.

Reactions: Roksliding
You can call it "disagreeing with comfort" if you want. I call it challenging bullshit reasons
It is an undeniable fact that metal transmits heat much more readily than plastic and wood- both in releasing it (hot to the touch) and sucking it up (being cold to the touch). It doesn't need to be arctic conditions for a piece of metal to be uncomfortable to hold (or rest your face on) for an extended time.

Perhaps the shooter prefers not to wear gloves because s/he has shit to do with their hands that requires relatively fine control, and gloves prevent that- or just make a task an annoyance. Maybe the shooter uses a hand warmer like NFL Quarterbacks use to keep his/her hands warm. I mean, you could make the argument that a Quarterback should just learn to throw a football with a gloved hand, but that's stupid with a capital S too. Oh, and most don't wear gloves over their heads. Your face is on that stock too. Your calling BS on BS reasons is BS.

Evasive.

Okay, let's go back to the why. Why don't they? Is it because they have super light triggers and are worried about ADs? Do they lack confidence in their ability to execute trigger pull fundamentals with gloves on?

I have light triggers and dont want an AD lol

I also dont want my gloves catching on the trigger guard bumping into the trigger.

I also like the tactile trigger to better anticipate trigger pull. Even if its cold.

I pull my trigger alot and ya Id argue my confidence goes up without gloves...

I also have shot Foundation and there is a difference. Its less noticable the more weights you have on a chassi but its there. weird I dont really notice it with the magnesium stock maybe cause like you I nvr looked for it. Im excited to shoot XLR's brass stock... some peoples ocd it could really bother you...I think its blown out of context in actually mattering or even being noticable tho... but wanting that wood feel in a AL chassi...well deadeners help but its still there.

Ive also shot chassi side by side with and without deadeners and didnt notice BUT there were diff weights on the chassis. Satterlee said he could feel the diff... Was his rifle.

would be cool to see some actual science tests with accelerometers and stuff...hint hint mdt

GL
DT

To be fair, I think rubber in the stock has merit.
MDT is going to be selling that stuff soon, look at the butt stock from their own instagram (note: the guy also wears gloves :ROFLMAO: )

Reactions: CShooter92
To be fair, I think rubber in the stock has merit.
MDT is going to be selling that stuff soon, look at the butt stock from their own instagram (note: the guy also wears gloves :ROFLMAO: )

This is where I got the idea from and thought it might work on other stocks.

This is a strange argument. "Why don't you wear a condom when you play golf? Lots of people wear condoms! Lots of people play golf!" :)

What the hell is this thread about?

I've never been skydiving.

Shot 1 match & took 1 class in the cold, didn't wear gloves.

I agree the chassis to cold thing is BS. Xylo has a wood grip/plastic cheek rest, MDT has rubber grip/plastic rest, J Allen Rubber/plastic, Manners fiberglass. If shooting in cold don't lick your chassis.

I haven't noticed any vibration tuning fork affect in my Xylo. Feels solid & don't perceive a harmonic difference to the Manners TCS. I did add some dampening to the Xylo. Not to solve any problem or issue.
Just did it cause vibrations are bad & dampening them never has negative affects. What the hell why not. I just cut some thin rubber sheet I had, hole punched it with a gasket punch & put it between the internal weights and the chassis. Does it do anything? Hell if I know, but it only took a few extra minutes when adding the weights. About 500 rounds before & 800 since. Didn't notice any difference but I wasn't looking for any.

IMG_6786.jpg
IMG_6787.jpg

To OP @CShooter92 - I have an old roll of this special sound/vibration dampening tape in the garage. If your hell bent on trying to dampen your stock I doubt there's anything better available. It would fit in the barrel channel NP. The tape I have is the 2" wide part #2552. If you want to try it, shoot me a PM. You cover shipping and I'll send you a couple feet.

I used some to line the metal enclosure covers of a milling machine and it worked really well.

https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/2552-series/5174

1645846653172.png

Reactions: D_TROS
You have to spend 1600 on the bare chassis then addd a few hundred dollars in weights then another 80 on rubber dildos to keep tuning fork vibes down.

MDT exists to separate fools from their money. For 1600 bucks they could aleast throw in the rubber dinguses.

I like to wear gloves, with rubber on them, then when I shoot I take one glove off and cram it into an orifice (on the rifle ((most of the time on the rifle)))…. It’s like the best of all the worlds.. dampening and warmth

But in seriousness, I would imagine there is some merit to rubber dampening, the archery industry has been doing it for years. Not just the snake oil aftermarket approach either, there is manufacturers that put it in/on their bows.. I just don’t know it is perceivable in a center fire rifle application. Like an Apples to apples -before/after… but the mind can be powerful, and convince you otherwise.

I sanded some rubber stock down to tightishly fit in the empty unused holes on my foundation forearm… if I told you I could tell a difference I’d be lying, but at least dirt or mice or anything won’t get in the holes now.. I’m probably gonna print out some trends n graphs n shit and sell them stay tuned…

On a side note, I've been baffled by people commenting on the affect of chassis in cold weather. Metal feels colder than wood or plastic. If it's that cold, don't you just wear gloves? I'm in Colorado and it's currently -7 at my house. I shot a match two weeks ago in a snow storm. At times you couldn't even see targets. I just wore gloves. Mainly because my hands would have been too cold, in general. Not because I was shooting a chassis.
Having lived in ND and Minnesota for a long time, here’s my take on it.

Short version: gloves only slow the cold conduction. This is really exacerbated at sub -30°F. Gloves are a pain because they get lost, wet, and reduce dexterity. Not using gloves is a very nice convenience at more moderate temps and it makes objects easier to use in cold weather.

Scenario #1 REALLY COLD
Like -30°F, -40°F. Even with gloves, a carried metal object at those temps will conduct cold right through one’s crushed glove insulation (crushed because you’re gripping the object). So carrying a wood stocked rifle in the hand over a longer distance would be much more doable at those temps.

If you are wearing mongo mittens, big and thick enough to reduce manual dexterity to zero, you probably won’t notice this for a while. But it will happen. And meanwhile your hands are more like flippers.

But if you are wearing any sort of thinner glove that would allow you to operate, say, a rifle, then the cold will zap right through those if you carry the metal chassis for 10+ minutes. Maybe less. I have never timed it but have learned through experience that you just don’t want to touch, sit, or even stand on metal when it’s super cold, even with a big snow boots and a snowmobile-type suit on.

And sometimes you are forced to use bare hands even when it’s super cold. I like to mimimize that problem by having less-conducting materials on a cold-weather rifle.

If the outer part of the chassis is polymer, it’ll be easier to deal as ice won’t freeze to it quite as bad and as quickly.

Scenario #2 Convenience/Usability
Below freezing but not really cold. Here, for me, it comes down to convenience and ease of use. Unless we’re talking about handling something rough or caustic that will tear your hands apart, I prefer not to wear gloves unless I need extra grip, like when I’m benching 270.

Gloves are a pain. They get lost. They get wet from sweat or from wet snow. They reduce dexterity. So if an object is made of some less conducting material, I might get away from not using gloves and am more comfortable for it (both not for keeping track of gloves and temperature comfort).

Like axe handles, shovel handles, steering wheels. Those would suck if they were metal. Of course a metal axe handle would vibrate you like Wile E. Coyote, forget about that for a second.

Think of an AI AT or Arctic Warfare, or a Sako TG22 made by the cold-weather Finns (I know you know who makes the Sako, just pointing that out for some others). They’re clad in polymer for a reason.

I think was a less-wise move for AI/Sako to make more externally all-metal rifles. Even though I have an AX for its looks (stupid). At least the handgrip bits are poly.

Think of it this way…cheek piece. Poly cheek pieces just make life easier in cold weather (vs a metal one, which I’ve never seen and would be bad).

Last edited:
Holy hell this thread took a turn. Thanks to everyone who actually had something productive to say on the topic.
Which is why I have about 200 posts (most are DMs anyhow) yet I've been on this site for over 13 years.

A larger part of the reason it became popular in archery is to reduce shot noise/vibration, basically the next level after string silencers. Then marketing hype took over and they started putting it everywhere and anywhere. Beyond that since most bows now days you shoot gripping the metal riser there's a lot of vibration that people preferred not to feel. Zero performance benefit from an accuracy standpoint, but it was a more enjoyable shooting experience. Also fiber optic sights that are common on bows the fibers tend to be fragile, cracking/breaking is pretty common over time, and there's probably some reduction in that issue with bows with more vibration dampening.

The real marketing genius in rifles recently was the adjustable chassis weight systems. Getting people to spend hundreds of dollars for machined mild steel plates.

Reactions: CShooter92