• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing rubber molding?

marduk185

take my karma boom
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2009
tantric thrust
maybe this has been covered before here somewhere but i cant find it...is there someplace a guy can get a 2 part mix of liquid rubber to pour into a mold to make custom rubber parts like buffers or grips? if anyone knows of a economical and simple way to do this please advise? also if same stuff can be had for a harder plastic thatd be helpful too.

Re: rubber molding?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe this has been covered before here somewhere but i cant find it...is there someplace a guy can get a 2 part mix of liquid rubber to pour into a mold to make custom rubber parts like buffers or grips? if anyone knows of a economical and simple way to do this please advise? also if same stuff can be had for a harder plastic thatd be helpful too. </div></div>

I would think it would be easier to find rubber you can heat up to a liquid state and pour. Same with the hard plastic. I would bet its something you could get to melt using something as simple as a plug in single burner.

bet one could melt down any nonsense plastic crap your wife has around the house and pour into a mold, i've got shit tons of kiddie toys i can supply

well i dont think one can safely melt rubber in the home setting, was going for something 2 part mix and wait to set. ive been googling the subject with many confusing results as many of these kits are for making the molds themselves not for end product material near as i can tell. thought maybe there might be a hobby lobby or westlake tool store product...will research some more in the meantime keep the replies comin gents. thanks.

Look for casting resins. BJB Enterprise has quite a range of polyurethane casting resins both hard and soft.

someone had a grip on a rifle that was heat molded to the hand. you might want to start with clay to model and then cast that and use it as a mold for the liquid rubber

the wife picked up a "make your own dildo" kit once from priscilla's, kit came with the mixture you poured in a tube and then inserted thy junk, that dried fast, then mixed the two part rubber mix and poured in the mold. Go pick ya up one of those

what's the project by the way? adding a dick to the side of your SKS? or two titties to be used as bipods?

secret squirrel project jayjay, you know id have to kill ya yada yada... anyhoo the dildo kit thing sounds disturbing but id like to know where the makers of the kit get their materials. is it a durable black rubber jayjay? lmao

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the wife picked up a "make your own dildo" kit once from priscilla's, kit came with the mixture you poured in a tube and then inserted thy junk, that dried fast, then mixed the two part rubber mix and poured in the mold. Go pick ya up one of those

what's the project by the way? adding a dick to the side of your SKS? or two titties to be used as bipods?</div></div>

he's making a dick shaped bayonet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Retoocs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you try contacting BJB http://www.bjbenterprises.com/ and ask for a sample? They have everything you need even if you are making a dildo. </div></div>
will do if i get my pooter back fixed

Marduk,

There is also the latex kits that you can obtain from film and production supply houses. They are a two-part mix with a very small percentage being the catalyst. You'd need both a scale for measuring that (powder scale) as well as a vacuum pump for degassing the mix before you use it. And you want to degass, otherwise it could turn out saturated with bubbles, like an aero bar.

As for the Castaldo products, they are mixed 50/50, and don't "need" to be degassed. But they most definitely work better when they are subjected to a vacuum chamber. The ones I've worked with, anyways.

Latex starts out "flesh" pink, and are tintable. The Castaldo I've used is clear. If that matters, also.

Back on track?

--forgot to add, the latex we've used here, is the "smooth-on". We bought that from a movie-supply house.

Forgot to remember to add, that we also are looking for something more along the "silicone" type of flexible casting material. Seeing as neither of us are "plasticists", we are learning the hard way too.

Now if someone has a suggestion along that/those lines for prototyping, that would be great.

All we've come across are factories willing to produce containerloads, as well as 'design engineers' who'll do it all for us. Just tell them what our design prototype is.

Uh, no.

yeah i was shootin for a black rubber like hogue uses or maybe multiple colored hard plastics like what is used in choate stocks. id like whatever it is to be doable in the house or garage and not require heat or vacuuming if at all possible...im still checkin out all the great suggestions on here. ill try to post an update if i settle on anything or can post results. thanks again

You won't be able to get away from pressure curing. Anytime you have a two part resin that is mixed together will off gas. Now way around it. You will have to cure under pressure. This can be done in your garage. You will need to get a pressure pot from Harbor Freight and have an air compressor. You can also use the pressure pot to degass if you have a vacuum pump.

BJB does have casting resins that can be used for rubber grips. They also have resins that are rigid. I used to work for a company that made a lot of products using their casting resins. Even did a project with the Navy SEALS for their portable underwater sonar unit.

Google up mold making. A lot will come up. Most of these are 2 part and some with a hardener. work time depends on what type you choose to use. At first it's trial and error with the amount and mixing but it is really easy after doing it a couple of times. Send for the free material info pack and some have cd's with them. You can buy small amounts or large. Check them out it's free. MM