• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rucks, packing lists, and reviews.

bourbonbent

Redhead tamer
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
Ozarks
I figured we could use a thread where everyone can share their setups, to help out the newer folks or those who don’t have a lot of time under a ruck. Also, because who here doesn’t like talking about their gear? That’s part of why we’re all here right?

I’d like to see folks share pics of their setups, descriptions, personal packing lists, etc., hell even full blown reviews on what you have and what you do and don’t like about it.

I’ll kick it off with a short bit, to keep this from turning into a novel.

I’ve used the big green tick for most of my life. When I was about 8, a friend of the family gave me a Medium ALICE, and I used it for years. Then, in the army, I used the nightmarish murder contraption they called a MOLLE ruck.

I’ve lusted after a Kifaru for years, using a Large ALICE on a frame and Tactical Tailor belt and straps. Well, after the last trip hauling steel a few miles up ozark grades to a pasture, the frame finally started to buckle and it made me bleed, and...

2A74137B-C334-46DD-A8E9-651155A017E9.gif

So, I bit the bullet and finally bought a Kifaru Reckoning and a 24” Duplex Tactical frame.

Holy shit. My knees and back hate me for not making the switch 10 years ago. So much better.

Here’s some pics, all stuffed full of shit for a backcountry fishing/photography trip.

84AED107-F31B-4094-A695-6822FBB2EE26.jpeg

0B9ED261-BBF3-4497-9945-45E93361951D.jpeg

9B3A9168-C7B2-49A4-8036-98124F73C6D7.jpeg

Now, I just threw on some pockets I’ve had for years, and still plan on getting a Guide Lid and some Kifaru pockets, but this’ll do for now.

Reactions: 96C
Best ruck layout as far as a 3 day or less is the RAID II, hands down. The only downside is the lack of a real pack frame and yoke.

If someone could figure out how to get a MOLLE II frame or pack straps onto it, it would be the greatest no bullshit assault pack ever built.

Reactions: bourbonbent
Best ruck layout as far as a 3 day or less is the RAID II, hands down. The only downside is the lack of a real pack frame and yoke.

If someone could figure out how to get a MOLLE II frame or pack straps onto it, it would be the greatest no bullshit assault pack ever built.

I always meant to get a RAID but never got around to it. I remember the old LF RAID thread, always made me jelly seeing them. I’m a pack whore, and won’t deny it.

Have you messed around with the Hill People Gear stuff? I have a Tarahumara, and that shoulder harness is the best thing I’ve ever felt for a pack that rides shoulders. Brother has the Umlindi, same feelings about that one.

If I ever could've gotten a Kifaru ZULU to sit on an actual frame that would've been my perfect pack. Just couldn't use the hip belt.

Reactions: bourbonbent
I've been using an Eberlestock Halftrack pack for the last year. I recently got a Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 for overnight trips but the Half Track is very much a day to day shooting pack. It's big enough for most things while being too small for any kind of mixed activities, basically a tall but slim, practical day pack for tripods / spotters etc. Fairly comfortable, built like a tank. Lots of good features, especially the front zip opening, allowing full access to the contents without ripping everything out. I'd give it 4/5 for practicality.

Basic pack contents for a day of shooting:

- Bushnell Tactical 15-45x spotter with Triad Tactical cover
- SORD / Low Vis Gear - Enhanced Shooting Mat
- Quad folding builders plastic ruler
- Low Vis Gear - Mountain Rifle Cover if the weather is average
- Mission Critical Designs - Precision Rifle Shooting Tripod with ball head and Really Right Stuff SC-LR picatinny / arca clamp
- SORD / Low Vis Gear - 40 Round Ammo Wallets x 2 for 80 rounds total.
- Armageddon Gear / Low Vis Gear Spec - Pint Sized Game Changer
- Low Vis Gear - MK3 Can Bag rear bag OR Low Vis Gear MK6 X-Ray rear bag with QD strap
- Basic tool kit for AI / NF / pull through / lens pen
- Admin stuff: batteries, toilet paper / hand santiser / ear plugs / small sunscreen tube / pocket knife / 550 cord / elec tape / panadol etc.
- Small data book with notepad / writing mostly for taking down results, not referencing
- Peltors
- Hydrapak 750ml soft water bottles x 2 + some snacks

All up, no more than 10-12kg I'd say, comfortable.

Hill People Gear - Recon Chest Rig (can see in picture below), it's a very slim line chest pack that works well under a pack. You can lay down while wearing it and use it with bigger field packs that have waist straps. Simply slip it off and put it in front of you (or just leave it on) and you have everything you need under your chin to find, measure and shoot without digging into the bag.

- Kestrel 5700AB Link
- Sig Kilo 2200MR LRF
- 2 x 10rd AW mags
- Tooth brush
- 1 spare battery each for above
- Lens wipe
- Data card
- Tiny wind checker bottle

I'll get some pics, later on. There are things I often don't take from the above list but most of the above is used fairly often so stays in the pack. Some other gear fluctuates in and out like Vortex LRF bino's, Precision Rifle Solutions Universal Optics Plate to get them on the tripod, Leatherman, more comprehensive cleaning kit, UHF hand held, GPSMAP60 etc.

A few weeks ago, a mate and I both picked up a UR-Tactical Advanced Mission Pack each (Photo below), it wasn't overly cheap but is surprisingly well made and has a lot of practical features. The rigid internal frame sheet makes it very comfortable with awkwardly shaped items, overall it's a nice day pack. Probably the perfect size to keep things under control, forces you to pick what you need, not bring everything. When using it, have to strip out some of the above gear but it handles everything exceptionally well with side lashing areas for the tripod and small medical kit.
A20030BE-371F-4CE6-841A-1D4D79C1F868.jpeg

Last edited: