• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rucksack contents

TheTick

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2010
Metro Philadelphia, PA
Hello, I am new to the forum and have recently been assigned to the sniper element of my SWAT team. I had little flexibility in my firearm choice (but my team does get us tremendous rifles), but the rucksack and its contents are up to me.

So... I just received my 5.11 Rush 24 and need to fill it for my typical type assignment. Being squared away for a 6 hour MAX would more than fit the bill. What do you guys have in your packs for a similar type assignment?

Thanks in advance,

The new guy

Re: Rucksack contents

Welcome aboard Tick!! There alot of great people on here. We will be able to help you out with what you need.

Drop me a line if you need anything or any help.

PM inbound!!

Stay Safe Tony

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, I am new to the forum and have recently been assigned to the sniper element of my SWAT team. I had little flexibility in my firearm choice (but my team does get us tremendous rifles), but the rucksack and its contents are up to me.

So... I just received my 5.11 Rush 24 and need to fill it for my typical type assignment. Being squared away for a 6 hour MAX would more than fit the bill. What do you guys have in your packs for a similar type assignment?

Thanks in advance,

The new guy </div></div>
Great to have your here! Welcome aboard.

I am not in law enforcement but have helped equip quite a few guys in units similiar to yours. Some things commonly listed by these professionals are:

--first aid kit(s);
--foul weather gear;
--spare batteries, etc;
--hydration;

I'll defer to real world operators from here. They'll know more specifics from what I have above.

Take care & stay safe.

I would suggest:

Ammo
Logbook
Kestrel
Mildot, or New Dens. Alt. Tool
Clothing (wet, winter)
First Aid
Pen / Paper
snacks
sunscreen
bug spray
batteries (for all supported gear)
Water and more water
Tape
550 cord

I would add binos, some type of camo net/veil, and a lightweight mat to keep you off the ground. TAB makes a good one.

Wayne

Other than the listed obvious items, pay attention to the clothing aspect. When I was on the rifle, it was 50/50 on whether or not I was inside or outside. Fortunately, I learned my lesson in training and always had the proper wet weather and cold gear in my pack thereafter. Once you are wet or even worse, cold and wet--you are done.

TheTick

Just recently hung it up after seven years LEO sniping and four years Marines. Huge differences between the two. For LEO I have a list of things I used all the time and crap I carried just in case but got used little. LEO stuff allows for that where the other doesn't. I will never call myself an expert but would be happy to pass along what I've learned. PM me if interested and I'll pass it along. Good luck with your new assignment SWAT will never be the same after this one.

In my ruck:

550 chord
veil
rain pants & Jacket
binos
protein bar
water
ammo
rear rest
data book
small tools, screw driver, plyers, multi tool
bugspray
tripod

Goodluck and you will change your ruck about 100 times until you get it set up the way you like it. I also have attachments on my ruck so I can unclip somethings I know I wont need for a job.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheTick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being squared away for a 6 hour MAX would more than fit the bill. </div></div>

Be very careful with your time estimates.

I don't know how large your team is. Ours is 21 men and four of us are Snipers. There is a very good chance in some callouts that I could be in place for a lot longer than six hours. Some of our barricades have gone longer than this. While it's easy to rotate entry team members (we are all trained on entries) only a few of us can run the long guns. So if they rotate us, they loose that capability.

What is in my ruck is weather dependent. I overpack like crazy. The longest hump I will ever have to make would be less than a mile. I don't have to worry about long range patrols anymore.

I carry most of the same stuff as above. Noted differences are:

Laser Rangefinder (long shots are rare, but academically I like to know my exact range to target)
Folding seat
Tripod (together with the folding seat it works great for abandoned buildings)
Goretex top and bottom
bug juice
sunscreen
shemag
boonie
kestrel
write in rain notebook
chemlights
hydration bladder and several bottles of water (empty water bottles are great for taking a piss when you are somewhere you can't just whip it out)
camo facepaint
550 cord
riggers tape
Israeli bandage.
Ziplock bags
Electronic ear pro
Cliff Bars and Powerbars

I am sure there is more, but I just can't think of it right now. I cram it all into an Eagle III-A MOLLE ruck. I strap the tripod to the side and a shooting mat to the bottom. I have not been on a callout yet where I was not prepared to stay for at least a day.

The big thing is realistic training with your team in YOUR AO. Every time we go out I see ways I can tweak my setup and I make notes about it.

Shouldn't part of the prerequisite to going to a swat team be to halfway knowing what goes in your bag?

Another beautiful thing to consider............ask your teammates.

I've got a bud on a jersey swat team. It's downright embarrassing the stories he tells about the guys he's with.

Lonewolf, where did you get a seat you can fit into the Eagle III-A?

The local Army Surplus had a folding wire camp stool. It folds flat and slides in the back and actually ends up working like an internal frame.

I have seen these things all over. I have yet to see a Marine Infantry Officer without one. I think they issued them in OCS or something.

Here is the exact one I have, but I know nothing about this retailer:

4575_big.jpg

http://www.sentrytactical.com/woodland-camouflage-folding-camp-stool.aspx

most of the stuff above plus:

visine
freshens the peepers on long "observations"

a half dozen of those hunting heat packs are good to tuck away and forget about - until you get the chill.

an extra set of adult diapers - it sucks to have to "go" but knowing that you have to stay

if you wear glasses - a spare set of prescription safety type glasses

different length bipod than what's on the stick - just in case

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">an extra set of adult diapers - it sucks to have to "go" but knowing that you have to stay
</div></div>

I have been in urban and bush hides for a long time.

I have never been in a situation where I needed to don a diaper so I could shit myself.

Savvy the zip-lock bag and Gatorade bottle.

If you are in a vehicle hide your buddies will hate you when you bust out the ziplock. On day three the collection of Gatorade bottles can be impressive. Never piss in a zip-lock bag. It doesn't matter how careful you are. They will leak.

the vessel is made of being but it is the nonbeing emptiness that is useful. lighter for the carrying a ruck devoid of unnecessary items is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the vessel is made of being but it is the nonbeing emptiness that is useful. lighter for the carrying a ruck devoid of unnecessary items is. </div></div>

Say again all after "the", over...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Priest</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the vessel is made of being but it is the nonbeing emptiness that is useful. lighter for the carrying a ruck devoid of unnecessary items is. </div></div>

Say again all after "the", over... </div></div>

I think he said "don't carry useless shit"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Priest</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the vessel is made of being but it is the nonbeing emptiness that is useful. lighter for the carrying a ruck devoid of unnecessary items is. </div></div>

Say again all after "the", over... </div></div>

I think he said "don't carry useless shit" </div></div>

yeah sorry fellas was feeling a bit lao tsu meets yoda for a second, then i slapped myself and said snap out of it fartknocker!