• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger #1

Re: Ruger #1

Whatever you want. Big advantage of a single shot is a long barrel to burn lotsa powder while keeping the OAL short due to the lack of bolt and magazine.
A well built and tuned #1 will shoot with a bolt gun. Something like a 7mmSTW, 300 Weatherby, any of the RUMs, 30-378 Weatherby would be a long range smacker albeit with a shoter barrel life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bentley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone here build on a Ruger #1??

Ideas? Cartridge?</div></div> Only drawback to a Ruger #1 is the workability of putting a different barrel onto the action. Hard to find a gunsmith that will put a custom barrel on one. Absolutely love them, don't get me wrong. I own two of them one a 22-250 and one 220 Swift. The latter I have shot since high school. Many pdog and yote have met there demise with it. The 250 I got on trade and only made sure it fired. Its a safe queen.

I had one in 7mmRM and always wanted to punch to STW!!

Buddy of mine has one in 25-06AI....has a Pac-nor SS on it and had our local smith drill and tap for a 1913 rail and he is printing F'ing great.....pm me if you want and I will get his cell # and maybe he can help you out.

He also had a TC 221 Fireball last time we shot and he had a problem with the headspacing on both the TC and the #1....unlike the 700 that hits the primer and stays there untill you cycle the bolt those 2 single shots hit the primer then ran away....leaving his firing pin hole crater on the spent primer.....strange to understand unless you see it but make sure whoever headspaces it does it correctly or tell them you will bring it back on the gunsmith's dime. If you can make sure what bullet you want and order or make sure the smith has the right reamer for your bullet.....my 7mmRM was way too long to cycle in any repeater.....about 40 thou...but it fit in the factory Ruger barrel.....if you go custom they can really be great.....look through Brownells and see what they have....also google brings alot of shit.

Hope this helps some.

I loved my 7mmRM though 26" and still shorter than a 24" M700!!!

Rather than buy a new one, find an old one with the big stock & forend. They frequently have great wood and IME are somewhat better fitted & finished than current production.