• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 accuracy issue

ToddKS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Wichita, KS
I have a Ruger 10/22 factory action and target barrel which is currently in a Bell and Carlson stock with a Volquartsen trigger group. Action is bedded.

This rifle has always been very accurate, but recently something has changed. Rifle will still print 1/2" groups at 50 yds, but at 100 yds groups are 4-6". At first I thought I had a broken scope, but I switched scopes and the problem continues.

Ammo is Fed 810 or CCI Mini Mag. Both have always performed well in the past. Previously rifle would group about 1 MOA with either ammo at 100 yds.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I am to the point of considering a new barrel.

Thanks,

Todd

Re: Ruger 10/22 accuracy issue

I'm at a loss. 1 MOA at 50 and 4 at 100? Somethings off. Tripple check all your bolts and scope. Clean the barrel. Try different ammo. All I can think of.

Dave

Clean barrel, include some soaks with Shooters Choice Lead Remover solvent (UPI = Use Per Instructions). Concentrate on the forward area of the chamber.

Verify crown is undamaged.

Ammo would be my most significant suspect, it varies with lots. You may have a lot that's less compatible with your setup.

Greg

Ammo is definitely on my list of possibilities. I picked up a box of Wolf Match Extra to see if that will make any difference.

I have also been giving the barrel a serious bath. I removed the barrel from the receiver so I could clean from the breach.

The crown does not have any obvious damage, but it also does not have a 90 degree intersection where the muzzle meets the bore. There is a 45 degree chamfer there, but it seems even so I am guessing this was done at the factory.

If the accuracy had diminished at 50yds this would be a lot easier to understand.

This might sound dumb but could it be where you're shooting? One of the local ranges is great at 50 yards, a tall berm on one side that buffers the wind but it also channels it if you shoot out to 100 yards. In the same afternoon 50 yard shooting will be consistent where 100 yards will be all over the place with a slight breeze.

Not a dumb thought at all. We do get some wind here in KS.

I have, however, shot this rifle at 2 different ranges with the same result and both days were as near to dead calm as we ever see around here.

Well, if you are shooting HV rounds, then it could be the bullet becoming unstable once it goes subsonic. Most HV rounds will still be faster than the speed of sound at 50, but by 100 they have gone south of that speed of sound barrier and gone through the shock wave. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, if you are shooting HV rounds, then it could be the bullet becoming unstable once it goes subsonic. Most HV rounds will still be faster than the speed of sound at 50, but by 100 they have gone south of that speed of sound barrier and gone through the shock wave. Just a thought. </div></div>

+1

I had read about the sonic vs. sub sonic issue previously. The only subsonic ammo I could find to try was Remington. That ammo produced the worst results of anything I tried. Group size was at least 8" with the flyers.

Is there a preferred brand of sub sonic ammo out there?

I prefer CCI Standard Velocity Target, which comes in a dark blue box. It shoots indistinguishable from FGMM in my rifles. I try to buy several bricks of it at a time.

Shotgun ammo and .22 ammo are the only types I buy in bulk, mainly because I don't have a means to make up my own.

I prefer to handload my C/F rifle ammo, and to only make up batches sufficient for specific upcoming needs. IMHO, the components store better separately than they might as completed cartridges.

Greg

Match ammo is subsonic. Try the Wolf Match Target. If you are lucky the rifle will like it. Other options are Eley, Federal Gold Medal Match and Ultra Match, RWS R50, etc... another option to save some cash is to buy the Eley Target Rifle (orange box available at Cabelas) and a rim gauge.

If you are shooting match ammo, you should also probably buy a new spring. The "white" spring for suppressed .22 LR from Tony Kidd (www.coolguyguns.com) is perfect. Otherwise you may get an occassional stovepipe as the lighter recoil isn't strong enough to allow the bolt full rearward travel.

I don't know. If you were shooting consistent MOA groups at 100 with any high velocity rounds, that lot of ammo must have been a fluke. HV ammo shoots like crap past about 75 yards where it goes sub sonic.

For popping stuff past 75 yards, I stick with subsonic. You'd be surprised at how little sub sonic gives up to HV at 100 yards. My "bulk" ammo is CCI Standard Velocity in the paper boxes. At $26 a brick, it's the best bang for the buck that I've found without sacrificing too much accuracy. It shoots well in all of my accuracy oriented .22s, which include a 40X bench gun, a Savage TR and an all Kidd 10/22. I can hit a shotgun shell 8 or 9 times out of ten at 100 with this ammo.