• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10-22 Custom Chassis Build

Dragoon300

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2018
Six months ago I decided to design and build a custom chassis and make some accuracy improvements on my 1967 Ruger 10-22 that I have had since it was new. I drew it up in 3D CAD and added items as I aquired them. Starting with 6061T6 aluminum billet and bar stock and my old Ruger receiver I made a rear tang mount with a cleaning hole and attached it to the receiver. Then I machined the mounting surfaces and bottom of the receiver flat and parallel to the bore. I added a "0" moa picatinny rail secured with Devcon titainium epoxy and (6) 8-32 flathead cap screws, machined and mounted parallel to the bore. I had previously installed (4) set screws (2 pairs) 45 degrees off center at 10 and 2 o'clock through the barrel bore of the receiver to keep the original barrel from drooping. I decided to use them with the new Ruger hammer forged bull barrel, and added an integrally machined and bored barrel block to clamp two inches of turned barrel one inch ahead of the barrel retaining clamp in the chassis. For easy transport I made it a side folding stock incorporating an adjustable bag rider with rapid and fine adjustments utilizing a Desert Tech SRS monopod assembly in-between two linear ball bearing guide rods. I added flush cups in both sides in the rear ahead of the hinge. For grins, I put an FN M240 butt plate on it with it's shoulder support, that I had on hand. I really like the way it works too when moving between targets! On the other end I built a coaxial bipod mount using Evolution bipod legs and rotating components on a custom designed center section of aluminum on a titainium pivot tube. I threaded the barrel and installed an AAC flash hider /
20220710_093831.jpg
20220710_093444.jpg
20220710_093800.jpg
20220702_180511.jpg
suppressor mount on the muzzle. I headspaced and cross pinned the original bolt and firing pin, and installed a Kidd cocking handle, springs, mag release and trigger group. I added 4" picatinny rails with flush cups on the forward sides and bottom of the chassis, and an arca rail under the forearm.
On top is a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 x 56 on a Spuhr 13 mil inclined mount with a Knights Armament level under the eye piece. So far it is actually shooting quite well. It seems to like SK Long Range Match and Lapua Center X. Last weekend I shot groups at 100 and 200 yards, the weekend before I shot at 25 and 50 yards. I am happy with how it is going so far, and thought I would share the project with you.

Looks very well executed. Can you access the cleaning hole when it’s folded?
I wanted to be able to do that, however you have to remove the bolt to clean it too and that added a whole new level of complexity. So no, have to remove it from the chassis.

Reactions: 357Max
Very cool, someone with mechanical ability to do something like this amazes me, kinda like my daughter who paints as a hobby, she sees something in her head and makes it appear on canvas. How much does it weigh and I assume you could use any grip on it? Thanks for sharing.

Very cool, someone with mechanical ability to do something like this amazes me, kinda like my daughter who paints as a hobby, she sees something in her head and makes it appear on canvas. How much does it weigh and I assume you could use any grip on it? Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your kind words, It is a bit heavy for a 22 at 19 lbs complete, but I didn't really try very hard to lighten it up either. If I decide to I can remove weight in quite a few places though. The grip is an M249 part, but could be pretty much anything.
It sounds like your Daughter has a real gift in painting, that's a blessing!
Thanks for your questions!

Reactions: Keeper22
More importantly, how does it shoot?
So far I have found my best to date groups with Lapua CX and SK long range match. Both shoot .125 to .187 groups at 25 yards, and .250 to .375 at 50 yards. I have only tried SKLRM at 100 yards and got a .625 wide x 1.625 high rectangular group, and .750 wide X 4.00 high group at 200 yards (4 rds in 2.00, 1 rd dropped down to make it 4.00)
I have not tried Lapua CX at those yardages yet. Next time I will run my rail mounted Magnetospeed to check velocities along with POI.

Wow sweet rig. Nice use of your talent!

Brad
It was fun to design and build, especially around the 1022 my Dad bought for me many years ago. Thanks for your kind words!
Happy New Year!