• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 Drooping Barrel

TheShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I just purchased and built up a 10/22. I have a Tactical Solutions barrel with a Nordic chassis system. The barrel appears to be pointing low. Not surprisingly, the rifle shoots low, approximately 8" low at 50 yards with max elevation on the scope.

I was thinking of picking up one of the Tactical Solutions v-blocks. Does anyone have experience with these? Are there any other solutions that someone could recommend?

I am sure the readers of this post will understand my frustration with not being able to sight in the rifle.

Re: Ruger 10/22 Drooping Barrel

I have one of the TS V-Blocks. It's a little beefier than the standard V-Block. There was no difference in point of impact before and after. I never suspected my barrel was drooping to start with; it was inexpensive, easy to install and thought it might help support my heavier "bull" barrel in the long run.

Call Ruger and see if they will repair it . If its obvious that its pointing downward then it is quite possible that the receiver was milled incorrectly . I don't know their process for milling the receiver but it has gotten worse over the years and this problem is cropping up more and more .

their is an adj v bock for this type issue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rez187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">their is an adj v bock for this type issue </div></div>

Adjustable? Not that I'm aware of, there's not really any tolerances for adjustability. Seems the main function of the V-Block is to hold the barrel firm to the reciever. Midway's schematic of spare parts calls the "V-Block" a "barrel retainer". The barrel should insert snugly enough into the receiver such that the barrel shouldn't droop, so the V-Block supporting the barrel from drooping would be a secondary function at best. JMO

Is the barrel completely free floated?

With just the one take down screw, if the action is bedded without having done the first couple of inches of barrel too, just the weight of the barrel is enough to cause droop. One fix for this is to bed the first couple inches of the barrel; This'll give the necessary support for the barrel.

Another possible fix is to add some sort of barrel support in the channel an inch or so back from the muzzle end of the stock. Just something to help hold the barrel up. OEM Ruger stocks have a small raised wood block or step in the channel for this. I've used a small section of an old inner tube as that support before.

There is also the option of the adjustable V-block, but that's been mentioned already.

Out of curiosity, have you pulled the barrel from the action? It may be something as simple as the barrel not being set completely, or that the current v-block is loose.

Michael N...Ruger won't fix anything ...all the parts have been changed.. Koyodiak... Yes the barrel should fit snugly into the receiver, thats the problem... after market barrel and a different stock... Situation N..Yes what you said could fix the problem,you will give up a free floated barrel, may not matter. Over the 40 odd years that this rifle has been in production and all of the after market stuff for them,the tolerences have been all over the place. The adjustable V-block will fix this for about 20$. I had to pound my Kidd barrel in. The Gunsmither V-block, above, is made of steel, not sure of the others..also Kidd recomends only 10 inch lbs of torque on the V-block,Loose barrel to receiver fit plus over torqued v-block= droop. Its a crappy system...if you really want to fix it have the barrel threaded.. http://www.ct-precision.com/ Just my Opinion..

Just tagging on... many 10/22(s) don't like to have barrels completely freefloated.

Please note, I said "may not matter" I have some of each...

^^ Duly noted... the deal is that many people here and on RFC free-float their barrels on a 10/22 and in some cases it is actually a detriment to accuracy. Sometimes the barrel likes to be supported towards the muzzle end and the inner-tube mentioned above works great. You may need to play with the distance from the end of the stock a little bit though to find the sweet spot, kinda like using a tuner.

Having built several 10/22's with the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit I kind of know what you are talking about. I have used the Tactical Solutions V Block on 3 of them. One thing to note with the Tactical Solutions V Block with the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit is that once the V Block is installed properly to help put upward pressure on the barrel (they are milled off center to achomplish this) the bottom of the Tactical Solutions V Block will protrude below the bottom of the receiver. Unless the bottom of the Tactical Solutions V Block is milled off flush with the bottom of the receiver the Tactical Solutions V Block will actually hold the bottom of the receiver (at the front of the receiver) off of the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis.

I have had to do this on all 3 of the ones in which I used the Tactical Solutions V Block.

Another problem per KIDD Innovative Products is people tighten the V Block attaching screws TOO TIGHT. KIDD recommends 10 - 15 In Lbs of torque. The way I understand it if these screws are torqued too tight it will actually pull the barrel downward.

Lastly it is virtually impossible to have a pressure point exerting upward pressure on the barrel with the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit. Yes Ruger tried to do this on their SR-22 but considering the way the Free Float Tube is fastened to the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit there is and can be flex in this attachment point so the pressure on the barrel is not consistant.

BullBarrelNordic10-22.jpg

As a side note I have had to shim the rear scope ring (or you can use the Burris Signature ZEE Rings with the off set inserts) on 3 of the ones I have built, even though the barrel seems centered in the free float tube.

Larry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased and built up a 10/22. I have a Tactical Solutions barrel with a Nordic chassis system. The barrel appears to be pointing low. Not surprisingly, the rifle shoots low, approximately 8" low at 50 yards with max elevation on the scope.

I was thinking of picking up one of the Tactical Solutions v-blocks. Does anyone have experience with these? Are there any other solutions that someone could recommend?

I am sure the readers of this post will understand my frustration with not being able to sight in the rifle. </div></div>
Adjustable V-Block type devices that push-up on the barrel are band-aides, plain and simple. The best way to eliminate <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">barrel droop</span></span> is to thread the barrel into the receiver. And the best receivers' have a secondary lug at the back of the receiver so that the action can be properly and solidly mounted into the stock. This is also the only way that the action can be secured to allow the barrel to free-float (if desired).

Over the years I've written about barrel droop and modifications that can be done to improve the accuracy, reliability, and consistency of the 10/22 dozens of times, including several threads and posts here on the Hide'. The best modifications and parts cost more, but IMHO they're worth it in the long run. If you care to read more of what I've written do an <span style="font-style: italic">Advanced Search</span> for my posts with <span style="font-style: italic">"10/22"</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">"free-float"</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">"MOA Corporation"</span>, <span style="font-style: italic">"CPC"</span>, and <span style="font-style: italic">"V-Block"</span>.

I have a full custom <span style="font-style: italic">10/22 clone</span> that is ridicolously accurate and consistent. <span style="font-style: italic">Under calm conditions, when wind is not a problem</span> it can and has shot sub-MOA to 300 yards. The rifle is built from 100% aftermarket parts, has a threaded receiver-barrel connection, and sits in a McMillan 10/22 Sporter stock. Parts specifications as well as a photo of a "normal"/average group is shown below. The group is 10 shots fired at 100 yards in about 75 seconds using Winchester Super-X 40 gr. I fired the first five slow and the group was considerably smaller, but the wind began to pick up so I fired the last five semi rapid-fire trying to beat the wind. Scope used was a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm on top of a Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Base.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">100 Yard 10-shot group fired slow/fast with Winchester Super-X 40 gr.:</span></span>
MOA1022100YardGroup8x6.jpg

MOA1022100YardGroupCU8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">And my full-custom, MOA Receiver 10/22 clone as configured when I fired the group above:</span></span>
MOACustom102258x6.jpg

MOACustom102238x6.jpg

MOACustom102228x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">75% Black/25% Dark Gray Swirl McMillan Sporter</span> - inletted for the MOA Receiver's rear lug by Randy at <span style="font-weight: bold">CPC</span> (Connecticut Precision Chambering). Randy installed a brass escutcheon for the rear lug screw, but I still had to do some additional inletting to fit because the front and rear lug holes did not line up. This held true for both the Kidd Trigger and an older factory (cast aluminum housing) Ruger trigger assembly. I also I enlarged the barrel channel to 1" to allow true free-floating of the barrel.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA 17-4 SS Receiver</span> - Bead-blasted finish, hand-stoned and polished bearing surfaces

<span style="font-weight: bold">Volquartsen CNC Machined Bolt</span> - fitted with Volquartsen CS Guide Rod Spring and <span style="font-weight: bold">Power Custom Competition Spring Guide</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd SS 20" Match Barrel</span> - Bead-blasted finish, shortened to 19.25" and threaded into MOA Receiver. Totally free-floating

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd Two-Stage Trigger - set to 1.5 lbs. Curved Black Blade</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd SS Receiver Pins</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kidd Bolt Buffer</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tactical Solutions 15 MOA Picatinny Rail</span>

<a href="http://www.usoptics.com/accD.php?recordID=BBL-350" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"><span style="font-weight: bold">U.S. Optics Rail Mounted Swivel Bubble Level - Contoured
</span></a>
<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X 40mm A.O. w/Duplex Reticle - Matte</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold 1" LOW (.75") PRW Rings - Matte</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Harris BRM-S</span> bipod with

<span style="font-weight: bold">KMW Pod-Loc</span>

Keith

I purchased the block and did not really help at all. I had a tac sol barrel on a hogue stock and just changed the stock to a wooden stock. What I did was used a rubber pad that is used on furniture like the legs and bought my self a wheeler torque wrench. I than would tighten the screw and fire 3 shot groups until I got the group I wanted. I started at 15 inch pounds and my ruger shoots best at 17 and 18 inch pounds depending on ammo and distance used.

BTW the pad worked best about 3 inches from the distal end of the fore arm.

I had good success with my 10/22 by shimming the first inch or so of the barrel forward of the vblock with flat rubber washers. brought the poi up a bit, tightened groups up nicely as well. If you are into cheap, easy solutions, give it a shot.

Informative post Aries64. Very nice set up too (love the McMillan stock). I've been wanting build up a 10/22 style rifle and your build is exactly what I would like to do.