• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 Extraction Problem

rg1911

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Laramie, Wyoming
My 10/22 has, for reasons I don't understand, fairly recently started having extraction problems. (It worked fine for hundreds of rounds of the Lapua Midas + ammo it likes.) This is particularly annoying in the middle of a timed-stage match, such as NRL22.

It has a Kidd barrel and normally is used with a suppressor.

I have tried three or four extractors and springs, including a Volquartsen unit; the latest being a Tactical Solutions X-Ring Extractor Kit.

With a fired case inserted in a perfectly clean chamber, the extractor will not pull out the case. The extractor and spring are moving freely with no indications of binding. The bolt and recoil spring guide have been smoothed and show no indications of binding.

If I fit the fired case into the bolt, the extractor claw appears to grab very well.

Magazines are Ruger 10-round magazines. Ammo is Lapua Midas +.

A Google search just found a lot of failure-to-eject problems/solutions; not failure to extract.

Has anyone had this problem and discovered a solution?

Thank you,
Richard

So, I had a similar issue with my KIDD today. Load 10 rounds on a 9 round stage. Toward the end of the match that 10th round would not always eject when I manually opened the bolt. I chalked it up to a dirty chamber, but I haven’t had a chance to test it since I snaked the bore. I haven’t chambered either empties or loaded rounds to see if they will manually extract since the cleaning. What I did find is that I was unable to flick out the chambered 10th round with my fingernail during the match.

Similar problem previously, 1. Clean chamber, 2. Clean chamber, I also polished my chamber with never dull and have not had the problem since.Sometimes shooting suppressed gets things dirty....