• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 needs to perform better

GUNENTHUSIAST

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
SE PA
Hi guys,

I have a ruger 10/22 with KIDD trigger group, tactical solutions fluted and threaded barrel, and tactical solutions wood stock. I am shooting with a suppressor also. I am still using a cheepo bushnell scope if that makes a difference. With all this invested I'm still only getting 2 inch groups at 50 yards. I have tried all kinds if remington, Winchester, cci, and one kind of wolf and the results all seem about the same. I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I would like to be getting 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. Not sure if that's possible from a 10/22. should i just get a more accurate rifle?

Thanks!

Based on what I have read, 1/2 inch groups at 50 yardsit can be done - but seems to be dependent on the barrel and ammo. From the Kidd website (Frequently Asked Questions) "Yes, we guarantee all of our barrels will group a half an inch at fifty yards."

Try a good, proven scope. 2 inch groups at 50 yards isn't good even for a stock 10/22.

The barrel was brand new before the wolf, but I didn't clean it between shooting each brand. The barrel is free floated. Any idea where to find any good ammo? Seems everywhere is sold out.

The barrel was brand new before the wolf, but I didn't clean it between shooting each brand. The barrel is free floated. Any idea where to find any good ammo? Seems everywhere is sold out.

Try champions choice. I bought a case of Wolf MT from them. It was on back order for about a month, but I did get it. Another board member and I split it. It was maybe a couple of bucks more that pre panic pricing.

Here is the link to them. Champion's Choice - Product Catalog - Ammunition

I agree with the others, you should get way better groups than 2" at 50 yards. You may be on the right track with a different scope. I would also check the v block if you replaced the barrel. Whether you did it, or a gunsmith did it, somebody might have forgotten to tighten it correctly. Then take the time to check the stock bolt and all scope/mount/ring mounting screws.

Good luck, the 10/22 is a good shooter and a fun little rifle.

I agree with DFOOSKING, a preasure point is needed on a 10/22. Another way is to use a V block on the barrel and
free float the action. That was popular several years ago. Glass bedding the barrel for an inch or two, takes the pressure
off the action. The barrels are only held on by a wedge at the bottom. If the barrel to action fit is a bit loose, it will vertical
string shots.

My TacSol build (factory everything but barrel, chopped and stained the factory stock, pillar bedded and action bedded) was like a shotgun with everything but CCI Blazer which would give me 1.5MOA at 50 yards consistently (furthest I shot it). Tried Wolf, CCI Green Tag, SK, RWS, as well as various bulks and standard velocity/subsonic loads.

So... could be your barrel. Could be how it went together (pressure spot as mentioned), etc. Could be the scope - do you have a second great scope to put on it for testing? What kind of groups can you get with other rifles?

I ended up selling the 10/22, got a Savage Mk II BTV and put a Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50AO scope on it, all for $25 more than I sold the 10/22 for.

I shoot sub .5 MOA out of my other precision rifles so I don't feel that it's me.

I took the gun all apart today and cleaned everything thoroughly, including the barrel.

I Noticed the screw holding the action in the stock was not tight, but not totally loose either, so I am hoping that had something to do with the bad groups.

The barrel was not super tight in the receiver once the v block was removed, I suppose I sanded the barrel shank down a little too much when I got the barrel a few years ago. I reinstalled it with red loctite on the shank and tightened down the the v block screws.

When I put the barreled action back in the stock, I really torqued down the action screw with red loctite so it won't come loose again. One thing that changed with this is the barrel was now contacting the front of the stock. Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing yet.

My next step if this doesn't fix it is try another scope. I have a few USO and NF scopes I can try, but they all have picatinny mounts, so I need a quality picatinny scope base for a 10/22.

I am most likely going to upgrade the scope. Any suggestions on a good all around 22 scope with adjustable parallax? I would prefer to not go much over $500 if I don't have to.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
2" at 50 is definitely no beuno. Sounds like you may have found at least part of your problem... won't know until you shoot it. DFoos nailed about everything I was going to say. I do wonder why you would go with a TacSol barrel with a KIDD trigger since the KIDD barrels are fantastic options.

With that said... I could never get my 10/22 to shoot properly with the can on (accuracy wise). Without the can it would easily shoot hole-in-hole at 50... with the can it turnes into a shotgun. We tried many things between KIDD and the suppressor mfg including adaptors and recutting the barrel. There was nothing there mechanically that we could find to cause the issue... the can shoots great on everything else.

Get a Ruger Weaver scope base for around $25 and put your sweet scope on it.

If it's not that,my $ would be on blaming the TacSol barrel.(or maybe your sanding;)) My buddy has a TacSol and it's impossible to shoot a 10 shot 1" group @ 50y with Center-X ammo.
I don't even have to try to get sub 1" group @ 50 with my VQ barreled 10/22 with the much maligned Hogue stock. With it's ghetto trigger job and a good scope, it's held up to Volquartsen's accuracy claims as long as I feed it GOOD match ammo.

There's a brand new 20" Kidd on the PX for $220

I wish I could tell you exactly what is going on with your 10/22. It sounds like you have good components except for maybe the scope. Also, are you getting the same cheek weld every shot? I would go over everything with a fine toothed comb.
I would expect your barrel and the addition of your trigger would help you shoot some good groups. Better than what you are getting. I have an Archangel target stock, KSA barrel and Mueller APT on mine with stock trigger. I built up my own homemade cheek rest to make sure I get the same sight picture everytime. I mostly shoot 36gr bulk Federal or Winchester ammo in it. This is a pic of a 10" circle I shot at 250yds a couple of weeks back with Federal bulk 36gr ammo. Mind you I had to go near the max elevation for my scope and had to use the lowest mil-dot on my reticle. Got to get a 20MOA base for this thing. I would love to get my hands on some Match ammo to try out but right now I can't even find bulk 22LR anymore. Luckily I have plenty stored up.

Attachments

• IMG_20130519_170621_390.jpg
    IMG_20130519_170621_390.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 11
"The barrel was not super tight in the receiver once the v block was removed, I suppose I sanded the barrel shank down a little too much when I got the barrel a few years ago. I reinstalled it with red loctite on the shank and tightened down the the v block screws."

That's probably your biggest issue right there. That barrel should fit very snugly in the receiver. If you sanded it down and then tried to fill in the excess space with Loctite, you might as well get a new barrel. Depending on how undersized that barrel shank is now, it's probably being pulled down and out of square with the receiver and may be shifting around a tiny amount even with the v block tightened down. When I installed a Green Mountain barrel on my 10/22, I had to tap it on with a rubber mallet. It was a very tight fit and that's the way it should be.

I shrank my groups a little by weighing my ammo(SK/Wolf). Separated them into .10 grain lots. Not hard to do while watching TV.

I would assume it is a combination of things and not just one.

Never fired an acceptably accurate Tacsol barrel; just sell it and buy one of the many known for accuracy brands. As for 10/22 accuracy with a sjppressor, go the ”integral” route and be done with it--- no accuracy issues

Sounds screwy man. My 10/22 with vogue stock factory target trigger group and ershaw bull barrel shoots 1/2 groups at 50 yards with federal bulk ammo. I may get some fliers here and there but it is not match grade ammo. Is the crown nicked up at all? I'll call the manufacturer on that as groups that off are unacceptable.

I have replaced everything on mine and found that the biggest accuracy improvements were from either a Kidd or Shilen barrel and the V-block on the barrel retainer. I also tried several triggers and came back to the Kidd. I could never shoot well with the Tactical Solutions barrel but I suspect because it was short and light. I'd end up throwing shots that the longer/heavier barrels did not.

I put a set screw behind the sling stud so i could put upward pressure on the barrel and that allowed me to "tune" my gun for different types of ammo