• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 or GSG-5

Jonlow209

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
United States
So i am real close into buying a rimfire gun and am thinking about the Ruger 10/22 or the GSG-5. I am trying to justify if it is worth $200 more dollars to buy a GSG-5 or the 10/22. Which is more accurate? The gun is going to be used for 100 yards max mostly.

Re: Ruger 10/22 or GSG-5

I vote for the ruger, ridiculous amount of customizable shit for it.
aftermarket heavy target barrels are cheap, and with match ammo, under a dime at 100 yards.

RUGER all the way.

IMO

Hands down Ruger.
Just too much history and flexability there.

Once you have about two 10/22s that are completely customized then pick up the GSG-5 as a novelty.

Be careful though.
10/22s can be more addicting than crack!!!

I just had to make a similar decision this week! I was trading in an old IZH-35M match pistol (never really got into bullseye) and was waffling between a MkIII or a GSG pistol. The GSG was pretty cool, but I figured I 'needed' a Ruger in the stable first.

I have 3 Ruger 10/22s. 2 of them are tricked out and one is factory stock. I have 1 GSG-5 and it is the most fun you'll have with a rim fire. It's not as accurate as the 10/22 but thats not why I have it. Like most here I have aks, ars, bolt guns, shotguns blah blah blah. The GSG-5 is the most fun gun that I have hands down.

GSG-5 all the way.

GSG looks way cool, but that's about all it has going for it.

The aftermarket support for the 10/22 is outstanding and you can make it look any way you want.

My vote is for the Ruger.

If you go 10/22, try and find an older one. The new ones have trigger assemblies made of composite. Also the receivers are not nearly as nicely finished and the the barrels are no longer blued. Just krinkle coated black. If you go old enough you might luck out and grab one with a black walnut stock and metal buttplate. Functionally they seem to be just as good as the old ones but to me, the "old world" quality is worth the effort in finding one. Plus, used 10/22's litter the marketplace.

I vote for the GSG... here is why.

I think the Ruger is the better gun. I've just never been able to get exited over a 10/22. I think the magazine is a pain in the ass and 10 rounds or 22 doesn't thrill me. Every hi-cap I ever used in a 10/22 was crap and I have a closet full of them. Is the Ruger accurate... hell yes! Is it durable.. absolutly.. is it solid.. bet your ass it is.

Guess what...

gsg_full.jpg

This thing is as fun as firecrackers and toilet bowls.

If you do decide on a GSG-5 make sure you're buying a generation 2.

I agree w/ hatidua. Definitely the Ruger. More options for customising and they definitely are more accurate and reliable.

A dedicated .22LR upper for an AR15 would be a much better purchase. My spikes tactical setup looks, feels, and probably is of superior quality compared to a gsg5.

The GSG5 is built from airsoft parts. hehe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: igofast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GSG looks way cool, but that's about all it has going for it.

The aftermarket support for the 10/22 is outstanding and you can make it look any way you want.

My vote is for the Ruger. </div></div>

+1

10/22

I had both a 10/22 and a GSG-5. I still have the 10/22.

GSG-5 just has cool factor but feels like what it is, an airsoft gun that shoots .22. I don't think they even changed the barrel it's so skinny.

Can "tacticool" out a 10/22 anyway if that's what you want. More reliable high cap mags are available now.

Just picked up a Spikes .22 AR upper too, and that's lots of fun and the BDM mags are great

LOVE the 10/22. Reasonably accurate out to 100yds or so.This is my little baby:

blue4.jpg

She's cost me about $1200.00 and she STILL can't hang with my Mosberg 44US.

IMG00167.jpg

Here's a sample target from the Mossberg.

Target1-17-09.jpg

Those are 1/4" grid lines. Any error noted in the accuracy of this rifle is MINE, the gun just out-shoots me.

Get a 10/22, buy extra mags for it.

Comparing a 10/22 to just about any bolt gun on the market isn't a fair comparison whatsoever. My 10/22 has a custom stock, trigger job, polished bolt, match barrel, 4-12x50, target crown, polished mags lips, shimmed trigger group.

It can't beat my bone stock Marlin 25N with a 2.5-10x on top at 100 yards.

My buddy just picked up a GSG. It's a neat little piece, but it is what it is. After finger fucking it for 10 seconds, it was yesterdays news.

If you want an accurate, reliable, customizable platform, then 10/22. If you just want to pop caps, the GSG-5 looks like alot of fun.

I have both, the ruger is more accurate. The GSG5 is way cooler and fun to carry, shoot, etc. Tacticoolnees is off charts. Sheeet just get both like I did. lol

I have both and would have to say they are in 2 different categories.

My 10/22 is pretty tricked out and is a tack driver. with that being said It is a blast to shoot but its more of a target gun off a rest or laying prone.

The GSG-5 is a plinker, it has relatively good accuarcy but man it is so much fun to shoot. Everybody that sees it wants to shoot it.

So my vote is get both. Tack driver and the Toy.

check out the GSG forums over in ar15.com under the armory tab. Then you'll be hooked.

Have you ever considered the Marlin 7000t if you can find one. My favorite is the Marlin Model 60 tube fed in stainless. The ruger is ok but mine doesnt keep the bolt back after the 10th round. I hate that. Yes I own all three.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If you do decide on a GSG-5 make sure you're buying a generation 2.

</div></div>

can you elaborate?

There are 3 generations of the GSG-5 well they are classiefied as only 2 but it should be 3

Gen one had some issues with the bolt cracking, Gen one had issues with the screws coming loose, week firing pin, I believe they use loctite in the gen2, There was an issue on the gen 1 and some early gen 2's the extractor would fall off, They have since riveted them in place, If you have one of these you can send them off to have it fixed. Both gens should have the shitty screws replaced with a better quality hex nut. There is a few places offering this upgrade, or you could take the time and figure out what you need. I took the easy way and paid 6.00 for all the hardware.

Also check out the gsg-5 section over at AR15.com under the ARmory tab.

Gen one and gen 2
gen1andgen2.jpg