• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 Target build

Gregch44

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Upstate NY
I just bought a 10/22 Target in SS to build as a trainer. I wanted to have the same type optics (FFP mil/mil) as my sig rifle without breaking the bank, so I bought a Falcon Menace 5.5-25X56mm off a member here. Retical is a little canted, but not too bad, oh well. I wasn't too impressed with the accuracy though. 10 shot groups were a ragged hole at 25 yards, but about 1.5" or so at 50 yards with CCI MINNI-MAG Copper Plated 40 Grain ammo(all I had).
DSC00270.jpg

I ordered e few parts from KIDD:
Two stage trigger
Match grade barrel
Bolt
Cocking assembly
bolt buffer
Receiver pin set
and from Volquartsen a hardened V-Block and takedown screw
I am waiting on a "MiniA5" stock from Kirk here on the Hide

I took it out today and am pleased. It was pretty cold (numb fingers) and a couple feet of snow on the ground, so this was not my best effort. I can't wait to see what it will do with match ammo in more comfortable conditions.
DSC00290.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

Re: Ruger 10/22 Target build

Thats not bad. Surprised how the groups cleaned up. Best bet is to try many different ammo types tho.

Also, to add to the more ralistic trainer look/feel, there is a stock being sold on the options thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2362081&page=1

I really want one for my 10/22 but going to wait to see if i get tax money back...

Regards,
DT

Nice rifle, although I'm surprised by such a small group with mini-mags, I've never had that good of luck with them for accuracy.

When I put mine together I had emailed KIDD asking about ammo. CCI MiniMags were among the ones suggested. Mine likes the Eley and the Federal GMM:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "KIDD"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They tend to like CCI Mini Mags, Wolf Match, SK Jagd, Eley Match.

MKidd

Tony Kidd
Kidd Innovative Design
830-557-4411
www.coolguyguns.com</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, to add to the more ralistic trainer look/feel, there is a stock being sold on the options thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2362081&page=1</div></div>

That is the stock he referred to when he said he ordered one from Kirk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, to add to the more ralistic trainer look/feel, there is a stock being sold on the options thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2362081&page=1</div></div>

That is the stock he referred to when he said he ordered one from Kirk </div></div>

Oh snap...haha guess that whole concentrating while reading is important.

When you receive it, PICS!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats not bad. Surprised how the groups cleaned up. Best bet is to try many different ammo types tho.

Also, to add to the more ralistic trainer look/feel, there is a stock being sold on the options thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2362081&page=1

I really want one for my 10/22 but going to wait to see if i get tax money back...

Regards,
DT </div></div>

Hey thanks for the stock tip, but I am already on Kirks list. I will be trying a lot of different ammo as I go. Waiting on some Wolf Match Extra right now.

I guess I should have read all the posts myself before I replied to you.
Pics for sure when she gets re-stocked

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I put mine together I had emailed KIDD asking about ammo. CCI MiniMags were among the ones suggested. Mine likes the Eley and the Federal GMM:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "KIDD"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They tend to like CCI Mini Mags, Wolf Match, SK Jagd, Eley Match.

MKidd

Tony Kidd
Kidd Innovative Design
830-557-4411
www.coolguyguns.com</div></div> </div></div>

Thanks, good info there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Palmetto Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of groups do you get from something like the cheap wallyworld box'o'bullets? </div></div>

Winchester X PERT HV is the bulk ammo that I have. I shot this on Sat. in the cold and wind, at 50 yards. It was probably in the teens with wind blowing pretty good. Conditions aside, I could have been a lot better. I would call this OK for crap ammo.
DSC00293.jpg

My Kidd barrel loved wolf/sk ammo. The regular Match/Plus was the best. Eley didnt do any better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ITGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Kidd barrel loved wolf/sk ammo. The regular Match/Plus was the best. Eley didnt do any better. </div></div>

I am waiting for some Wolf Match Extra, that I ordered, to come in. I can't wait to see those results.