• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 10/22 Target?

sniper848

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
North Carolina
I am looking at buying a new rimfire very soon and just wanted a few opinions on this rifle. I know the 10/22 line is good and is easy to upgrade, but I don't want to have to upgrade a rifle to make it shoot well. So how does this rifle shoot, what kind of groups can I expect? How do you like the stock?

Re: Ruger 10/22 Target?

They shoot, some better than others out of the box. The barrel is a really solid hammer forged specimen and one of the most beautiful rimfire barrels in my opinion. That being said, the 10/22 needs to be bedded in order to realize its potential, and when you do, the Target Model seems to hover around 1/2" at 50 with Wolf MT ammo.I set back and re-chamber the Target barrels then hand lap and Moly Fusion treat them, once you do that you've got a real ringer for a semi-auto, but a semi is not going to be as accurate out of the box as a bolt in most instances because the manufacturers will not install the chamber needed to go head to head with a bolt. If you want a REALLY accurate out of the box semi,with no modification needed, take a peek at the TC R55.

They shoot, some better than others out of the box. The barrel is a really solid hammer forged specimen and one of the most beautiful rimfire barrels in my opinion. That being said, the 10/22 needs to be bedded in order to realize its potential, and when you do, the Target Model seems to hover around 1/2" at 50 with Wolf MT ammo.I set back and re-chamber the Target barrels then hand lap and Moly Fusion treat them, once you do that you've got a real ringer for a semi-auto, but a semi is not going to be as accurate out of the box as a bolt in most instances because the manufacturers will not install the chamber needed to go head to head with a bolt. If you want a REALLY accurate out of the box semi,with no modification needed, take a peek at the TC R55.

I own a 10/22 Target, and it is very accurate with the right ammo (mine like Wolf ME best).
The 10/22 are great because they are basically "a standard" like the AR15, so you will find a huge amount of aftermarket configuration choices.
But I agree with skeeeter on the fact that the TC R-55 is a better design straight from the factory. Steel receiver, double screwed receiver/stock support, threaded barrel. A 10/22 like it should have been
wink.gif

I love my Ruger 10/22. But I favor my Savage Mk II over it. The groupings for the Savage is far more superior than the 10/22. Again, my 10/22 only got the stock upgrade. Nothing fancy. I use the Savage for trainning. With the Wolf Match ammo, it's quite accurate.

I have 2 with one of them having a custom stock built to it. The one I shoot right now was not that great at 50 yds maybe 1.5" groups factory every thing. I put a tacsol barrel and a hogue stock which is my truck rifle and hunting. Have not shot groups to see how accurate it is since the stock flexes if you apply to much pressure. I know that I can consistently hit skeet traps at 230 yds with fiocchi ammo. I have a savage mkII sporter rifle that shoot great, moa @100 yds with wolf, eley, and fiochhi biathalon, and pmc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a 10/22 Target, and it is very accurate with the right ammo (mine like Wolf ME best).
The 10/22 are great because they are basically "a standard" like the AR15, so you will find a huge amount of aftermarket configuration choices.
</div></div>
Be careful it’s like crack the next thing you know you have 1K in a 22. Mine started out stock so much for that. What do you want the rifle for comps, training, or just fun? If you want a 10/22 then you might want to look at some of the after market parts. You might just be money ahead if you plane your build now. Take a look at what Kidd builds his stuff will run circles around anything that Ruger puts out.

I just want a trainer and maybe a little squirrel hunting every now and then. It is either this a Savage MKII BTVS or a Anschutz 1517MPR, but I thought it mught be fun to have a semi auto.

If it is a trainer that you want and your primary is a bolt gun then I would stick with a bolt action. I would also get something that had about the same trigger weight as your primary. A light trigger is nice but you would want to take full advantage of a trainer. You will be able to pick out your mistakes (follow through, check weld, trigger control, ect.) easier with a 22. If you shoot subs you can watch them hit the paper. JMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my Ruger 10/22. But I favor my Savage Mk II over it. The groupings for the Savage is far more superior than the 10/22. I use the Savage for trainning. With the Wolf Match ammo, it's quite accurate. </div></div>

this

I upgraded a regular one, and it cost me a good bit, but it's well worth it. It does the Boy Scouts Merit Badge 50ft (cover ten with a quarter) requirement at 50yd with about 1/4" left to spare, using CCI Blue Box Std Vel target ammo. It's not a trainer, it's a match gun, using a (no longer available) Kimber barrel and stock. Like most real R/F hammers, I think the barrel had its origins at L-W

Greg

If your looking to get the Ruger Target 10/22, I would suggest against it. I did the same thing, but after it is all said and done, the only thing left of the factory rifle is the reciever. You would be best served finding the cheapest stock 10/22 you can find, and use that as a base to start your build.

Its easy to say that you wont start upgrading it, and keep it stock, but as someone else mentioned these things are like crack.

I think of them as being like popcorn. You just can't stop yourself from going back for more...

omg.ok i bought a 10/22.then a fajen unfinished stock and sanded it to fit me. sent the bolt away to get jeweled. house broken into, gun gone. years later i still have the bolt, nicely jeweled and i decide to build another. pepper or nutmeg? brown or black? silver receiver or black? oh what ever shall i do? long and short of it are i now have 2, one pepper one nutmeg, one silver the other black. fluted bulls on each. spare parts out the wazoo. fun gun though, i love the mannlicher stock one.

hey scottx88 what brand and power is that silver scope? i need one in that color