• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Ruger 22/45 Issue with mods

0V3RC10CK3D

Private
Minuteman
Hello,
I bought a new Mark III Ruger 22/45 last week and installed the Volquartsen Mark II accurizing kit along with the Volquartsen Mark II hammer bushing.

In addition to this I did the slingshot gravity mod by removing the ball detent from the bolt release.

Everything was fine for awhile but today at the range it seems like the trigger wouldn't reset for the last round, when I got to the last round it would chamber it but then not fire with the empty mag, if I dropped the mag or pulled the bolt back slightly and let go I would then be able to pull the trigger to fire it.

Any ideas? I think it has something to do with the magazine follower pushing up on the bolt release when the last round leaves the magazine and goes into the chamber. Also if i wiggle the bolt release then I would be able to fire the trigger.

This also didn't happen 100% of the time.

Re: Ruger 22/45 Issue with mods

Try posting on rimfirecentral.com. There is a 22/45 specific forum, too. If anyone will have some info, those guys will. Good luck.

Just don't beat it to death ...

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3252824#Post3252824

laugh.gif

Try squeezing off several shots as quickly as you can to see if it is only the last shot that is problematic of if the problem exists throughout. If the problem occurs in any case other than the chambering of the last round, it is most likely a trigger adjustment issue. If it only occurs on the final round, that is new territory for me, but I'll take a look at mine when I get a chance to see if I can figure it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try squeezing off several shots as quickly as you can to see if it is only the last shot that is problematic of if the problem exists throughout. If the problem occurs in any case other than the chambering of the last round, it is most likely a trigger adjustment issue. If it only occurs on the final round, that is new territory for me, but I'll take a look at mine when I get a chance to see if I can figure it out. </div></div>

Thanks, it does only happen on the last round. I think it has to do with the follower pushing up on the bolt release, I did a bunch of testing while at the range. I also tried multiple magazines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just don't beat it to death ...

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3252824#Post3252824

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Haha, He's an idiot. I bought my 22/45 and the Volquartsen Trigger, Hammer, Seer and Mark2 Hammer bushing at the same time. Shot it at the range once while stock then replaced out all the parts. Youtube was a great resource. If it doesn't work, you're doing it wrong, people need to remember that.

I just tore mine down and the bolt release doesn't touch any part of the trigger group (other than sharing the front pin). The only thing that I could come up with is that your slide/bolt is catching on the followers and not closing completely, which would prevent the trigger bar from moving all the way up so that the trigger is set. I'd check the bottom of the bolt that rides the follower for a burr or something that could be catching the plastic followers. I'd be willing to bet that a little polishing on the center flat of the bolt will fix the problem.

By any chance do you notice "less" slack in your trigger pull for that last round? I read somewhere online that people had an issue with that. I'm wondering if my pretravel screw is so close that it's not able to reset with this issue added.

I can't say I did. I still can't come up with any reason the trigger group would be affected by mag capacity (other than bolt position). A poorly adjusted pre-travel would certainly cause trigger reset issues, but you'd experience problems throughout the magazine rather than just on the final round.