• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ruger 22 Subsonics and SS Sparrow

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I was shooting my Ruger 22/45 with some CCI Subsonics yesterday through my SS Sparrow, and the pistol would not cycle. Im assuming its because the subtonics were not powerful enough to cycle the action. Anybody else have the same problem shooting subtonics out of the Ruger Mark 3 and 22/45?

CCI Quiet 22LR would not cycle my 22/45 Lite w/ Sparrow yestetday. But, it is mouse fart quiet. Part my issue was a dirty gun as I had just fired 300+ rounds of Winchester M22. I'm betting this CCI would cycle it if it was freshly cleaned and well lubricated. I'll follow up if I can prove that out on another range trip.

I've not had any problems with mine, but my cleaning/lubrication cycle seems to be shorter than most. At this point, the maximum interval has been 100 rounds.

junger- to me, one of the best things about a .22 with a can is the fact that you can run it in the back yard. :)

I haven't tried those in my 22/45 Lite yet, but I ran several types of ammo over the chronograph. CCI Blazer, Remington Thunderbolt and Gemtech were all subsonic and sounded about the same to my ears from the short barrel. I also tried Federal Classic and had several run supersonic with a bump in velocity and a definite supersonic crack. I settled on Blazer as the best accuracy of that group. The Gemtech also shot well, but I didn't think there was any advantage in the shorter barrel. They sound great out of a 16" barrel and a Spectre II though.

Doubtful you'll find any semi auto that will function with CCI Quiet. You have to remember that the stuff is only loaded to 710fps which is 300+fps below most other Subsonic labeled ammo which tends to run 1020-1080fps and is in some guns borderline on functioning 100%. That means it simply doesn't have enough oomph to cycle the action. I'm really not a fan of the CCI Quiet ammo as the low velocity gives it the trajectory of a rainbow.

I've not had any issues with most other subsonic ammo outside of Aguila 38gr Subs which are loaded to 1020fps. They're quiet but won't function all semis

Yeah I hear ya. The CCI Quiet stuff is really slow. But it was the only subsonic 22 ammo available at the store, so I thought I would give it a try. Im glad I only got one box of it. It is super quiet though.

Shop based on velocity. Something to consider is that depending on where you're located sound barrier is most likely under +/- 1100fps. Most Rimfire ammo is marked with estimated velocities from a 16" barrel. That means that there's a good chance most standard velocity and some slower high velocity may still be subsonic from your pistol ;). One of the reasons 4" pistol barrels are favored in pistol host is because bulk pack stays subsonic from the shorter barrel

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .22 Results <---click

Mark IIIs has a real suppression disadvantage, a sloppy chamber that creates ejection pop much louder than either the Mark I or II.
If your rig has a 4" barrel and the .22s you are shooting are on the chart above and at subsonic velocities....its the pop and your can's performance.
Some place a thumb on the back of the III's bolt when firing, that keeps the pop from occurring.
Also subsonic rounds are filthy and not in a good way. All that and no cycling, range, impact force, etc. either. Plated .22s are best for your can.
IF you have been experiencing any misfires and still have a stock Ruger firing pin, dump it a.s.a.p.
Dump the lawyer parts and your mag will drop free and a whole lot more.

Last edited: