• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 30-06 Long Distance Hunting Build

NewShooter83

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2022
TX
Alright so I bought a Ruger American 30-06 this summer. My first hunting rifle. I bought it bc growing up its what I heard my dad ans grandpa hunt with. Took it to sight in and man it was a lot. So I started rrading up, found a Witts Clamp On Brake which took half the recoil away. Now I wanna work on the stock.

My goal with this rifle is long range and hunting. Not precision groups. I want to enjoy learning ballistics and different distances while also having portability

Thru my research I've found there's really only 3 options

1) Bell and Carlsons which is a synthetic stock much like rugers just more rigid and has aluminum pillars and blocks. (Only 2 Oz more than stock.

2) Boyd's has the ProVarmint with Adjustable comb, stripping, and aluminum pillars at a reasonable cost and also provides the glass material to bed the action. This stock weighs in closer to 4lbs but is wood and allows bench, prone, and standing/kneeling shooting. Lots of options.

3) finally there is the MDT Chassis mirrored after the LSS on brownells model BRN-1. The forend weighs in at 1.6lbs, can get a rear stock as low as 1.4 lbs so stock is only 3lbs. It also solves another weakness of the American longnaction which is the rotary mag that never wants to stay stacked and chamber properly everytime as it converts your rifle to AICS mags.

Where I'm headed with this, is what are yalls experience with these different stock options. Really trying to weigh which way I wanna go. Will be putting an Arken SH4 6-24 on it which weights 29 Oz. So which ever way I go I belive I can stay at or under 10lbs. I may replace the scope eventually with a 17-20 Oz 4-16x. Not trying to turn this into an optical discussion as I've purchased those for the time. Really want to focus on the stock!

Feel free to provide feedback, pics, even additional ideas besides sell my rifle. I had thought of that too, but will down the road make a .308 night hunting rig on a krg bravo chassis with ATN optics capable of much more too.

Reactions: Bandit320
I have Boyd stocks on several rifles, including the Pro Varmint. I don’t have the adjustable cheek piece. I really like them, fit is always spot on and the guns shoot way better then with the cheap plastic stocks.

Reactions: NewShooter83
Of those I would take the B&C. There's a HUGE difference between the injection molded garbage that many factory guns wear and a decent fiberglass/synthetic stock. Pick your poison, I guess I'd get THIS one.

Just remember this: accuracy IS precision... it cannot exist at "long" range without it. If you can't shoot a tight group then you lack the consistency as a shooter to place an accurate single shot with confidence (in the statistical sense... plenty of folks out there missing shots confidently).

That was my 1st choice but it's for short action only. I have emailed and they do not offer in long action. Only the lightweight shorter style