• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 31167 Talo Sporter Question

MAHLMAN

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
I have read a number of threads and comments on stock 10/22's. How you have to double your money in aftermarket work or parts or both to make them right. I have read comments both pro and con and after a while I decided that it was a crap shoot perhaps as to what you might get but the large majority of owners were happy. I just wanted to shoot snapping turtles and apple/garden robbing critters and punch paper with decent accuracy.

So I order this Ruger Talo Sporter 31167 and figure I will get something above the normal offering that won't require Mr Fixit or Mr Cadillac Parts guy to make it work for my purposes as is from the box.

Sent this off today to the Talo group assuming it was done by them or at least they supervised what was done.

"I am assuming your are the people who produced the Ruger 31167 I bought recently. I am really disappointed in this gritty creepy trigger that requires so much pressure to fire and the awkward angle it travels in. I am also disappointed in a safety that grinds so loud that you can hear it from 20 feet away with my damaged hearing. It all just feels third rate cheapo plastic with roughly machined metal parts married to second rate molded plastic parts and might as well have been made in a china knock off factory. I though I was buying a good accurate rifle and find that I have to dump more money into it just to get it there. A lousy trigger means deficient grouping or accurate shots on critters and this is what you people gave me.

My wife's 25 year old bone stock 10/22 trigger and safety that has not been shot much is better then this thing you sold me."

Debating what I will do here. My wife's old 10/22 has been a real worth while gun and was part of my decision making process. Not dumping a bunch of money into something new just to make it work like it should have anyway.

OK I am looking for a decent cheap answer to this dilemma and all the you shoulda never bought comments are irrelevant to me. I want to know what to do with what I have. Which brings me to another quandary. Why is it there are a hundred different "solutions" and antagonistic turf defending you are stupid, no YOU are stupid comments that abound with a comment on how to fix a problem? Sometime I wonder if the web makes people crazy and "being right" as defined by the poster becomes the main goal and not correctly answering the question asked..

Go over to rimfire central forum in the "anything 10/22" sector and you will find all sorts of solutions from sending the trigger off to be reworked or even the entire gun by a popular gunsmith that is known to get great results at reasonable prices on 10/22's.

Reactions: usafa77
I bought a Charger 10/22 about two years ago for a fun gun to use with a suppressor. It's probably the same quality overall as your unit. I completely understand the disappointment, as my original 10/22 from 38 years ago is worlds better.

Luck of the draw friend. To date I’ve owned something like 25+ different 10/22s and clones. Of those only 1 meets my accuracy requirements with mid grade ammo (a 1978 DSP), with another (1995 SS Int Lam) being close.
Most of these are 3-4+ MOA guns. As you know, with one screw holding the gun together, a heavy trigger applies pressure and flex to the entire assembly.
Right now you own the gun, the question is, are you willing to finish it? Are you willing to tune the existing parts and possibly replace parts to achieve your goal?

Reactions: Westcoast308
Just buy this, seems like the trigger is all that you don't like.
Or I think there is a BX kit, for the trigger, not safety.

What you bought is a Talo LVT, light varmint target, and like you said, not many complaints on them, but most go in knowing doing something to the trigger is a must.
And TALO doesn't make the guns, Ruger does to their specs. I think the org TALO means, Tennesse, Alabama, Louisiana, Oklahoma, so unless they forward your nasty gram to Ruger, doubt much will be done. Ruger knows they are shipping rifles with shit triggers, doubt they will accommodate you either.

Reactions: mewillis
I am really disappointed in this gritty creepy trigger that requires so much pressure to fire

Ruger knows they are shipping rifles with shit triggers,
Everyone knows and has come to a degree to understand most times that heavy pull triggers are nothing but protections dictated by their lawyers for out of the box rifles due to the sue crazy society we now reside in.
Just buy this, seems like the trigger is all that you don't like.
Ruger® BX-Trigger®
This right here is proof that Ruger knows how to make a better trigger but again the lawyers are probably telling them they would be increasing their risk of lawsuits if they include it in an out of the box rifle as surely someone would blame the light trigger if someone was shot.

Everyone knows and has come to a degree to understand most times that heavy pull triggers are nothing but protections dictated by their lawyers for out of the box rifles due to the sue crazy society we now reside in.

This right here is proof that Ruger knows how to make a better trigger but again the lawyers are probably telling them they would be increasing their risk of lawsuits if they include it in an out of the box rifle as surely someone would blame the light trigger if someone was shot.
Bx trigger comes in all their target model rifles and they have supplied better triggers if not the BX in their target rifles forever.
I have had some Ruger triggers that rival Kidd single stage 16oz triggers.
Why would they add the expense to their costs when we are more than willing to upgrade?

Why would they add the expense to their costs when we are more than willing to upgrade?
Besides the lawyer trigger pull weight you answered your own question.
As owners are willing to upgrade then Ruger makes an additional sale hence makes more $$ for those buying the lighter more refined BX trigger group.

Reactions: mewillis
Bx trigger comes in all their target model rifles and they have supplied better triggers if not the BX in their target rifles forever.
I have had some Ruger triggers that rival Kidd single stage 16oz triggers.
That same thought was going through my mind. Fee building by CPA MBA types.

Go over to rimfire central forum in the "anything 10/22" sector and you will find all sorts of solutions from sending the trigger off to be reworked or even the entire gun by a popular gunsmith that is known to get great results at reasonable prices on 10/22's.

Send it to Connecticut Precision Chambering. While it won't become a precision bolt gun, it will be a very nice accurate 10-22. Get the whole works. It's worth the money.

Reactions: Westcoast308
Ok, I’ll ask. OP and at least one other poster have quality old 10/22’s but opted to purchase new el cheapo versions then complain about the quality.

Why did you not simply keep and use the ones you had. Everyone knows what Ruger offers today. Tupperware, roughly cast aluminum and barrels made by a pipe contractor.

Ok, I’ll ask. OP and at least one other poster have quality old 10/22’s but opted to purchase new el cheapo versions then complain about the quality.

Why did you not simply keep and use the ones you had. Everyone knows what Ruger offers today. Tupperware, roughly cast aluminum and barrels made by a pipe contractor.

My comment was really an observation, not a complaint. And my reason was stated - suppressor use. I was not going to cut down and SBR my original 10/22 when I could get a Charger and Ruger BX trigger for less than $400. It's fine for a fun gun, but there is no disputing the quality is less than what Ruger used to ship.

Reactions: RTH1800

Well the one I had is now my Wifes and it is mine mine all mine she says.
This is the problem I have with trying to get good info online about guns. There are many more happy people with these then unhappy and so you look at what are the odds are in getting a good gun, and your budget and go from there. Quality fade is everywhere it seems and I see corners cut in many different industries. Comments on Rimfire Central on how accurate these were helped form my buying choice.

Reactions: RTH1800
This is the problem I have with trying to get good info online about guns. There are many more happy people with these then unhappy and so you look at what are the odds are in getting a good gun, and your budget and go from there.
Biggest thing is every one has their own set of standards and expectations so where someone online talks how great it is their bar for satisfaction may be lower than yours.

The biggest thing I get kick out of is how many $500 rimfires using $4 a box ammo shoot consistent one-hole groups at 50 yards and 3/4" inch groups at 100 yards.
With all these 1000's of $500 mass produced out of the box tackdrivers out there it makes you wonder how someone like Vudoo or RimX ever sells a gun.

Just that right there should give you an idea of how much attention you should pay to some random someone saying whether something is good or not.

Reactions: RTH1800 and obx22
Just that right there should give you an idea of how much attention you should pay to some random someone saying whether something is good or not.
I agree but sifting them out can be a chore. There are obvious gross exaggerations and then you have the sneakier ones who live on line and love to wax eloquent and actually can sound good. Without a local mentor you can go and see and do hands on I guess the only thing left is you go on line get bit and you learn who to trust.

I agree but sifting them out can be a chore. There are obvious gross exaggerations and then you have the sneakier ones who live on line and love to wax eloquent and actually can sound good. Without a local mentor you can go and see and do hands on I guess the only thing left is you go on line get bit and you learn who to trust.
When I am researching a firearm or optic I am not familiar with considering purchase I watch all the videos I can find, search multiple forums for post and search for articles online that review the product in question.

I usually take the ones that make it appear to be the second coming and those that seem to think the brand in general is Satan himself and not pay those a lot of mind.
Secondly I give more credence to a review where the product was bought retail by the consumer and not provided free for the review as first off the one that bought it has skin in the game and many of the online reviewers who get product provided do not want to piss off the company that provides free products for them to test and make money off of so they may not be exactly truthful.

And then I take everything and decide what I feel is legit and what is not.
But in the end you are still making a calculated gamble on what you believe overall and in the case of most things buy from a company that has a good return policy and for longer term a company that has a good customer service rep and a lifetime no BS warranty.

That is about all you can do, in your case with the Ruger if it shoots okay and is accurate enough only has a crappy trigger just do yourself a favor and buy a BX trigger and be done with it.

Life is too short for the hassles and headaches to try to save a dollar or two.

Reactions: MAHLMAN
Even ruger’s “ top of the line” custom shop 10/22 has issues, with a lot of people unable to get reliability with match/ standard velocity ammo. unfortunately for many years ruger was considered a go to for affordable functional guns. Quality control has gone down hill for a lot of companies, as well as cost cutting on parts.
one of my friends bought a ruger “ target model” recent production and even after sinking a fair amount of money into aftermarket parts, couldn’t get through a match stage without one malfunction minimu.
he ( then later I) went all in on Kidd custom, and perfect reliability and much superior accuracy.

If you are looking for reliability and accuracy Kidd is the way to go.

Even ruger’s “ top of the line” custom shop 10/22 has issues, with a lot of people unable to get reliability with match/ standard velocity ammo. unfortunately for many years ruger was considered a go to for affordable functional guns. Quality control has gone down hill for a lot of companies, as well as cost cutting on parts.
one of my friends bought a ruger “ target model” recent production and even after sinking a fair amount of money into aftermarket parts, couldn’t get through a match stage without one malfunction minimu.
he ( then later I) went all in on Kidd custom, and perfect reliability and much superior accuracy.
Watching some School of the American Rifle gauging videos recently and some high end "reputable" companies send out bad parts too. If they have a good warranty and IF you can figure out what part of which part is giving you problems it will be covered. But it never should have gotten out the door to begin with. Most people do not have the gauging and expertise like SOTAR so I am betting a bunch of these parts that should have been rejected never get caught by users. End result is a should be scrap part makes a sale and the bean counters are happy.

I have read a number of threads and comments on stock 10/22's. How you have to double your money in aftermarket work or parts or both to make them right. I have read comments both pro and con and after a while I decided that it was a crap shoot perhaps as to what you might get but the large majority of owners were happy. I just wanted to shoot snapping turtles and apple/garden robbing critters and punch paper with decent accuracy.

So I order this Ruger Talo Sporter 31167 and figure I will get something above the normal offering that won't require Mr Fixit or Mr Cadillac Parts guy to make it work for my purposes as is from the box.

Sent this off today to the Talo group assuming it was done by them or at least they supervised what was done.

"I am assuming your are the people who produced the Ruger 31167 I bought recently. I am really disappointed in this gritty creepy trigger that requires so much pressure to fire and the awkward angle it travels in. I am also disappointed in a safety that grinds so loud that you can hear it from 20 feet away with my damaged hearing. It all just feels third rate cheapo plastic with roughly machined metal parts married to second rate molded plastic parts and might as well have been made in a china knock off factory. I though I was buying a good accurate rifle and find that I have to dump more money into it just to get it there. A lousy trigger means deficient grouping or accurate shots on critters and this is what you people gave me.

My wife's 25 year old bone stock 10/22 trigger and safety that has not been shot much is better then this thing you sold me."

Debating what I will do here. My wife's old 10/22 has been a real worth while gun and was part of my decision making process. Not dumping a bunch of money into something new just to make it work like it should have anyway.

OK I am looking for a decent cheap answer to this dilemma and all the you shoulda never bought comments are irrelevant to me. I want to know what to do with what I have. Which brings me to another quandary. Why is it there are a hundred different "solutions" and antagonistic turf defending you are stupid, no YOU are stupid comments that abound with a comment on how to fix a problem? Sometime I wonder if the web makes people crazy and "being right" as defined by the poster becomes the main goal and not correctly answering the question asked..

Some 10/22’s are just that rough and take a bit to break in. My target model very similar to yours was a bit finicky on ammo and wasn’t as accurate as I wanted. So I sent it to Randy at CPC https://ct-precision.com/ had him do the full work over. For $250 plus shipping I have a 10/22 that the trigger is very nice now, is silky smooth cycles everything even lower velocity sub-sonics and shoots ragged holes with just about everything. No parts get thrown in a box(money wasted) you’re keeping an hammer forged barrel that your grandchildren will never shoot out. I personally don’t mind paying a true craftsman for their honed skills rather than a CNC machine cranking out more overpriced billet stuff. Plus I had it back to me in 3-weeks! At a silhouette match practice I blew away the guys around me with its accuracy and they had all sorts of expensive parts on their 10/22’s. Here’s the rifle with a Titan stock and a 3-9x Leupold rimfire. All groups at 50yrds the CCI green tag and standard are 10 shots the Eley Target (1/4”) and Eley Force is 5 shots. You have a great base just let a master 10/22 smith tune it up you’ll be very happy. Then later if you’re still wanting more build another 10/22 from scratch. Unfortunately we have to live with the quality we are receiving these days to some degree because gun manufactures spend a ton of money to just stay in business. I love Marlins but the last few years were terrible on QC and now they’re gone. I still appreciate Ruger for what they are doing. Are they a bit overpriced for quality received YES but it’s better than nothing at all. American manufacturing is hurt but not dead it’s disgusting that young people by and large don’t get into trades giving there all. I spent years in a machine shop then a steel mill maintenance department and now I’m in a shipyard and only the old guys want to work it seems. This trend has no doubt trickled into every aspect of American industry. I have faith we will see a time when everything made in the USA commands the highest respect again.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5032.jpeg
    IMG_5032.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3932.jpeg
    IMG_3932.jpeg
    494.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 69242032494__26BF3AEB-5E30-452C-9FE2-4F5D1F55BB9E.jpeg
    69242032494__26BF3AEB-5E30-452C-9FE2-4F5D1F55BB9E.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Ruger Talo Sporter 31167
I bought the exact same rifle a few months back and it also had a horrible trigger, safety is fine. Bought a BX trigger hoping for the best and it was well worth the $75. Rifle shoots fine now, nothing special and it should come this way from the factory but that's just a pipe dream LOL......

Ruger Talo Sporter 31167
I bought the exact same rifle a few months back and it also had a horrible trigger, safety is fine. Bought a BX trigger hoping for the best and it was well worth the $75. Rifle shoots fine now, nothing special and it should come this way from the factory but that's just a pipe dream LOL......
So what do you like on that BX trigger?

It’s half the pull of the factory that came with it and less creep but nothing more magical. It’s $75 and I wasn’t going to spend $350-$400 on a custom.