• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 6.8 Mini 14

startrek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2008
lexington,nc
Am thinking about buying one since the reviews show much better accuracy with the revised Mini in 6.8, anyone have any experience with reloading, do I need small base dies, seems like thee is not much choice in 115 gr hunting bullets.

Re: Ruger 6.8 Mini 14

You can load the 6.8 with bullets from 85gr to 115 and there are several
85Gr TSX Barnes
95TTSX
110TSX

Speer 90gr TNT

Sierra
90gr hp
110 pro hunter
115 smk

Hornady
110 OTM(hpbt)
110 Vmax but the accuracy is terrible

GS customs
80gr HV
99gr HV
99gr SP

Nosler
100gr Accubond
110 Accubond
115 gr Match

check 68forums.com
And a guy in Canada just killed a grizzly with a 6.8

I shoot Speer 130gr in the neighborhood of 2500fps out of a 16" barrel..and I've had excellent accuracy with the 110gr VMAX. I'm curious to know what your load specs are and your barrel for you to say the accuracy was terrible. Its certainly one of the better flying projectiles in that class.

Killing a Grizzly with a 6.8mm. I hunt with a 6.8mm for whitetails using a Barnes 110 or Nosler 110 but I would never have thought to hunt a grizzly with one. Black bear no problem but a brown, Kodiak or Grizzly I don't think I would have thought of that one. He must have brass balls
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot Speer 130gr in the neighborhood of 2500fps out of a 16" barrel..and I've had excellent accuracy with the 110gr VMAX. I'm curious to know what your load specs are and your barrel for you to say the accuracy was terrible. Its certainly one of the better flying projectiles in that class. </div></div>

I never said this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot Speer 130gr in the neighborhood of 2500fps out of a 16" barrel..and I've had excellent accuracy with the 110gr VMAX. I'm curious to know what your load specs are and your barrel for you to say the accuracy was terrible. Its certainly one of the better flying projectiles in that class. </div></div>
I quit using the Vmax in 2006 for any kind of accuracy, but I did buy 1000 Vmaxs last year and used them to function test about 500 6.8 rifles I built since I use 2 110 gr and one 90gr to function test each rifle.
H