• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 77/17 and 77/22 magnum barrel options.

djdilliodon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2013
West Babylon, NY
I have 2 of these coming my way along with 2 kimbers to do some work on them. Both rugers will be getting new stocks, pillar bedding, glass bedded, rifle basix triggers, lugs lapped, J&P firing pin springs, and a match grade drop in barrel. Ive got it down to a lilja or Volquartsen drop in. I have done now 6 and soon to be another cz 455 with Lilja's and all after doing the supporting mods as I like to call it have shot wonderfully! Does anyone have experience with the VQ barrels and if so what size 5 shot groups are you getting at 50-100 yards? The only reason I'm considering the VQ barrels is they are a lot cheaper even with my discount on the Lilja's so if I can get similar performance at half the price I'd like to give the owner the option. Any help is greatly appreciated!

After reading through the VQ barrel specs,
I didn't see anything about hand lapping the bore/rifling.
Only a spec about bore tolerances.
I'd want to call and verify that omission.
That hand lapping does make a big difference.
Saves wasting a brick or two of ammo,
because with a hand lapped barrel, there is minimal break-in required.

Last edited:
After reading through the VQ barrel specs,
I didn't see anything about hand lapping the bore/rifling.
Only a spec about bore tolerances.
I'd want to call and verify that omission.
That hand lapping does make a big difference.

I'm gonna go trial and error on this one. Apparently one is gonna be for him and the other for his son. I'm gonna do a lilja on his gun and a VQ on his sons gun. I'm gonna push and try to complete my 455 hmr at the same time since I'm super curious which will be the most accurate. Should be very fun during range testing with the 3 and all will be 17 hmr to make it even as far as caliber goes.

check out Clark's Customs barrels I have one on my long range 77/22 its super accurate. Ruger's are about all they handle