• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 77/22 bolt lift?

scout1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2006
Apache County,Arizona
Well I went into a local gun shop yesterday to pick up some supplies and ended up walking out with this. Ruger 77/22 in .22lr, laminate stock with a 24" barrel. The barrel is slighty heavier then the normal 20" version. Finish is a stainless grey.

I had been in the market for a 77/22 for a number of years but hardly ever ran across one. Anyway this one really caught my eye because of the barrel length, and it being larger in diameter.

I do have a question though. The bolt lift is very heavy, is there angthing that can be done about this without risking reliable ignishion? I have already smoothed the angled cocking surface on the bolt.

scout1

Re: Ruger 77/22 bolt lift?

strange, mine is pretty easy now. I guess having thousands out of it helps. One thing I would reccoemend is the volq sear. Its like night and day for the trigger, best $30 I spent.

I got a stock coming for mine soon as well.

The bolt should wear in. I bought a used one that is really smooth. I put on a threaded 16" geen mountain barrel. 16" is the best barrel length for velocity IIRC.

I also put in a aftermarket sear/spring. Makes the trigger pull alot better. Highly reccomend the sear/spring replacement.

Hey Scout1,
If you don't mind would you share what you paid for the rifle. A friend of mine has one he bought new and I am trying to determine what to offer.
thanks in advance
dgwelsh

I have an early 77-22 Synthetic in 22LR, the bolt lift is smooth, I added the Volquartzen sear and cut the barrel to 16.25". It wears a 2-7 rimfire scope in offset rings.

Probably have 2K through the barrel with no loss of accuracy, if it starts to fall off, I may clean it.

McMillan offers a great stock for these "Heavy Barrel" rimfires.
I've had the Laminated version in 22LR 22Mag and 22Hornet but never like the way they shoot off bags.

If I could find another 22Hornet, I'd have a K-Hornet reammer run in and get the stock from McMillan.

Great guns,
Pete

I was going to buy a Mcmillan stock but I think they are like 5 or $600. I just ordered a factory synthetic stock to replace the laminate one on my rifle.

I paid $290 for a threaded heavy barrel 77/22 mag with 6-18x40 luepold.

Most rifles go for around $400 alone I think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgwelsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Scout1,
If you don't mind would you share what you paid for the rifle. A friend of mine has one he bought new and I am trying to determine what to offer.
thanks in advance
dgwelsh </div></div>

The MSRP from Ruger is $836.00, I paid $599.00 plus tax. I don't know if thats a good price or not but I'm happy.

Added question: I've noticed that my stock appears to be in full contact the full length of my barrel. Those of you that have the laminated stock, does your rifle shoot better if the barrel is free floated?

scout1

I have a first-year production 77/22. The bolt is smooth as can be. I've since added a Shilen bull barrel and Rifle Basix trigger. I was bummed when Brown Precision discontinued their tactical stock. I guess I'll have to spring for a McMillan. I'd really like to set it up the way TBA does their M40A1 Trainer.

http://www.texasbrigadearmory.com/m40a1.htm

I bought one used in nickel finish about 8 years ago. It has a nice wood stock. I threaded it for supressor. It was $350.

I have shot well over 100 thousand rounds through it. I spray a little rem oil on the bolt when it gets hard to close and open. I have only cleanded the barrel 3 or 4 times.

It's my favorit rifle. Friday a shot 1k rounds of remington sub through it. I was cuttting stems on wild flowers (weeds) from 10 to 60 yards. Mowed the whole field while smoking cigars with a buddy. It was great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tortuga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a first-year production 77/22. The bolt is smooth as can be. I've since added a Shilen bull barrel and Rifle Basix trigger. I was bummed when Brown Precision discontinued their tactical stock. I guess I'll have to spring for a McMillan. I'd really like to set it up the way TBA does their M40A1 Trainer.

http://www.texasbrigadearmory.com/m40a1.htm

</div></div>

I agree, that rifle from TDA is very nice.

scout1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: huntler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought one used in nickel finish about 8 years ago. It has a nice wood stock. I threaded it for supressor. It was $350.

I have shot well over 100 thousand rounds through it. I spray a little rem oil on the bolt when it gets hard to close and open. I have only cleanded the barrel 3 or 4 times.

It's my favorit rifle. Friday a shot 1k rounds of remington sub through it. I was cuttting stems on wild flowers (weeds) from 10 to 60 yards. Mowed the whole field while smoking cigars with a buddy. It was great. </div></div>

LOL. That sounds like a great way to spend the afternoon. And after the "mowing" is finished, a little "Makers Mark" to go with the cigars.

scout1