• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 77/22 project

jrn156

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
I picked up a 77/22 stainless synthetic in a trade and I am using it as a basis for a project rifle to build a trainer.

I've ordered a Clark .920 blue barrel- should be here in a week (everything is going to be Duracoated) and a Weigand scope base.

Does anyone know of a source for a decent stock at a reasonable price? Mine came with the factory boat paddle.

I would like a Boyds A5 type and Ive seen them for 10/22s but not the 77/22. Even a take off wood stock would be great to use for the base as I've seen in other threads. Short of that does anyone know what type of epoxy etc. will stick? I was thinking that some type of fiberglass filler or Marine Tex would work to make a passable M40 ish looking stock if it sticks to the plastic permanantly.

The other mod I want is a tactical bolt knob.

If anyone has any threads, suggestions or pics that would be most appreciated.

Re: Ruger 77/22 project

Check out this site http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=R7722 There's not nearly as many aftermarket accessories available for the 77/22 as there are for the 10/22. That said, I took an old 77/22 varmint with the laminated stock, free floated the barrel, worked the trigger, installed a Karsten cheek piece, Weigand scope base with Burris Signature series rings and made and installed my own tactical knob. US Handgunner does much better work than I did. The stainless bolt handle was very hard to machine down.

Thanks, has anyone that you know of been successful in modifying the factory boat paddle stock?

I've textured the grip and forend panel inserts using a soldering iron with a brass machine screw tip that I've used to heat stipple a bunch of AR grips and a couple of Glock frames. I also made and fitted inserts to the buttstock area that came out well but I'm not satisfied with the result. I would really like to just fill the void in the stock and was wondering if a bondo or marine type epopxy would work.

The Volquarsen stock is out of my price range for now but the Richards microfit stock would be doable. I was hopeing to reuse and or modify the factory synthetic stock so I wouldn't have to buy the bottom metal.

i removed the crappy sling hardware. i put a good bit of pc7/jb weld into the cavity,smoothed things accordingly. installed sling studs front and rear.bipod on the front has yet to show any sign of coming out. i am not shy with useing/abuseing it. i did the bolt knob myself. thought about doing the same thing to fill in butt area.as long as you scratch it up good the bondo,etc shouldnt go anywhere when applied.

If you have the patients, time, are good with dremal, and have some good bedding marine tex skills you can do this with a 700 stock.

DSC_8119.jpg

DSC_8120.jpg

DSC_8121.jpg

Reactions: Daddyusmaximus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hangingchads</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the patients, time, are good with dremal, and have some good bedding marine tex skills you can do this with a 700 stock.

DSC_8119.jpg

DSC_8120.jpg

DSC_8121.jpg
</div></div>

Do you have any pictures of the process? I've got a 700 stock I'd consider modifying for my Ruger.
Thanks
JMC

My Clark Custom barrel came in along with my Weigand scope base. Put it all together for a test run using a Centerpoint 4-16-Mildot Wally World special scope. I sanded out the barrel channel and it shot well with Federal value pack. I definately need a new stock and the tactical bolt knob.

That A5 ish stock is the exact look that I was looking for. I've seen that Boyds is making one that looks like it for the 10/22 but I dont know if they have any plans to make one for the 77/22. I guess I will call Boyd's tommorrow as see if they have plans on making any. Either that or buy the 10/22 stock and try to make it fit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out this site http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=R7722 There's not nearly as many aftermarket accessories available for the 77/22 as there are for the 10/22. That said, I took an old 77/22 varmint with the laminated stock, free floated the barrel, worked the trigger, installed a Karsten cheek piece, Weigand scope base with Burris Signature series rings and made and installed my own tactical knob. US Handgunner does much better work than I did. The stainless bolt handle was very hard to machine down. </div></div>

Badshot, do you have any pics of your 77/22 w/Karsten cheekpiece? I would REALLY love to see it. I have the same stock and have been trying to picture what it would look like before i buy one.

Badshot, thanks. I have a couple more questions. Are those "high" ir "med" rings and what size is your objective/bell and how is the bolt handle clearance?

I have the same "all weather" 77-22 and using the factory rings that clamp into the cutouts in the receiver, my bolt handle just touches the scope
frown.gif

It's an old competition target model Tasco (yes I know they haven't made a decent scope in a long long time...I did say "old") and I have n idea what model it is....the bolt handle wore off the numbers on it
smirk.gif

Skamaniac, the rings are Burris 1" Signature series Zee rings,medium height with .020" Pos-Align inserts used to gain more elevation. Once the barrel was floated, I ended up with enough barrel droop that I couldn't zero even at 100 yds. The scope has a 44mm objective and the homemade bolt handle clears by a little under 1/4". Mp5sd/n/k, nice rifles!

Awesome folding stock! How did you do that?
I just received my Ruger VBZ stock and was trying to decide if I wanted to just paint it or go for a full mini A5 Duraglass conversion as I've seen here in other threads.

Wow - Nice folding stock work. I just picked up a 77/22 with pipe dreams of converting it to the ubiquitous M40A1 look alike.
Anyone know what bull barrel works well with this rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow - Nice folding stock work. I just picked up a 77/22 with pipe dreams of converting it to the ubiquitous M40A1 look alike.
Anyone know what bull barrel works well with this rifle? </div></div>
The Shilen barrel I have does great.

Anyone make a stock that is similar to an M40A1 that I could just drop the re-worked action into and go play? Or do I need to go get schooled in bedding work ? I've already got a master's degree in Dremeling so I've got that portion covered...

How accurate is that Shilen barrel that you've got?? Group size? Ammo type?

They will not inlet for 77/22 stocks cause the action height is smaller than on a 700 and most other centerfire guns so the trigger would sit inside the stock too far. When I built my 700 stock for my 77/22 I had to remove about a 1/4" off the entire top of the stock to make it fit. Its not a quick process really but can be done.

good job on those rifles, hangingchads and Mp5. i have to come back and look at this thread every so often. good stuff here!

new way to get to that 100 post minimum?

sweet folders on the rugers, nice work

Nice, good to hear that the Clark is working well for you, I am going to be picking one up here in a week or so for my 77/22 build, I can't wait to see some groups to see what that barrel will do, I am also interested in seeing what kind of ammo yours likes, might give me a good starting point.

Re: Ruger 77/22 project,I'm looking for a barrel

Anyone have a 77/22 VBZ .22lr barrel they don;t need? I've benn looking foerone to buy or trade.

That appears to be the factory laminated stock for the varmint model.

No!!!!!!!!
This stock!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hangingchads</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the patients, time, are good with dremal, and have some good bedding marine tex skills you can do this with a 700 stock.

DSC_8119.jpg

DSC_8120.jpg

DSC_8121.jpg
</div></div>

Do you have any pictures of the process? I've got a 700 stock I'd consider modifying for my Ruger.
Thanks
JMC </div></div>

Then you better change your name to DrDremel....
laugh.gif