• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger 77 MkII 25-06?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have a Ruger model 77 MkII in 25-06 spotted. It stainless in a laminated stock.
I don't shoot sniper matches, or other long range- my club's range only goes out to 200 yards, but I do like an accurate rifle.
I don't hunt, unless a freind ever gets around to taking me to his place to go after pigs.

How does this rifle, and this caliber, stand up to a .308 or is it totally different?

Jim

Re: Ruger 77 MkII 25-06?

It would work fine on anything up to Mule deer with the proper ammo using a premium controlled expansion bullet.

As far as paper punching goes, it will do just fine out to at least 600 with good handloads using a good match bullet like a Sierra, berger, Nosler, hornady etc.

In my "ute" I killed 100s of woodchucks with a FN custom 25-06 with a BalVar 6-24 (many moons ago!) with 87 gr Sierra SPs and 61 gr of surplus 4831 at ranges out to 400 "back east".

If you plan to hunt Elk or Moose, the 308 would be a better (but not the best) choice.

I think 25-06 is a good choice for elk, hell theres alot of people that killed elk with a .243 winchester. I even watched a guy kill a large cow elk with a .243 winchester at 100yds dropped her in her tracks. Thats what a well placed shot at the base of the brain and spinal cord will do though.

And you have killed how many Elk? Head shots on any NA big game are an irresponsible invitation to wounded animals.

1 cow elk about 5 years ago. Mine fell quickly on the spot as well. How's is it irresponsible if both animals fell on the spot and died instantly? Both of our shots were around 100 yds. Let me guess .223 Remington cant kill deer either. How many pics have fellow hide members put on this forum that had head shots on deer from a .223, and you aint said nothing about that?

I know if a .243 Winchester can kill elk a .25-06 can do the same. Right bullet and proper shot placement is the key.

When using JBM calculator the 120gr Barnes in the 25-06 moving at 2900 fps has just a tad more enery at 400yds than a .308 winchester with a 150gr barnes. Plus the 25-06 is a flatter (By almost 10"" difference at 400yds Both are great cartridges.

I have a 25-06. It's a very versatile caliber. Shoots very fast and flat with lighter bullets for P-dogs, Woodchucks, Coyotes, or even Hogs. You can load it with heavier match bullets for paper punching out ot 600 yards or beyond. It's probably a bit small for moose with quality heavy hunting bullets, but will be good for deer, antelope, and maybe even elk although, there are much better rounds for Elk. I've shot a few Rugers, and they are quality rifles. If it has a floated barrel, and you put quality ammo through it. You should have a pretty accurate rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And you have killed how many Elk? Head shots on any NA big game are an irresponsible invitation to wounded animals.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try shooting one up the ass with a lead core. It won't get past the paunch. A TSX will end up, up in the neck If it even stays in the Elk.
You have taken how many Elk?</div></div>

Mr Humble, I found this on another thread you posted. Please dont criticize me on taken a neck/lower head shot on a elk when aparently you take "ass" shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have a Ruger model 77 MkII in 25-06 spotted. It stainless in a laminated stock.
I don't shoot sniper matches, or other long range- my club's range only goes out to 200 yards, but I do like an accurate rifle.
I don't hunt, unless a freind ever gets around to taking me to his place to go after pigs.

How does this rifle, and this caliber, stand up to a .308 or is it totally different?

Jim </div></div>

Not to criticise both of you, but Jim said he doesn't even hunt. Maybe pigs if his buddy gets a chance to take him. Maybe you could get back to answering his question. Instead of arguing.

Just my 2 cents.

This would be a just for fun rifle. I want the best I can afford, but don't want to spend more than I need. Sound familiar?
There is a guy in my club with a Remington SPS Varmint .308 that is a lot cheaper than the Ruger.

No, I don't hunt. I may shoot a "long Range" match sometime but that's not in my immediate future.

Jim

The Remington will be easier to upgrade if that is something you would like to do in the future. What model of Ruger Mk II is it? Is it a Heavy barrel target model or the Frontier? In my opinion the SPS's stock sucks, which is one thing Remington did to make it cheaper. The Rugers' Laminate stock is much nicer, and if it is a target model the trigger is a nice two stage trigger. I've seen two schools of thought on the new X-mark Remington trigger some people hate them, some people like them. I like the old Remington trigger.

In the end you'll have to decide.

Consider the Tikkas. Accurate, smooth action and relatively inexpensive.

.243 ammo is easier to find than .25-06 and the recoil is slightly less but the .25-06 is round that you can do almost everything you want with.

2 more cents.