• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ruger action worth it?

rankroddin250

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
Lewiston, Id.
www.myspace.com
Ok heres the deal I have a Ruger M77 MKII (7mm rem. mag.)that ive had for almost 10 years.

On a good day I can get maybe 2 inch groups out of it. The stock is horible! it has like a 300LB trigger and it kicks like a mule!

I was going to have the barrel re crowned, replace the stock, get a new trigger for it and posibly a muzzle brake. then I though I might as well toss the ruger barrel and get a new one...

I was going to sell my 300 weatherby to finace the upgrades then I started thinking why not sell both rifles and start from the ground up on a remmy action?

What is every ones opinion on building on a ruger action vrs remington?

Re: Ruger action worth it?

There are definately more options for the Remington, and I don't think many 'smiths like the canted recoil lug on the Ruger. That said, I built a pretty nice 6.5x284 on a ruger action using a PacNor barrel, an HS Precision stock, and a Rifle Basix trigger. I like the rifle a lot and don't think there is anything given up to a Remington on it...

Dave

Nothing wrong with a Ruger for basic shooting/hunting.But I think if you're thinking the custom route the Ruger action has so many things against it you'd be better off with a more custom friendly action..Remmy, Savage, or true custom.

Sell them both. By the time you do all of that stuff to your old Ruger, it will cost more than brand new one.

I have a couple of Hawkeyes and a Mk 2. I really like the lines, and mine happen to be accurate but the aftermarket is limited. The angled action screw makes several things challenging with it (bedding etc).

I have a pair of R77's and an R77V, .280 and .30-'06. They all do around 1MOA or better, and I'm keeping them.

If the 7mm doesn't shoot, sell it, not worth the rebuild. As is, no testimonials.

Don't laugh, but as a bargain build, I wouldn't even bother to build. IMHO, builds are for upscale applications. Hunters are tools, not art.

The factories have their act together just fine, and even the cheaper ones are adequate to the task.

I'd suggest the Remington 770. It's sound, proven, effective, complete, and inexpensive. If your budget allows, and your tastes run toward a semi, take a brief look at least at the Remington 750. Remington MSRP's.

Feed it Remington Core-Lokt Express factory hunting loads and be done with it.

Greg

I agree with the comments thus far about not wasting your time/ money on this rig if you are unpleased with it.... But I did tweak a 77 just recently myself:)
For my Daughter: I took a hand me down m77 in .243 and cut down the stock to 12.5" pull. Floated the bbl channel. Adjusted the factory trigger to 3 lbs. Also had my smith put a Rem factory .243 "take-off" bbl. The bbl was scrap for him and he charged me $200 to thread it for the Ruger and thread the muzzle for a brake/ can. The pad cost me $35 bucks.
Why I did it?
The original set up would barely break a 1" at 100. I could not stand it for her gun as she is used to shooting my other sticks (which have $$$ stacked into em). She shoots steel with me and loves the longer ranges. So I wanted this capable of sub moa period. After testing the first round of handloads, it’s at .6 moa and we have only started.
So, for a buget of less than $250 it was worth doing and she ( 10 yrs old) will enjoy it for a few years till her sister gets ahold of it.

Good luck on finding a solution to your M77/ WBY dilemma.

Abe,

m77locked.jpg

It really doesnt cost that much more to do a build properly. What i mean is, there is probably only about 200$ different when going with an action like surgeon round action or a stiller predator than it would to go with all the things needed to build the ruger correctly. Maybe even less. I like the comment above. Sell them and buy a good custom action. you can get a stiller for around 750. thats not bad at all. Midway has shilen match stainless barrels in stock for most usable applications. they are about 2 bills. 900 bucks and your almost done. you can get that out of the rifles your selling. Couple hundred more and you have a nice HS stock. I have always tried to do things the hard way. I am starting to learn it doesnt work. Do it right from the start even if it means saving a little longer. Believe me i know its hard to wait. I hate to wait for anything, but the end result will be worth it! Just my experience. Lee

I was thinking more along the lines of a $350 waly world remmy. $400 dollar krieger barrel. $150 rifle basix trigger $200 dollar hogue.(I know every one here hates hogue) for a grand total of $1100 and I can reclaim about $800 bux by sellin my other two rifles.

yall think Im better off with a custom action and a cheap barrel?

Im just a lil cornfused. Youll have to deal with me. Im new to the custom bolt gun thing. Ive just kind of delt with the crappy acuracy of my hunting rifle all these years.

But seriously I get better groups with my open sight 22 pistol than with this rifle. Id be happy with less than .5 moa.

I had my Ruger M77 rebarreled, bedded, and the trigger worked over, the rifle shoots really well...but it's no Remington. I would sell your other stuff and build one sweet rifle just the way you want it. Don't do it half ass, even if it takes some time to be able to afford all the parts. Everyone should have at least one custom built rifle that is super accurate...you won't regret the investment.

I don't understand why a ruger cost any more to build on than a 700 granted you are going to buy NEW stuff and not look for used.
Barrel same price for both
Ruger trigger can be pretty easy to set to 2.5 - 3 lbs which is plently light enough for hunting.
Bedding is not that big of a deal either.. yes it's more time consuming than a 700 but not more expensive.
My only complaint about the ruger is the intigrated bases on the reciever.

Everybody seems to think the 700 is the way to go..I will admit it is if your planning on using 2nd hand stuff, but not if your going totally new.

Me personally I think you would be crazy to sell both rifles to just to build 1 rifle on a 700 action.

I think the integrated bases are an excellent idea, and the angled recoil lug/anchor bolt serves a useful and ingenious purpose, IMHO.

My experience with a pair of KM77VT MKII's was that bedding gained absolutely nothing in accuracy or repeatability. This leads me to believe that the action/stock interface design performs unbedded as well as another rifle design can when bedded. Mine were tack drivers in .308 and .22-250.

Sturm and Roger made up an excellent design. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

Greg

I had an old Ruger tand safety 77V in .308 that would not shoot, barrel was junk, Robar reworked it with a schneider barrel and it will shoot with the best, I also had a 77v tang in swift that was an absolute tack driver from day one,I later found out Douglas made the barrells for the early Rugers in .22 cals. Rugers can be hit or miss vis accuracy,I sold my 77v swift to fund a '56 mod 70 varmint swift. the old winchester is a tack driver but is much more picky on factory ammo, ruger shot em all well.

Greg has a very good point about the angled action screw and the bedding. Perhaps they don't need bedding.

Perhaps the solution to your accuracy problem is simply a new barrel(concentrically installed) and a lighter trigger.

I too agree that everyone should have at least 1 custom rifle in their life....shows a whole new meaning to accuracy with exactly what you want.However the OP pointed out that it's just for hunting and it's a budget build.So, first key issue is do you use the 300 Weatherby much or do you really want to off it?Also, I think if you're on here poking around asking questions you may ALREADY be kinda hooked on the idea of a custom build or will WISH you did if you start half-assing on the Ruger.As I originally said, nothing wrong with a Ruger for a basic rifle..they shoot very well quite often.BUT, if you are thinking custom and you have 2 to sell and some time to make this happen I say go for it!You may want to consider maybe buying the cheapest Rem 700 in the caliber you want( maybe like at Wally world), add a nice trigger,put it in a stock you like, have the action tuned and add a brake.Tighten down a nice base, rings and good glass and you've got a reasonably priced semi custom rifle the way you want it...and it won't kill the pockets.

for your purposes, the ruger will NEVER let a deer walk that a remington would have killed. i really like the older ruger for a hunting rifle. they are no more expensive to build on FOR THIS TYPE OF RIFLE. build it on your ruger and be happy. everyone says you need a custom on a 700 because they are superior to the ruger. well, any good custom receiver is superior to the remington so where do you stop? its a budget build right? screw a new barrel on it a get to killin'. this is a good time to try a new caliber as well.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for your purposes, the ruger will NEVER let a deer walk that a remington would have killed. i really like the older ruger for a hunting rifle. they are no more expensive to build on FOR THIS TYPE OF RIFLE. build it on your ruger and be happy. everyone says you need a custom on a 700 because they are superior to the ruger. well, any good custom receiver is superior to the remington so where do you stop? its a budget build right? <span style="color: #FF0000">screw a new barrel on it a get to killin'. this is a good time to try a new caliber as well.</span>
chuck </div></div>

That is some funny shit!!!

I have a close friend thats a Ruger nut , he has two rebarreled guns (by Pac-Nor) that I fitted and bedded for him in aftermarket laminated stocks , both of these gun shoot very very well.
his first is a 24" #3 conture 1-9 twist in 280 Ackley bedded into a Boyds stock , its shoot very good putting about any decient factory 280 Ammo into 1 moa , and it will shoot 150gr ballistic tips into 1/2moa at 200yds from the bench for 3 shots.
his second is a 300 WSM that started life and a Frontier (or whatever that short barreled abortion of a rifle was called) , it was rebarreled to a 300 WSM , 30" fluted Heavy Palma conture 5 groove 1-9 twist bedded into a Richards Micrfit stock as a single shot. He shoots 240gr SMK's out of this gun and i have personaly shot 3" 10 shot groups at 500yds with it.

So the Rugers can be made to shoot and I'm sure that the action "trueing" services that pac-Nor offers are minimal conpaired to what a highend smith would do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too agree that everyone should have at least 1 custom rifle in their life....shows a whole new meaning to accuracy with exactly what you want.However the OP pointed out that it's just for hunting and it's a budget build.So, first key issue is do you use the 300 Weatherby much or do you really want to off it?Also, I think if you're on here poking around asking questions you may ALREADY be kinda hooked on the idea of a custom build or will WISH you did if you start half-assing on the Ruger.As I originally said, nothing wrong with a Ruger for a basic rifle..they shoot very well quite often.BUT, if you are thinking custom and you have 2 to sell and some time to make this happen I say go for it!You may want to consider maybe buying the cheapest Rem 700 in the caliber you want( maybe like at Wally world), add a nice trigger,put it in a stock you like, have the action tuned and add a brake.Tighten down a nice base, rings and good glass and you've got a reasonably priced semi custom rifle the way you want it...and it won't kill the pockets. </div></div>

The 300wby is sitting new in box in my closet where it has been for the last 2 years.
laugh.gif

The build you described is prety much along the lines I want to go. I guess what im wondering is will I get the same results accuracy wise if I do the same build on my current ruger action or if I should go with the remmy action to squeeze a lil more out of the build?

Glass isnt an issue. I already have a 3-12 sightron parked on top of my 7mm.

I'd deffinatly ditch that stock.

either way , the rem or the ruger , if a premium barrel is used and a good smith does a good job the gun will probably shoot better than most men can shoot it

Hall of fame BR shooter , world record holder and custom rifle builder Don Geracci told me one time (when we were having a friendly argument about blueprinting Rem actions) "you can set the round off with a hammer , as long as the barrel is good and the chamber is cut properly it'll shoot"
Their ar not as many aftermarket goodies for the Ruger actions as the Rem 700 but their are a few good triggers out their and some good stocks so a fine rifle can be build either way.

Personaly I'd sell the two Rugers and build the Rem 700

Im think Ive made up my mind to re barrel the ruger for my hunting rig and what money I save there put in an acount for a full on custom build later on.

my buddie back in montana is learning the ropes on rifle building from his smith grandpa and eventualy im guna have him build me a 1000 yard tactical rig.

I sold my MKII's to make mortgage payments. It was a difficult choice, but they had the higher resale value.

The R77's and R77V I have now are all MKI's.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.BUT, if you are thinking custom and you have 2 to sell and some time to make this happen I say go for it!You may want to consider maybe buying the cheapest Rem 700 in the caliber you want( maybe like at Wally world), add a nice trigger,put it in a stock you like, have the action tuned and add a brake.Tighten down a nice base, rings and good glass and you've got a reasonably priced semi custom rifle the way you want it...and it won't kill the pockets. </div></div>

That is Crazy..Why not keep the action you got..Sell the weatherby to fund a new barrel( which you can make in ANY caliber). put new stock and trigger in and you as full custom as you can get without a custom action. And you done this for less money out of your pocket than buying a cheap 700 doing all that work too and still having the same crappy factory barrel..

People get hung up on 700's ..I have recently started tinkering with a local gunsmith an I can understand why smiths like them..To me they are by far the easiest and most money versus time action to work on. to me more custom builds are built on the 700 becuase of smith and component availabilty than becuase the action is so much greater than all the rest. If someone could please show me some cold hard fact that make a remington that much greater tehn please show me..I'm ready to be convinced..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: summitsitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.BUT, if you are thinking custom and you have 2 to sell and some time to make this happen I say go for it!You may want to consider maybe buying the cheapest Rem 700 in the caliber you want( maybe like at Wally world), add a nice trigger,put it in a stock you like, have the action tuned and add a brake.Tighten down a nice base, rings and good glass and you've got a reasonably priced semi custom rifle the way you want it...and it won't kill the pockets. </div></div>

That is Crazy..Why not keep the action you got..Sell the weatherby to fund a new barrel( which you can make in ANY caliber). put new stock and trigger in and you as full custom as you can get without a custom action. </div></div>

Thats pretty much what ive decided on.
laugh.gif

I bought a SS .25-06 M77 Mk-II and she was a bit of a disappointment from the factory. I'm not a great rifleman but all I could get outta it was 1.5-1.75" groups at 100 yards. I really wasn't pleased with the trigger or stock so i replaced both. I went with a timney trigger that I installed myself and a hogue full aluminum chassis stock(GASP). Now it will shoot most factory ammunition under 1" @ 100 yards (3 shot groups) and I've had some great luck with 110 gr Nosler Accubonds over magpro powder. Not counting called flyers I've shot a half dozen groups that where sub 1/2 moa easily. I've also used factory Winchester 90gr positive expanding point ammo for groundhogs out to 550 yards.
It's true that there isn't nearly the aftermarket out there for Rugers but they can be made to shoot.

BTW, whats the problem with the Hogue stocks, I love mine!

Yes, the factory trigger is horrible. Just a little info, I use my rifle to hunt deer and the Hogue stock with the full length aluminum chassis is a bit heavy to lug around the woods all day.
That would be my only grip though. The all weather coating gives great purchase no matter what the weather, it doesn't feel cold to the touch regardless of the temp, and best of all it is really quite if hit against something. Also, the Timney trigger needed to be fit but if you are the least bit mechanical and have some patience you should be fine doing it yourself. Good luck.

I still want to know why the Hogue stock has such a bad wrap?

i have alot of remingtons.....and only one ruger. and theres a reason for that. you cant really beat a remington action and EVERYONE works on remmy 700s. ide sell em both and get a nice remington setup with a good trigger and ull be good to go

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still want to know why the Hogue stock has such a bad wrap? </div></div>

Becuase it doesn't cost half a grand of more is about the only reason I've come up with. LOL..To me anything with a alum. bedding block is gonna be just as strong as the next thing. I've tryed the pillar bedded one and yea it's kinda weak at the forearm but the FL bedded one is just as strong IMHO.

I'm sure that the hogue stock doesn't compare head to head with the McMillans, H-S Precisioin, and the like but I purchased my hogue for a shade less than $200. In that price range it seems like really great quality.

@Mica,

Keep the Ruger. For a hunting weapon the CRF mauser claw is a real plus. The stock trigger might even be able to be retained, have your smith look at it. I have a friend with a couple Ruger's and both shoot between .75 and 1 moa with hand loads. That's with the factory tubes, and a worked over stock trigger.

There are several barrel makers who are genuinely good: Shilen, Benchmark (they do make GREAT center fire tubes), Pac-Nor, Hart, Lilja, Kreiger (LONG wait time usually but well worth it, and they now do *TRUE* Obermeyer 5R barrels), and Lothar-Walther all come to mind. In fact: http://www.6mmbr.com/barrels.html most any one of these folks make very good to great barrels.

As for the chamber: If you go 7mm again I would make sure to get a 9 twist barrel for a magnum. Then again, your smith likely can do just about Any dang thing you can imagine, so trying out something different would be very easy at this point. For a hunting weapon, I would not go over a #5 taper. In fact, I would probably go for a good 'heavy magnum factory' taper of some kind. There are MANY good ones, some will look better to Your Eye than others.

In short, that Ruger of yours can dang sure be made to shoot very well, and not break your bank acct. Save up your money and build a true tack driver later on, keep the Ruger for now. Rugers put meat in the freezer, nuff said!

Good Hunting,
Gary

I took a dremel to the stock today, it was realy tight all the way around the barrel. it looks UGLY now!!! I dont have very steady hands or patience when it comes to grinding. Now you can slide a playing card between the barrel and stock all the way back to the action. It got dark on me b4 I could shoot it but Ill let you all know how that efected my grouping. Now that ive decided to keep the ruger action im trying to see if the barrel is toast or if I can get away with keeping it a little longer too.

I've got an M77 Mk II Allweather (stainless/composite) in 7 RM...first time to the range I ran a box of rounds thorugh it, got it sighted in then set down t' shootin. First serious 5 shot group was about .75". I agree...the stock sucks and the trigger took a phone call and was put on hold before it let go, and that was being pulled by an old Ford tractor...but seriously, the thing was a tack driver. No group after that was over 1". This was with PMC 140g PSP's, which shot better than twice as expensive Hornaday Moly's. What I don't know is where that first cold shot will go...
confused.gif

For what it is, I love the rifle. I don't expect it to be something it's not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im think Ive made up my mind to re barrel the ruger for my hunting rig and what money I save there put in an acount for a full on custom build later on.

my buddie back in montana is learning the ropes on rifle building from his smith grandpa and eventualy im guna have him build me a 1000 yard tactical rig. </div></div>Before you do that, get the trigger either worked on or changed. You can't imagine how much difference that'll make in your shooting. The Ruger trigger is one of the worst factory triggers I've ever felt. You squeeze, wait, squeeze harder, wait, squeeze harder, and more, wait, squeeze some more, wait, squeBANG!