• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger Alaskan holster

Jakebrake300

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Sagle, Idaho
Hey I’ve got a Ruger Alaskan in the .454 Casul and am lookin for a new holster for it . I currently have a nice custom made leather one that I carry on my right side but after about 8 years of being abused it’s in need of a little repair! Anyone have a favorite they’d recommend? I would not mind a chest holster but I’m afraid it will be in the way of my bino harness.... Just lookin for a nice comfortable easy to access rig .

Hey thanks ! I really like that Kenai holster , maybe I’ll pick one up and play with it... Ya I love my alaskan and I actually shoot it quite a bit. My dad just bought the Toklat and it shoots about the same, I like my short barrel for packing .

I carry my Toklat in a Diamond D guide holster. Have had great luck with it on a lot of backpacking trips l.

I just looked at their website and I do like those a lot also, I wonder can you wear it lower so your binoculars if in a chest bino harness are not in the way?

I just looked at their website and I do like those a lot also, I wonder can you wear it lower so your binoculars if in a chest bino harness are not in the way?

In this video around the 50 second mark it shows the Kenai with a bino rig. I wonder if a setup like that would work for you.

In this video around the 50 second mark it shows the Kenai with a bino rig. I wonder if a setup like that would work for you.

That’s really interesting, thank you I have been watching YouTube videos for the last hour now and trying to find out more about the kenai and double d which I seem to like both of them a lot. The Kenai seems to be a little more adjustable and slender I’m really tempted to play around with one ...

Thanks I’ve never heard of them before, probably not what I’m looking for but I think I’ll order the buttstock ammo holder!

Two friends and I drug two Alaskan around Kodiak last year. We used the Diamond chest rig and we did plenty of climbing and fighting through the brush. That setup flat out works! Weight was never noticed and I would say we are all far from "in shape".

They have extensions for the holster but if your binoc's are of any size I don't think chest is the right spot to carry. I don't believe the extensions are meant to lower the gun.

Two friends and I drug two Alaskan around Kodiak last year. We used the Diamond chest rig and we did plenty of climbing and fighting through the brush. That setup flat out works! Weight was never noticed and I would say we are all far from "in shape".

They have extensions for the holster but if your binoc's are of any size I don't think chest is the right spot to carry. I don't believe the extensions are meant to lower the gun.
Thanks for the info , did it feel like it really held your pistol in there well or was it loose? How was the angle as far as drawing?

The Kenai is really nice and comfortable. I use it with a HK P30L around my place. Pistol locks up super tight. The binocular harness might get in the way though. You could probably rig up something to work off the chest strap though. Let me know if can help anymore.

I’ve been wanting to get a Gunfighters Kenai for my Alaskan for a while now but just haven’t really needed it. I have a few other holsters of theirs and love them.

Today I got an email for a coupon on in stock Kenai holsters good until 10/5. Code is ready2hunt.

Edit: Coupon is for 20% off.

Last edited:
Never had any issues with a loose handgun....even though it rained for 4 days straight. Should have lubed the hell out of them. Mine got a little bit of surface rust on the hammer.

We practiced drawing and firing trying to simulate panic so it really was just a matter of a few hundred rounds of 45 Colt with a more than a few Casull loads to surprise you. We had plenty of bear issues but no emergencies.