• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ruger American 22lr rifle suggestion

silentheart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
dear members with Ruger American 22lr experience, I need some suggestions/advices.
1 sorry, I am not a Ruger rifle fan and my experience with Ruger rifles is average only.
Here is the story.
We have a tikka t1x in 22lr that shoot under 1 moa on a good day and about 1 moa on an average day. Even Mrs. Can shoot around 1 moa with cci sv or Norma tac most of day. I had the trigger tuned down to 2lb and replaced the plastic stock with a Boyd’s at one. A friend barrow it to do some canadian geese control in his backyard. He scored 2 kills and was very impressed. Now he asked me to get a stock rifle as good as my t1x and I looked up the current t1x price and it is a little too much for stock rifle+rail+Arken scope is a little out of his budget.
So, I did some research and saw Ruger American predator 22lr is in a good price range and comes w a rail.
I know the Ruger American is not as accurate as tikka t1x grouping wise with most of ammo. Especially with cci sv and Norma tac because they are cheaper and available. How is your experience with Ruger American 22lr? What is your accuracy with selected ammo it likes? How about the plastic stock? Is it right enough that it will not flex under load?
I do like the Ruger American can take any 10/22 mag which is a plus. Any pro and con you like to share? Any suggestion to accurize a Ruger American 22lr?
Thanks in advance.

i have had a couple of savage mk2s. they all shot 10 into 1" @ 50 or better using eley team,contact,club,tac 22 etc. they are rough actions,some very rough. they do shoot and the triggers are adjustable and livable. they aren't t1x,anschutz or cz but at price point,i don't think you can beat them in a BA. the FV model is easily affordable for most people. also,10/22 if wanting an auto gun?

I would go savage over Ruger also. Just read too many negatives on Ruger. I know too many people with Savage guns and they shoot well enough for the most.

I did research into savage mark II. Only issue stop me to endorse savage mkii is the magazine is not as durable as other. But the price for mkii is good and mag is available at reasonable price too.
I will keep mkii as an option.
Thanks

I did research into savage mark II. Only issue stop me to endorse savage mkii is the magazine is not as durable as other. But the price for mkii is good and mag is available at reasonable price too.
I will keep mkii as an option.
Than
dear members with Ruger American 22lr experience, I need some suggestions/advices.
1 sorry, I am not a Ruger rifle fan and my experience with Ruger rifles is average only.
Here is the story.
We have a tikka t1x in 22lr that shoot under 1 moa on a good day and about 1 moa on an average day. Even Mrs. Can shoot around 1 moa with cci sv or Norma tac most of day. I had the trigger tuned down to 2lb and replaced the plastic stock with a Boyd’s at one. A friend barrow it to do some canadian geese control in his backyard. He scored 2 kills and was very impressed. Now he asked me to get a stock rifle as good as my t1x and I looked up the current t1x price and it is a little too much for stock rifle+rail+Arken scope is a little out of his budget.
So, I did some research and saw Ruger American predator 22lr is in a good price range and comes w a rail.
I know the Ruger American is not as accurate as tikka t1x grouping wise with most of ammo. Especially with cci sv and Norma tac because they are cheaper and available. How is your experience with Ruger American 22lr? What is your accuracy with selected ammo it likes? How about the plastic stock? Is it right enough that it will not flex under load?
I do like the Ruger American can take any 10/22 mag which is a plus. Any pro and con you like to share? Any suggestion to accurize a Ruger American 22lr?
Thanks in advance.
Are you asking about this model? https://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html

My buddy has a Ruger American 22LR. It shoots CCI SV almost as good as my CZ455.

Sure would like to hear about that new Remington 22 rifle and some first hand experience.

My savages, 22 and 17, are both accurate. Haven't had any issues with magazines, both are probably 20 years old. The .17 is usually right at moa or under at 100 on a calm day.

I had a RAR Compact that benefited greatly from a pressure pad between the barrel and the stock at forwardmost part of the stock. Cut the groups in half. Action screws at 25 pounds was the sweet spot for that particular unit if I recall correct. I know these are free floated, but consider trying a pressure pad at various points along the stock.

Reactions: silentheart
We have a Ruger American target in the thumbhole stock & are happy with it, only thing done to it was a trim of the trigger spring to get it down to about 2lbs.

We have (2) RAR Precisions and (1) RAR Target. All 3 shoot CCI SV very well.

Also note that we had a RAR compact that wouldn’t really shoot anything well. From Thunderbolts to Center-X. All equally under average. (1.5” for 5 shots@50).

I guess we’re at 75%.

After spoke to my friend, he is going with savage. Magazine is not a major issue because he is going to buy another 2 10 rounds mags.
Thank you all for your suggestions and advices.

I was planning to get a Savage but traded into a Ruger American rimfire.
IMG_4569.jpeg

This group in the center is 10rds of CCI SVat 25yds. The rifle I traded into has a Timney trigger that is probably at 2-3lbs. I really enjoy this little guy, just wish there were more stock options.

Nothing wrong with the Ruger but a Bergara BMR is better for a bit more AND Tikkas but I think a Ruger American is a nice bolt gun.I have the BMR as my most accurate bolt rifle .I doubt I will ever consider anything higher priced maybe a B14,

I had a Ruger American Rimfire Long Range Target that was average at best with CCI SV. I sold it and got a CZ 457 and haven't looked back. If the guy is budget limited, I agree with the recomendations for the Savage Mk II.

Is he mistaken or did we miss something?I don’t think there is a new Remington Rifle but I’ve been wrong before!

I started my journey down the 22 rabbit hole ( the most recent journey anyway participating NRL22 and similar pursuits) with a humble savage MKII FV-SR. I have since upgraded, but it shoots way better than a $250 rifle should. One of my local shooting groups does a match with targets out to 300 yards or so. One guy there was a new shooter trying to decide what to get. I handed him my savage and a ten round mag, advised him the dope needed for 300, and he proceeded to hit 8/10 at 300 with a gun he had never handled before. I think that is pretty darn good.
another club I shoot at has a silhouette match shooting off the bench with 1/5 scale targets, and I have shot several perfect scores with the savage. Elitists may turn up a nose to such a gun, but for an economy rifle you can’t beat them

yes the magazines are flimsy and I did have some extraction issues with some ammo types. But in both cases, I contacted Savage and they sent me spare extractor parts and new magazines without fuss at all. I solved my extraction problems changing to different ammo, and still have the spare parts

I WANT to like ruger ( one of the factories is 15 minutes from the house and employs a lot of local people) but there are just too many QC issues as of late. several shooters I know have tried the Ruger precision ( basically an American action in a different stock) and one had great luck, while others have been sent back to the factory multiple times and never did shoot right